Author Topic: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Over)  (Read 106450 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: [GB] Alps DCS Infinity modifier kit (Caps here?)
« Reply #300 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 07:32:37 »
The color is a little lighter than I expected, but still looks great.

As for the font, I could care less.  I actually don't mind bold, strong text legends over more subtle legends.  It looks fine to me.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #301 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 07:48:19 »
I also thought the font was going to be the same as in the render, and I was completely fine with that.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #302 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 09:47:37 »
They look fine to me!

Offline E3E

« Reply #303 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 10:14:19 »
I also thought the font was going to be the same as in the render, and I was completely fine with that.

Yep! While I do remember the Cherry font being mentioned, I kept picturing this set with the render's font when imagining the layout on my Infinity. NBD!

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #304 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:11:13 »
Colour looks great and the font is fine, I'm happy either way, Just waiting for my infinity lol.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #305 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:35:21 »
Thank you everyone for the kind words.  I am still going to try to get it fixed, but barring that, it takes away quite a bit of my anxiety with you guys showing me the support with what was received. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #306 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:43:46 »
Thank you everyone for the kind words.  I am still going to try to get it fixed, but barring that, it takes away quite a bit of my anxiety with you guys showing me the support with what was received.

Word. I'm really impressed with everyone's responses so far.

I'm interested to see what happens. This is SP's error, but it's an understandable one. If they own up to it, maybe they will offer a partial refund for those who want to keep them as-is. The rest they can probably replace and post for sale in the PMK store. That would make a lot of folks happy who were late to the party on this buy.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #307 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 11:46:38 »
Fonts look fine to me.  Idk what the difference is honestly between these fonts and cherry but in happy

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline E3E

« Reply #308 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 15:00:28 »
If your hypothesis lines up with what SP actually decides to do, I might just have to have both the original font and the Cherry font versions. I mean, it's almost like a misprinted action figure or collectible trading card or comic or something, right? It's a piece of history now, haha. :thumb: There's no way I couldn't have both of them if it came down to it.

I'm interested to see what happens. This is SP's error, but it's an understandable one. If they own up to it, maybe they will offer a partial refund for those who want to keep them as-is. The rest they can probably replace and post for sale in the PMK store. That would make a lot of folks happy who were late to the party on this buy.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 15:24:19 »
If your hypothesis lines up with what SP actually decides to do, I might just have to have both the original font and the Cherry font versions. I mean, it's almost like a misprinted action figure or collectible trading card or comic or something, right? It's a piece of history now, haha. :thumb: There's no way I couldn't have both of them if it came down to it.

Misprint from the very first Alps group buy...I can see that receiving collector attention one day. Then again, usually the things we think will be worth something never will, because everybody else thinks that too.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline E3E

« Reply #310 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 15:46:19 »
Misprint from the very first Alps group buy...I can see that receiving collector attention one day. Then again, usually the things we think will be worth something never will, because everybody else thinks that too.

Haha, well there is THAT aspect of it too, sure. I just think it'd be cool to have though! A rarity, regardless of worth, especially if Cherry font'd corrected sets are offered on PMK. Definitely something that I want along with the corrected sets if that happens, BUT I'm trying not to get too far ahead of things now. I'm happy with what this is currently though.  :thumb:

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #311 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 15:58:27 »
I don't want to be too quick to place blame for this minor mishap, though.  If the exact font was not explicitly finalized and confirmed between both parties when the final order was placed, and not specified in the invoice, I don't think there is a clear blame.  These things happen.

Regardless, the font works for me as is.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 16:39:44 »
Well, if the font was explicitly stated at the beginning and agreed upon and everything else was fine tuning, then yes, it is SPs fault.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 16:54:13 »
I don't want to be too quick to place blame for this minor mishap, though.  If the exact font was not explicitly finalized and confirmed between both parties when the final order was placed, and not specified in the invoice, I don't think there is a clear blame.  These things happen.

Regardless, the font works for me as is.

It's been my experience, having spent 8 years in manufacturing, that any time a customer had an issue like this, the manufacturer takes the blame for pulling the trigger on production without clarifying the specifications, even if the prints/designs made no explicit mention of it. Putting legends on a keycap without asking which font to use is a lot like tapping a screw hole in a part without asking the thread size.

That said, any reasonable customer usually recognizes that they could have helped avoid the issue by stating things more clearly, and it's hard to find good vendors so you want to keep them happy with you as a customer. So they'll usually work with the vendor to find a solution that's fair to both parties. In our case, we don't want SP to change their policies or prices for community-run group buys, so we don't want to make unreasonable demands. It's a weird dynamic, though, because their only true customer here is Badwrench, but he also represents the entire community so SP should have an interest in keeping all of us happy.

I think if they offer a partial refund option for those who want to keep the set as-is, then sell the returns on PMK, that would be a fair compromise and nobody could really complain about that. They don't even have to reproduce every key--the custom logo legends and the GEEK HACK key are fine as-is.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:01:18 »
Well, if the font was explicitly stated at the beginning and agreed upon and everything else was fine tuning, then yes, it is SPs fault.
So, after going back through all my emails it looks like I started with cherry font.  During all the fine tuning and changes a new email thread was started since the original was getting too long.  In the new thread I left out the font specification.  While in the newer thread the order was placed.  There was never any mention again of font and the invoice merely said Infinity alps cap set.  I see mistakes on both sides with me or SP never confirming font other than when this all first started. 

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:16:45 »
So, after going back through all my emails it looks like I started with cherry font.  During all the fine tuning and changes a new email thread was started since the original was getting too long.  In the new thread I left out the font specification.  While in the newer thread the order was placed.  There was never any mention again of font and the invoice merely said Infinity alps cap set.  I see mistakes on both sides with me or SP never confirming font other than when this all first started.

Maybe I should ask for a mockup of some kind before finalizing my order. I have a feeling SP might do this from now on anyway.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 17:34:01 »

Maybe I should ask for a mockup of some kind before finalizing my order. I have a feeling SP might do this from now on anyway.
This is a lot easier said than done (Nubbinator can confirm).  If you have the means though, I would.

Offline Applet

« Reply #317 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 15:17:03 »
It's fine. I'd prefer the cherry font, but if SP doesn't want to replace them, it's no big deal (for me a least).  ^-^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #318 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 15:21:14 »
I'm not into the font or how the text is positioned. Definitely would like Cherry font. Looking forward to seeing how SP replies to you Badwrench.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #319 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 19:15:54 »
I'm not into the font or how the text is positioned. Definitely would like Cherry font. Looking forward to seeing how SP replies to you Badwrench.

I am not a fan either.  I am currently working with SP and will update once I have details.   

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #320 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:09:46 »
To be fair, the text on the set looks like the mock up in the OP.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #321 on: Mon, 31 August 2015, 20:19:56 »
Holding my breath.  Please reply soon, I don't want to pass out or die.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #322 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:43:54 »
Ok everyone, it looks like SP is going to re-run the incorrect caps.  As soon as they know the production schedule, I will be notified.  I will update this thread as I get the info.  Sorry for the delay everyone. 

Offline Applet

« Reply #323 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:48:41 »
Great news!  :D

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:50:25 »
Great news for people that only liked the cherry font.   My question (as I am just curious). They made the full run, and shipped them all to you? Or made all the sets and shipped 1 set to you? Or something similar?  Also what happens with the incorrectly made set/sets?

Thanks for being awesome!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:56:22 »
 :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 14:57:38 »
Ok everyone, it looks like SP is going to re-run the incorrect caps.  As soon as they know the production schedule, I will be notified.  I will update this thread as I get the info.  Sorry for the delay everyone.

Thanks Badwrench for all the hard work :D

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #327 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:03:35 »
Great news for people that only liked the cherry font.   My question (as I am just curious). They made the full run, and shipped them all to you? Or made all the sets and shipped 1 set to you? Or something similar?  Also what happens with the incorrectly made set/sets?

The sets that were already made are ours.  I am planning on shipping them with the correct sets for those that want them.   :thumb:

Offline scubaste

« Reply #328 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:07:01 »

The sets that were already made are ours.  I am planning on shipping them with the correct sets for those that want them.   :thumb:

Thanks for all your hard work Badwrench. I'm guessing you would have already stated it if you knew, but any idea where this will put the final shipping date roughly.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #329 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:09:00 »

Thanks for all your hard work Badwrench. I'm guessing you would have already stated it if you knew, but any idea where this will put the final shipping date roughly.

No date as of yet.  I am hoping not the whole 4-6 weeks again to get it re-done.  I am sure they will let me know asap.

Offline E3E

« Reply #330 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:14:54 »

Amazing! Yes, please. I'll take both. I actually really like the mock-up style erroneous set and I'm sure I'll love the Cherry legends too. :D

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:20:53 »
Woah so basically a2 for 1  deal if we want.  Worth the wait for sure.  Again thanks for all the work you are doing for this.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:29:50 »
Woah so basically a2 for 1  deal if we want.  Worth the wait for sure.  Again thanks for all the work you are doing for this.

Amazing! Yes, please. I'll take both. I actually really like the mock-up style erroneous set and I'm sure I'll love the Cherry legends too. :D

Sort of.  Keep in mind that the custom keys (alps/slider/GH key/blanks) were all correct, so they will not be remade.  It will not quite be a complete second set. 

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #333 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:31:10 »
Gotcha.  Still in though :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #334 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:57:58 »
Awesome news Badwrench. I vote that if there's any mistake sets people don't want that we sell them to make your set free and/or sponsor future Alps legends.

Offline Applet

« Reply #335 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 16:28:39 »
You can sell my errorneous keycaps if you want, I don'tmind. As long as I get the cherry font keys and custom keys, I'm happy  ^-^

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #336 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 16:36:20 »
Sort of.  Keep in mind that the custom keys (alps/slider/GH key/blanks) were all correct, so they will not be remade.  It will not quite be a complete second set.

Eh, close enough. My keyboards tend to be a little wonky because I type in dvorak and not many sets come with adapter kits. Some mismatched fonts will barely be noticed.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline kennardsmith

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 17:12:18 »

thanks for running a great group buy badwrench. I think this is the best possible outcome we could hope for
[Control] is just left side of [A]. It comes from Sun Type3 key layout.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 18:40:03 »
Great news.  What are we going to do with the mistaken sets?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:16:38 »
Great news.  What are we going to do with the mistaken sets?

This.

Offline SJHL

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 19:35:51 »
Thank you for your hard work! Def. interested in both of them.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 20:25:20 »
thanks, didn't read everything I should have.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 20:53:01 »
You can sell the extras from my two sets. I don't need them, and they may help out some other folks who missed the buy window.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:17:00 »
thanks, didn't read everything I should have.

No worries at all.  I do it all the time. 

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:26:36 »
Awesome news!

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:40:14 »
will shipping rates need to be adjusted due to the added caps?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:52:00 »

Shouldn't need to be.  I bought boxes that were a little large, and they still fit 2 sets of modifiers easily with bubble wrap.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:53:38 »

Shouldn't need to be.  I bought boxes that were a little large, and they still fit 2 sets of modifiers easily with bubble wrap.

Just make sure you pack them in plastic clamshells from GMK so they get that nice, worn-in tumbled look.

My boards:
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 21:57:54 »

Just make sure you pack them in plastic clamshells from GMK so they get that nice, worn-in tumbled look.

Already way ahead of you.  I have them all in a large box so that my cat can sleep on them and keep moving them around.  She loves them!

jk

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #349 on: Fri, 04 September 2015, 06:30:33 »
Good to hear SP is re doing them, Maybe they will be here same time as the Infinity lol