Author Topic: Rich chocolate switches?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline HeadlessHorseman

• Kiwis have it tougher than you
    • My yt channel
Rich chocolate switches?
« on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 02:50:04 »
I'm looking for switches for a new build and need your help, I have something in mind but not really a sound rather what the sound would taste like.
I'm looking for switches that sound like a really rich chocolate brownie would taste like, not like a sharp taste but a soft creamy but still deep taste.
I would imagine they would be tactile but I'm open to other types.
price doesn't matter too much and shipping is pretty fluid too.
anyone here that can help my search?

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: Rich chocolate switches?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 03:56:08 »
um... I don't think I have ever heard someone describe a specific sound profile like that, but it's fine.

It really is hard to find switches that pertain to a specific sound signature since the switch is only one of many factors that determine a keyboards sound, sound is not something that you should preplan for, apart from a general guideline. This is the same reason why you shouldn't really listen to sound tests for info on how a keyboard sounds since a lot of the time the audio equipment makes the tests inaccurate and there are more factors that you can't replicate to recreate a sound test.

Another thing is that we all have different preferences of what constitutes that description and what is our desired sound in a board. For example you might really like foam in a keyboard but I really don't like it personally, it's all preference at the end of the day. But I'll try and help you anyway.

if you are looking for a not sharp signature sound than avoid stuff like jwks, gateron milky tops etc, in terms of plates the metal plates tend to be a lot higher pitch so go for like a pc plate or something. 

I personally really like mx blacks for sound, and they are great switches once you mod them (break them in, spring swap them with a consistent spring, lube etc), using a thicker lube like 205g0 helps reduce the pitch as well resulting in a less sharp switch. Pair it with a dense aluminium case with a nice gasket/o ring mount I guess as well, but you have already got a board so it probably didn't help you too much.

Hope this helps anyway.

Offline HeadlessHorseman

• Kiwis have it tougher than you
    • My yt channel
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 04:45:54 »
um... I don't think I have ever heard someone describe a specific sound profile like that, but it's fine.

It really is hard to find switches that pertain to a specific sound signature since the switch is only one of many factors that determine a keyboards sound, sound is not something that you should preplan for, apart from a general guideline. This is the same reason why you shouldn't really listen to sound tests for info on how a keyboard sounds since a lot of the time the audio equipment makes the tests inaccurate and there are more factors that you can't replicate to recreate a sound test.

Another thing is that we all have different preferences of what constitutes that description and what is our desired sound in a board. For example you might really like foam in a keyboard but I really don't like it personally, it's all preference at the end of the day. But I'll try and help you anyway.

if you are looking for a not sharp signature sound than avoid stuff like jwks, gateron milky tops etc, in terms of plates the metal plates tend to be a lot higher pitch so go for like a pc plate or something. 

I personally really like mx blacks for sound, and they are great switches once you mod them (break them in, spring swap them with a consistent spring, lube etc), using a thicker lube like 205g0 helps reduce the pitch as well resulting in a less sharp switch. Pair it with a dense aluminium case with a nice gasket/o ring mount I guess as well, but you have already got a board so it probably didn't help you too much.

Hope this helps anyway.

This helps significantly with what I’m looking for, thanks a million.
Also I’m fairly new, that’s why the weird description.

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 05:09:41 »
This helps significantly with what I’m looking for, thanks a million.
Also I’m fairly new, that’s why the weird description.

Yeah that's fair enough, we all start as newbies at things after all :)

Offline Tribal

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 07:02:17 »
Maybe something like lubed ergo clears so you don’t bottom out but still get some friction.  That’s the closest to “creamy” I can think of for a mechanical keyboard. 

Online Rhienfo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 21:00:10 »
Maybe something like lubed ergo clears so you don’t bottom out but still get some friction.  That’s the closest to “creamy” I can think of for a mechanical keyboard.

ergo clears are good and I kinda see that (I think all cherry linears and tactiles sound good anyway but still)

just make sure you know about the stem issue that clears have, there are ways to fix it with stem trimmers but it is important to know

« Last Edit: Sat, 16 September 2023, 21:02:51 by Rhienfo »

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 07:25:05 »
i know the keyboard hobby and food has a very strong connection with people saying that they want to eat certain keyboards and switches but this dude took it to a new level
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D