Author Topic: Kinesis Advantage layout  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Acmak

Kinesis Advantage layout
« on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 06:54:16 »
So i just got my kinesis and am thinking about ways to optimize the layout. I'd changed it to something i think is pretty good and would like to hear your thoughts on it. I use dvorak and have switched the backspace and caps lock for efficiency. But the kinesis has a backspace on the thumb cluster. So this is what i came up with:
 198516-0 
As you can see the backspace is where caps used to be. I did that because i think it's a much better use of the thumb cluster, rather than to waste it on backspace. There's only one benefit to using the thumb as backspace and that's so you don't have to travel back to the letters before you can type again. But i already had it to the left of the  pinkyfinger. So that benefit would only be there when the next keypress is an ''a''. Not really that great. But the thumb has such potential, so it needs to be something i use a lot.
Spacebar is the most commonly used key, about once every word. And you use that with the thumb, so it's used to having a lot to do. I realized that ''e'' is the most common letter in both English and Dutch; my native language. So i made it into ''e''. But now there is an empty space where ''e'' used to be. So i looked at the letter frequency again and put the key that's most used and not on the home row there. Happened to be ''r''. But i simply didn't like the idea of it being ''r'' so i put ''n'' there. Now i just put ''r'' one key lower. And this was the perfect opportunity to move that horrible ''l'' to a more suitable position.
And that's all i'm sure about. I never really use caps lock so it's just there so it's not empty. I read about a lot op people who say to switch ''u'' and ''i'' but i don't know about that.
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

PS This took me over 20 minutes to type. Yay for new keyboards and weird layouts!
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 June 2018, 06:58:46 by Acmak »

Offline T14

Re: Kinesis Advantage layout
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 09:48:16 »
I tried walking a similar path but just could not unlearn qwerty.
I did a bilingual character frequency-optimized layout... but I gave up after a month of typing like a paralyzed sloth.

I have found the courage to try again in my next project. But my only real changes to alphanumerics is to move E to the left thumb, and the punctuation to the center between v and b.

It is much easier to get used to moving navigation, tab and other utility keys not used directly in typing. But that is just my experience. Yours might be completely different.
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline adamking0126

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 17:27:56 »
I must make more mistakes than you.  I use BS a ton.  Only change I made was remapping the lower tab button to escape (vim user) and change 'delete' to shift.  I never use caps lock, so I abandoned it.  I made a macro for shift-backspace to do 'delete' which works 'OK' but you can't hold the keys down for 'repeat delete' but I don't really mind.  I do 90% of text input thru vim so not a problem.

I have a mac and remapped the right cmd key to hyper, but that's in Karabiner, not in the keyboard.

I think the kinesis advantage is an amazing piece of kit.  If I could justify the expense, I would buy one for home, as well as for work.  I keep experimenting with little travel ergo boards (atreus, I'm in the GB for the ergotravel).  I'll probably end up spending as much as if I'd bought the kinesis, and then I'll probably give up and buy the kinesis, lol.

Offline vvp

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 00:14:14 »
When I used Kinesis I swapped keys like this:
Esc <-> CapsLock
LeftShift <-> Delete
RightShift <-> Enter

It is quite good to have all modifiers on thumbs.