Author Topic: GH sale thread?  (Read 33386 times)

Offline Yeoh

Re: GH sale thread?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:15:58 »
Thankfully there are already a few parties working on new forums (Zeal being one of them, iirc).

Hopefully they are organized quickly, and the community doesnt have too messy of a migration.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:20:54 »
see you on the next forum.

I wonder what zeal could mean with that plus posting a single sided screencap of PM's ...

I never got a reply back. In fact, after iMav read the PM, he moved the OG thread to recycle bin, locked it, then moved it back. I don't see how that's a single sided ss.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:21:57 »
My problem is the following, what about all personal data from PM’s, paypal, addresses, phone, sepa etc....
China won’t give a **** about GDPR, how can we erase all that info ?
I don’t give a flying something about the future I have lost my way a long time ago, but I do care about the past and all my activity here.

This sounds absolutely terrible :\

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:22:22 »
Wait isnt VericalScope a datamining company? So iMav just sold all of the personal information on this site to a data mining company? Wow he sold himself out and everyone on this forum.
exactly my point .... this forum is gold mine, paypal, personal data, you name it !!!
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Petch

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:23:14 »
My problem is the following, what about all personal data from PM’s, paypal, addresses, phone, sepa etc....
I don’t give a flying something about the future I have lost my way a long time ago, but I do care about the past and all my activity here.
This is my biggest concern. I wonder if there are grounds to chase the seller of the site for irresponsibly selling our data?

Offline Yeoh

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:25:32 »
Wow, I just read the PM's...

The deal was complete (twice)...

Scummy af.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:26:50 »
This is my biggest concern. I wonder if there are grounds to chase the seller of the site for irresponsibly selling our data?
In EU we could do that, but in US, I don’t know.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:28:34 »
So who do I have to send a PM so that all data of my account will get deleted including all posts and all PMs on my side and also on side of the recipient?

Offline wodan

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:29:02 »
ALL HAIL WEBWIT!

I have accepted webwit as my dictator and get along much better with him since I stopped thinking I have a saying in DT/Club matters.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:30:25 »
So who do I have to send a PM so that all data of my account will get deleted including all posts and all PMs on my side and also on side of the recipient?
Hey that's valuable data. Wouldn't want to impact the sales price of the site since it is a bidding war now and not the original BIN deal.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:31:05 »

I am sure there are backups and whoever gets the site will get those backups as well and could just restore them or sort through them...unless someone can nuke the site before its truly turned over and nuke the backups.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:31:50 »
I want to have this option too. I have signed up on this forum accepting the TOS, but with a new owner I’m not OK with this, and according to EU laws all personal info must be deleted... but we are not in EU ...

Offline hansichen

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:32:16 »
Hey that's valuable data. Wouldn't want to impact the sales price of the site since it is a bidding war now and not the original BIN deal.

^^
There are probably hundreds of paypal mails and also addresses for shipping and shipping quotes. Those were not meant for advertisment companies.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:34:17 »

^^
There are probably hundreds of paypal mails and also addresses for shipping and shipping quotes. Those were not meant for advertisment companies.
And bank accounts and phone numbers, emails, skype ID’s, slack, you name it ... it’s pure GOLD

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:37:15 »

I am sure there are backups and whoever gets the site will get those backups as well and could just restore them or sort through them...unless someone can nuke the site before its truly turned over and nuke the backups.

Calling all mods: Please. If you can.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:38:22 »
This is a meme not an actual conversation.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:45:54 »
Hard to turn down something like that, I don't think that I could.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline Petch

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:48:13 »
I want to have this option too. I have signed up on this forum accepting the TOS, but with a new owner I’m not OK with this, and according to EU laws all personal info must be deleted... but we are not in EU ...
If a company is offering goods or services to the people in the EU (I'd argue that applies here?) then they have to comply.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:51:08 by Petch »

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:50:23 »
If the site is operating in the EU (if you're in the EU and can access it, I'd argue that counts) then they have to comply.

Is there a compliance task force that will break down the door of the site owner(s)/operator(s) and/or site datacenter to force it to comply? If not then you're SOL, what are they going to do, issue a fine for the site to the owner/operator and say "Pay this many euro's"?

Offline Petch

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:50:36 »

Is there a compliance task force that will break down the door of the site owner(s)/operator(s) and/or site datacenter to force it to comply? If not then you're SOL, what are they going to do, issue a fine for the site to the owner/operator and say "Pay this many euro's"?

I'm not an expert but there's probably a reason I got a lot of emails from US based companies a couple of months ago
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:56:01 by Petch »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:51:39 »
If a company is offering goods or services to the people in the EU (I'd argue that counts) then they have to comply.
I will try that regardless. I am an EU citizen, we have GDPR !

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:53:32 »
So will the next forum have beanie bag chairs and lemonade or nah

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:00:51 »

No but it will have blackjack and hookers.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:04:42 »

I'm not an expert but there's probably a reason I got a lot of emails from US based companies a couple of months ago

Correct a lot of US based companies sent emails to update anyone on its mailing list or had/has an account with them that they've updated their privacy policies and such, however for small, hobby sites such as this, while its nice if they would/do comply I don't see compliance task force with tanks and guns ready to break down doors of site owners and such to make them comply, and even then all they could do is go to the site registrar (and if its privately registered) ask for the info of the site owner so they can issue a fine of some sort maybe? Not really sure, but I don't foresee hobby sites to comply with it, and some US based sites still have no complied with it.

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:06:59 »

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline superhot

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:11:44 »

No but it will have blackjack and hookers.

Show Image

why not both

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:14:11 »

Correct a lot of US based companies sent emails to update anyone on its mailing list or had/has an account with them that they've updated their privacy policies and such, however for small, hobby sites such as this, while its nice if they would/do comply I don't see compliance task force with tanks and guns ready to break down doors of site owners and such to make them comply, and even then all they could do is go to the site registrar (and if its privately registered) ask for the info of the site owner so they can issue a fine of some sort maybe? Not really sure, but I don't foresee hobby sites to comply with it, and some US based sites still have no complied with it.
Maybe if more EU members stick together and make a group complain it will count ... I will try anyway

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:31:21 »
The community will rally elsewhere. I hope iMav gets them duckets in quick before them big investors wise up.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:36:48 »
我欢迎新的中国领主

Offline Haaaaaandrew

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:42:57 »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:47:15 »
OOF

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:47:52 »
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:52:47 »
Enjoyed my time at GH, was just getting back to the hobby too :(

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:53:07 »
Please give more money to iMav to unlock this post

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:54:34 »
The community will rally elsewhere. I hope iMav gets them duckets in quick before them big investors wise up.
I don’t care if the community will rally elsewhere, I’m sure things will go on without GH. People allready moved to reddid, discord or whatever.
For me what is important is personal data, either is deletd or I get a compensation. I will not let it go away like Ivanivanovici GB’s, GhostOfHarry GB’s and other scams that were just accepted.

Offline Lormania

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 11:55:13 »
Oh no! I just got on here basically! Hope we can all find a new home together.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:08:05 »
Just go to reddit or join one of the discord things, those are all the rage and maybe the reason we are where we are, Ripster won. There is also Deskthority.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:21:54 »
Just go to reddit or join one of the discord things, those are all the rage and maybe the reason we are where we are, Ripster won. There is also Deskthority.

Those are absolutely worse options, the best option is to simply start a new forum if need be. It's easy enough to do. DT is cliquey and very vintage-focused, I don't know how much they'd appreciate a permanent influx of GH members. Reddit is reddit, and in no way is a discord or slack a legitimate substitute for a proper forum.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:22:56 »
This community used to mean so much to me a few years ago. Haven't been too involved recently but I am still really appreciative of all the great people I met through this website. Even if this is the end of geekhack as we know it, the community will live on.

There are plenty of really smart people here and I am confident you guys will come up with a great idea for what comes next.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:28:22 »
Well, this is a steaming pile of ****. Now what?
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:29:14 »
Oh no. Will my vintage Geekhack caps rise or fall in value.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:29:54 »

Those are absolutely worse options, the best option is to simply start a new forum if need be. It's easy enough to do. DT is cliquey and very vintage-focused, I don't know how much they'd appreciate a permanent influx of GH members. Reddit is reddit, and in no way is a discord or slack a legitimate substitute for a proper forum.
Dude don’t say that... you might end up being called a saltyedgelordfk. Reddit is good, discord is even better.

Joke aside, I would love to see again a community like it was 4-5 years ago.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:31:32 »

you might end up being called a saltyedgelordfk.

Because you are one.

Anyways, I'd say at this point our best course of action is to see what happens next re: the purchase of geekhack, then plan accordingly.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:31:44 »

Dude don’t say that... you might end up being called a saltyedgelordfk. Reddit is good, discord is even better.

Joke aside, I would love to see again a community like it was 4-5 years ago.

Dude **** was tight back then. I've made some lasting friendships with people I met randomly around here in my first year or so here and it sucks that new members might never get to experience that

you might end up being called a saltyedgelordfk.

Because you are one.

no u

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:32:12 »
so do we have any idea who the new ownership is? is the deal even complete? i'd like to hear the new owners introduce themselves and see if anything can be salvaged from this absolute mess before we pack up and move on. there's really still too many photos, too much precious knowledge all over this forum, that starting over from scratch is the absolute last measure i think we should take

Offline swangful

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:35:45 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:41:13 »
so do we have any idea who the new ownership is? is the deal even complete? i'd like to hear the new owners introduce themselves and see if anything can be salvaged from this absolute mess before we pack up and move on. there's really still too many photos, too much precious knowledge all over this forum, that starting over from scratch is the absolute last measure i think we should take

Don't worry I'm printing out every page to preserve the data physically. Running low on ink on page 45 of Post your clacks but a quick Staples run and I'll be back to it

Offline joey

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:44:27 »
Don't worry I'm printing out every page to preserve the data physically. Running low on ink on page 45 of Post your clacks but a quick Staples run and I'll be back to it
At least you know the important thread to start with.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 12:48:17 »
At least you know the important thread to start with.

In 2100 when historians have access to detailed records of historical clack market analytics, then my work will be praised.

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 13:16:49 »

oh boy