Author Topic: Clear stablizers - do not  (Read 2336 times)

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Clear stablizers - do not
« on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 19:52:24 »
I thought I'd try out a few different components on a quick build (DZ60 from KBD, stabs also from KBD). Holy moly rattly as all heck. The board's all soldered so they're pretty much locked in unless I some day feel like desoldering all LEDs and switches, something which I have sworn off ever doing again, so I'll probably just use them as maracas at some kind of holiday event or celebration.

These are them: https://kbdfans.cn/collections/keyboard-part/products/transparent-pcb-stabilizers-27

Do not touch, a thorough thumbs down.

Offline Jacob4341

Re: Clear stablizers - do not
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 20:29:25 »
Any lube or mods to stabs at all?

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 22:56:36 »
None, just a boat load of rattle. I don't think any mod will help the loose fit.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 23:05:40 »
None, just a boat load of rattle. I don't think any mod will help the loose fit.

Seriously?

If you leave Cherry stabilizers unmodded, they will also rattle. Cherry style stabilizers, no matter the material, need to be modded.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 23:10:01 »
Don't get KBDfans assembly service/stabs. They're hands down one of the worst I've seen so far, and the soldering job is ****. Had to desolder the entire board and buy a new PCB.
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 23:20:27 »
I assembled it myself, I just used the wrong components stabs which I now regret.

So what can I do do deal with the rattle? I've used plenty of the black stabs (whether they were original cherry/gmk or clones, I don't know), but the clear ones are an order of magnitude worse.

Offline bitzie

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 May 2018, 23:52:52 »
I assembled it myself, I just used the wrong components stabs which I now regret.

So what can I do do deal with the rattle? I've used plenty of the black stabs (whether they were original cherry/gmk or clones, I don't know), but the clear ones are an order of magnitude worse.

Try to lube them as best as you can after the fact?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 08:42:55 »
You'll never be able to get lube where it really matters after the fact -- the hole in the slider where the end of the wire sits. You can try to get some on the slider faces and the wire clip in point which could help a bit, but those are not the main source of rattle. Life lesson is to always spend a few extra dollars on genuine stabs and always lube them. Cheap assembly services won't, so simply refuse those services.
keyboards.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 09:52:09 »
Pull em out, mod em like you should have originally, and gg  :thumb:

Offline emenelopee

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 12:19:21 »
Eh, I hate desoldering LEDs. I'll give this one up to the kb gods. They can figure out what to do with it.

I looked up "gg" once before - I don't remember what it means so I'm sticking with my first assumption and continue to read "golly gosh".

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 May 2018, 13:07:46 »
Eh, I hate desoldering LEDs. I'll give this one up to the kb gods. They can figure out what to do with it.

I looked up "gg" once before - I don't remember what it means so I'm sticking with my first assumption and continue to read "golly gosh".

good game