Author Topic: MX Blacks for harvest  (Read 3068 times)

Offline JP

About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: MX Blacks for harvest
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 January 2018, 00:42:00 »
Quote from: the fine print
The G80-1800s these were harvested from had USB cables on them, so therefore these are not considered "vintage blacks". They are, however, well worn stems so they're buttery smooth. We recommend opening them up, cleaning the stems and housing, lubing and replacing the springs for the best feels...

Still, $20 for a whole board's worth o' switches, that's pretty good.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:43:20 »
Considering I had to pay around $70 dollars for my winkeyed 1800 with WoB pom, this makes me kind of sad.
Sure they don't have 6kro, and have 3 more keys than they should (and aren't ansi), but if the pcbs look that clean, the boards themselves couldn't have been half bad...
I just hate the thought of perfectly good boards getting torched to make some half-assed bezel-less 60%... the term 'vintage blacks for sale' probably angers me more then 'ivory' angers normal people

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 18:54:09 »
"In switch wire" that has to be removed? No way, that is a lot of work, plus desoldering, unless you enjoy heating and pulling.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 19:24:09 »
Considering I had to pay around $70 dollars for my winkeyed 1800 with WoB pom, this makes me kind of sad.
Sure they don't have 6kro, and have 3 more keys than they should (and aren't ansi), but if the pcbs look that clean, the boards themselves couldn't have been half bad...
I just hate the thought of perfectly good boards getting torched to make some half-assed bezel-less 60%... the term 'vintage blacks for sale' probably angers me more then 'ivory' angers normal people

I feel your pain. I get the same feeling every time I see a batch of WYSE keyboards being sold as “vintage blacks” donors.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 20:36:17 »

I feel your pain. I get the same feeling every time I see a batch of WYSE keyboards being sold as “vintage blacks” donors.

I recently picked up what looks to be a rebranded or at least same tooling (Autozone logo + custom legends on some keys) WYSE terminal mostly ANSI board. Worked myself up to tearing the PCB off, but felt bad enough knowing I was going to handwire it back together.
I'm shocked people can afford to hack up WYSE boards in mass anymore considering how cheap new Cherry and clone switches are, and how the fleabay prices for WYSE boards keep rising.

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:07:23 »
MOD EDIT:  Keep classified posts in the classifieds
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 February 2018, 19:26:15 by ghostjuggernaut »