Author Topic: How to solder cable to PCB (for Rosewill perhaps)  (Read 5750 times)

Offline zippox

How to solder cable to PCB (for Rosewill perhaps)
« on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 12:48:59 »
Is there a tutorial somewhere that outlines how to solder a cable to a PCB? I've been contemplating getting the Rosewill keyboard but with the connection issue I'd be happier making the cable a part of the keyboard instead of being detachable.

Offline Grimey

Re: How to solder cable to PCB (for Rosewill perhaps)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 14:11:31 »
After opening the case and having a look at the PCB, you will notice that the traces leading to the USB Mini port are easy to follow to pin on the PCB.

So if you are inclined to do this...
Cut off the Mini side of your USB cable, stripping and exposing the wires.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb will give you the color association you need to solder them to the PCB board.
Decide then to either de-solder and remove the USB Mini port to route the wire through that hole or whatever you decide is the easiest way.

I have done this for a friend,  I ended up epoxying the cable to the PCB board in the location where the the Mini Port sat.  Was easy enough to do, I am not sure if the modern Rosewill keyboards need to have this done or not.
Erlang your pants off

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:01:40 »
Soarer's diagrams refer to "Data" and "Clock"

These refer to "Data +" and "Data -"

Is there a standard designation regarding "clock" relative to data plus and minus?

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline zippox

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:10:15 »
I saw a couple weeks ago a photo of someone that soldered the wires to the board (I believe it was from geekhack). I can't find it for the life of me and I think it would be good reference to see that, and also to see how others have drilled the proper sized hole --or expanded the existing one.  If anyone knows it exists I would appreciate help finding it.

Decide then to either de-solder and remove the USB Mini port to route the wire through that hole or whatever you decide is the easiest way.

Are you implying that you could solder a new wire to the same connections that the microusb goes to (without removing the micro usb port) and be able to use either? This probably sounds dumb but that would still give me the option to remove my soldered cable later on and go back the micro port if I find out I screwed up or don't like it.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:39:50 »
Are you implying that you could solder a new wire to the same connections that the microusb goes to (without removing the micro usb port) and be able to use either? This probably sounds dumb but that would still give me the option to remove my soldered cable later on and go back the micro port if I find out I screwed up or don't like it.

I don't see why this would be a problem, where you intercept the signals from the controller shouldn't matter.
Erlang your pants off

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:56:29 »
I'm also interested to see one (picture or video tutorial) as my Rosewill RK9000's USB is having issues.