Author Topic: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?  (Read 117912 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Re: Do you use Win10 and if so, why?
« Reply #300 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 10:53:46 »
I don't user Windows at all but the wife has got three computer in her SOHO: two Windows machine and an OS X one.  The two Windows machines are on Windows 8.1 and if I recall correctly I installed "Never 10" on both of these as soon as she got them, so that the machines wouldn't suddenly upgrade to 10 overnight in case she mis-clicks one of these infamous "Aren't you not sure you don't want to not upgrade now or later?" with then three possible choices like "maybe / I cannot say I don't want not to / remind me tomorrow" (well, I'm being facetious obviously but you know what I'm talking about: users upgrading by mistake to a version they didn't plan to upgrade to).

Speaking of which, in the first page of this thread a user posted "I still have a sour taste in my mouth over how aggressive Microsoft was in encouraging (tricking) people into upgrading.".  That's what I'm talking about.

"Never 10" seems to be doing it's job fine since, well, years now as both machines are still on 8.1 and she's not constantly nagged by popups trying to trick her into upgrading to 10.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #301 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:07:30 »
This has now become a monthly routine - Win10 takes a security update after I tell it to not to take any updates and even rewrite system files to disable it, and wouldn't ya know, the update breaks my comp every damn time.

I can't disable them, can't stop them, and 100% of the time they break something important.

I guess this is just life with Windows 10

Hey on the upside I'm getting really good at identifying and troubleshooting Win10
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:13:13 by noisyturtle »

Offline typo

« Reply #302 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:44:39 »
I use it because I am on fast track and I get paid to evaluate the bugs :)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #303 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:01:19 »
I've gotta say that I use Windows because I have it set up exactly the way I like it. You normally hear this about Linux guys, but I have it for Windows. Cool animated wallpapers that use the GPU, Lightroom and a **** ton of presets for photos, easy stuff. Games are less important even though I did spend ****ing $500 on this video card to play games, I still barely ever play em, but they're also a priority. So yeah, every few months I go and try to install a new Linux distro and just go back to Windows because it works how I want it to. I only ever do Linux if it's on an older computer where Windows has too much overhead, and the way I have it set up is too much of a hassle.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 08:57:31 »
This has now become a monthly routine - Win10 takes a security update after I tell it to not to take any updates and even rewrite system files to disable it, and wouldn't ya know, the update breaks my comp every damn time.

I can't disable them, can't stop them, and 100% of the time they break something important.

I guess this is just life with Windows 10

Hey on the upside I'm getting really good at identifying and troubleshooting Win10

I don't know how you keep running into weird problems like that. A lot of the computers in our district are already all running Windows 10. I have been using it on all of my somewhat modern computers since 10 first went into beta testing. I have had continuously updated 10 installs running without a fresh reinstall for 2-3 years straight with all updates turned on without ever encountering a problem like this.

I have had a few profile problems, and a few driver problems when 10 was still going through growing pains, and that's it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 15:14:28 »
I think it was Microsoft's way of telling me they no longer support my hardware. After ripping it out and using the base mobo sound I've had no issues with Windows getting confused. They did the same thing forcing me to switch over from 7, just gradually break each thing 'till I've had enough and comply.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #306 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 16:15:38 »
I think it was Microsoft's way of telling me they no longer support my hardware. After ripping it out and using the base mobo sound I've had no issues with Windows getting confused. They did the same thing forcing me to switch over from 7, just gradually break each thing 'till I've had enough and comply.

Which hardware? M$' default drivers suck anyway. I don't use them. I have mentioned it in this thread, but I have had 10 running with 100% functionality on tons of random hardware, including one of the first Intel-based Macbook Pros, which is not supported at all by Apple. I don't think they even supported past Windows 7 on that laptop.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #307 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 13:19:37 »
I know that this has probably been answered, but I recently built and created a new desktop computer with a fresh retail Windows 10 (and the v1909 update).

How to I remove Cortana completely and "forever" (I already did the regedit AllowCortana=0) and force Windows searches to search *ONLY* my local physical computer files?

I have gone into all the settings that I can find and checked "search local machine only" or similar choices but whenever I put something in the search bar up pops the heinous Bing and I get an avalanche of internet searches. (I have also removed Bing from internet searches but it always seems to come back.)

Thanks

PS - is it possible to disengage this physical device from whatever Microsoft "account" it is attached to?
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #308 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 18:43:41 »
Yea... or jus install Win7 and be happy4ever.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #309 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 19:20:31 »
I like how Win10 doesn't let me launch MS games without disabling a bunch of Win10 features. Good job, really nailin' it over at MS!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #310 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:17:44 »
How to I remove Cortana completely and "forever" (I already did the regedit AllowCortana=0) and force Windows searches to search *ONLY* my local physical computer files?

PS - is it possible to disengage this physical device from whatever Microsoft "account" it is attached to?

O&OShutup10 will let you kill Cortana as well as a ton of other things.

[url-https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027068/windows-10-switch-your-device-to-a-local-account]MS how-to to switch to offline account[/url]

By the way
When setting up a new system disconnect from the net before you get to account creation otherwise MS is now making it extremely difficult or even impossible to bypass it. Just easier to go offline and let it default to that. Each year has heralded another step to bypass it and it's reached a point of being silly.

Side note, did a bunch of work on Win10 this week.
I swear this OS hasn't gotten any better since the day it was released.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #311 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 07:50:29 »

When setting up a new system disconnect from the net before you get to account creation otherwise MS is now making it extremely difficult or even impossible to bypass it.

Thank you very much. Although it would be a PITA, this rig is only a week old and I haven't gotten locked in too deep. Could I wipe it and start over, or do you think that M$ has already tied me to it by recognizing the motherboard?
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #312 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 20:37:37 »

When setting up a new system disconnect from the net before you get to account creation otherwise MS is now making it extremely difficult or even impossible to bypass it.

Thank you very much. Although it would be a PITA, this rig is only a week old and I haven't gotten locked in too deep. Could I wipe it and start over, or do you think that M$ has already tied me to it by recognizing the motherboard?
You have several options, using the MS guide is by far the fastest and safest.

Another option is just create another admin account, move your data over then remove the old one. This often has hidden minor issues, missing data, shortcuts, etc.. so leave the old account for a while until things are settled and you're happy with it.

Other options
You can just do a refresh which will not wipe out the key.
MS has the key tied to an email account so there's a way to do that without using an online account, but don't ask em how.
Use a tool to recover your key then fresh install,  I recommend doing this anyhow if you are on a retail (non-oem) Windows as you can move your key when you replace the system hard drive. Just search Google for product key recovery.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #313 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:05:32 »
I bought a fresh new retail Windows 10 disc since all my other computers are running on upgraded 7/8 keys I figured I should go legit this time.

Maybe I will start over, seems like it might be safer in the long run.

Tangentially off-topic, when Linux Mint 20 is released I want to install it in the same box on a dedicated hard drive, selecting the boot drive in BIOS rather than having them fight it out in MBR and Grub. Mint seems very evasive regarding a release date, do you have any insider information on that?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 01:08:29 »
Your 7/8 keys are legit and work with 10 legally.

Mint is a great starter, though after being off it a while and helping others get onto it I have a bit of change of heart on it.
It's works great and I aplaud their efforts to tell Ubuntu to go F themselves over their new package manager (SNAP), what I don't like and what ultimately turned me and every Mint user I know to switch was their absolutely horrendous update system. I don't mean daily and weekly I mean the big upgrades from 17 to 18 and 18 to 19 etc...  They can't seem to make that smooth to save their lives. It is always a nihgtmare and very often results in needing a ton of repairs or just dumping the system. And because of how their repos work if you don't upgrade you get left behind since everything in the repo is version based and tested so if you have Mint 18 you're currently stuck on VLC 2.0, you can hack your way around and get 3.0 but you shouldn't have to. Get too far behind and there is really no way forward at all, though this is true with Ubuntu and many others.

Ubuntu handles version upgrades better, but you still get trapped into the issue of only allowing versions of programs they allow. Ubuntu is also pushing everything over to SNAP. This will unfortunately effect quite a few downstream distros as well.

If you want to game on it, which has gotten surprisingly good and may allow you to ditch Windows*, I'd recommend Pop! (Ubuntu based) or something Arch based (Manjaro is popular, I prefer Arco). Pop! puts effort into making gaming on Linux easy and Arch distros are right there with it taking just a tad more effort. The two big differences here is Pop! will be a tad more stable but Arch based never, ever needs a major version update. In my experience, the claims of Arch being less stable is kind of silly, yes, Ubuntu and Pop are more stable, but that difference is so miniscule and all are so stable that you're arguing over a percentage point or less probably.

*For games I have Steam for Linux, I run Photoshop CS6 (or 7) in PlayonLinux (I set this up a few years ago), and I recently put a Win7 VM to run Fusion 360 temporarily. I can get everything onto Wine or a VM  but this system works well for me as Photoshop is a click away but safe from viruses that WINE can bring and Fusion is in a VM for simplicity, and when I use it I'm usually using it for a while, not just cropping a picture. At some point I plan on putting both into containers and be done with it I just need to get it setup. As it is I can backup PlayOnLinux and the VM quickly and move them if needed.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline funkmon

« Reply #315 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 01:55:42 »
What do you think about KDE Neon?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 05:37:23 »
What do you think about KDE Neon?
Not bad, nothing special but also not bad.
The one fear is KDE could decide to just stop supporting it, it's not their priority. I also have a hard time seeing how it's any better than Kubuntu.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 13:01:33 »
Viruses in wine?!  That's a new one, will have to do some research.

Didn't know the Windows 7 keys I inherited when mum's work upgraded their computers were legit for 10 either.  If something really weird comes up I could Win10 briefly though I have no intention of doing so at this time.  Arch hasn't destroyed itself yet and it must have been a couple of years - that's probably a record for me

You can add OpenSUSE to the 'nightmare version upgrade' list, took me an hour to convince it I wanted mum's keyboard to be ISO-UK last time, amongst other problems.  I do like the transparent bootscreen that shows BIOS behind it though (but I think it's a glitch as BIOS should be finished)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 15:17:36 »

You can add OpenSUSE to the 'nightmare version upgrade' list,

I really wanted to give OpenSUSE a go a few years ago, but the online "help" community was unbelievably rude and arrogant, they really put forth effort to run me away.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 12 June 2020, 23:01:04 »
Viruses in wine?!  That's a new one, will have to do some research.

Didn't know the Windows 7 keys I inherited when mum's work upgraded their computers were legit for 10 either.  If something really weird comes up I could Win10 briefly though I have no intention of doing so at this time.  Arch hasn't destroyed itself yet and it must have been a couple of years - that's probably a record for me
Show Image

You can add OpenSUSE to the 'nightmare version upgrade' list, took me an hour to convince it I wanted mum's keyboard to be ISO-UK last time, amongst other problems.  I do like the transparent bootscreen that shows BIOS behind it though (but I think it's a glitch as BIOS should be finished)
Wine can definitely do it depending on what you add to it, however they are limited in what all they can do being as it's still Linux after all.

If you want to play with Win10, install while offline and never register it. MS doesn't seem to care. You get a popup once in a while and a black desktop but meh.

Pretty sure anything other than Arch (and distros based on it) and maybe Slack have update issues and it always comes down to versioning. Debian got around this for a few years by simply never updating, can't have troubles updating if you never update, though this also shows they don't need versioning as much as they make it seem. I understand why they do it, I just don't agree with it, at least at the desktop level as things move too fast.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #320 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 17:08:11 »
Mint seems very evasive regarding a release date, do you have any insider information on that?

Mint doesn't usually publicize release dates in advance. The beta for Mint 20 is out now, and the current target is for it to release this month -- I've just set 'July 1' in my head as the 'anticipated' release date, and have put it out of my head other than that.

... what I don't like and what ultimately turned me and every Mint user I know to switch was their absolutely horrendous update system. I don't mean daily and weekly I mean the big upgrades from 17 to 18 and 18 to 19 etc...  They can't seem to make that smooth to save their lives. It is always a nihgtmare and very often results in needing a ton of repairs or just dumping the system. And because of how their repos work if you don't upgrade you get left behind since everything in the repo is version based and tested so if you have Mint 18 you're currently stuck on VLC 2.0, you can hack your way around and get 3.0 but you shouldn't have to. Get too far behind and there is really no way forward at all, though this is true with Ubuntu and many others.

I get around this by not automatically doing each major upgrade, and just sticking with the installed version until I reach a point where I can't do what I need without a newer version of some package. I'll be moving my Mint 18 (not 18.3, 18!) box to Mint 20 when it releases, as 18.x is only supported until 2021 anyway, and I need a newer version of OpenVPN now than what I can access in the Mint 18 repos. Will probably pair the upgrade with a new boot drive (are 120GB SSDs even sold anymore?), and will just move files over that I need -- I know there's a lot of crap from the past 4 years that I don't need anymore, so I don't see a pressing need to try and make the upgrade system work.

I would definitely be more upset with the version upgrade system if I was trying to stay on top of the latest release and do an in-place upgrade.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #321 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 22:19:45 »
I get around this by not automatically doing each major upgrade, and just sticking with the installed version until I reach a point where I can't do what I need without a newer version of some package. I'll be moving my Mint 18 (not 18.3, 18!) box to Mint 20 when it releases, as 18.x is only supported until 2021 anyway, and I need a newer version of OpenVPN now than what I can access in the Mint 18 repos. Will probably pair the upgrade with a new boot drive (are 120GB SSDs even sold anymore?), and will just move files over that I need -- I know there's a lot of crap from the past 4 years that I don't need anymore, so I don't see a pressing need to try and make the upgrade system work.

I would definitely be more upset with the version upgrade system if I was trying to stay on top of the latest release and do an in-place upgrade.
Major upgrades by Mint never happen automatically and it's the in place upgrade that is the problem. I've had one work and three completely bork, that's not very good odds and it's never as simple as "sudo apt-get upgrade", etc.. or if on Arco  it's simply "update".

My problem is even skipping one means being left quite a bit behind, not on the OS itself necessarily but everything else. For example if you're on Mint 18 you're still stuck on VLC 2.2.2 whereas most of us are on 3.0.10, which is 10 updates behind, including a major version. You can fix this, but you shouldn't need to. WINE is even worse, WINE is bad on Ubuntu to begin with, but current for Mint 18 is 1.6, current is 5.0.1 Granted versions have come fast and furious since Steam took off but Mint and Ubuntu is usually couple years behind even at release. You may not notice VLC being behind that far but WINE 1.6 compared to current is like running Windows 2000 compared to Win10, it's that far behind.

I don't dislike Mint, I just wish they could fix a few of those issues.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 18:21:19 »
the Start menu is just COMPLETELY useless. It only searches for online results instead of searching my actual computer for what I'm looking for. Cortana is turned off, but it never ever, and I mean NEVER pulls up what I am looking for. Completely incapeable of finding any extension or file on my computer. I just don't understand the purpose of searching in Start now. The entire point was to quickly pull up some buried file, but they disable that and only allow searching online or settings? It's absolutely bizarre. I literally cannot pull up simple command files because the Start doesn't search for them and the search bar cannot find them. Infuriating.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 19:54:20 »
I built a new computer and started from ground zero about 3 weeks ago. That same thing had been irritating me under my skin for a long time.

After about a week or 2, I complained and Leslieann suggested a clean new installed while not connected to the internet. I did that and regedit-ed out Cortana, OneDrive, Bing, and everything else I could think of before I plugged in the ethernet cable for the first time.

It still pulls up Bing and searches the internet.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 20:39:27 »
the Start menu is just COMPLETELY useless.
It's been useless since Win8.

MS declared the start menu dead years ago (seriously), and has purposely been trying to kill it every since.
You are expected to pin everything used often to the task bar and desktop, then lesser used apps to the start menu. You can thank phones and tablets for this wonderful idea.

After about a week or 2, I complained and Leslieann suggested a clean new installed while not connected to the internet. I did that and regedit-ed out Cortana, OneDrive, Bing, and everything else I could think of before I plugged in the ethernet cable for the first time.

It still pulls up Bing and searches the internet.
Installing offline only fixes the online account issue, nothing else.

See what I wrote above about the start menu.
Pretty sure O&O lets you disable online search and Cortana, it helps but start menus is still pretty useless (by design).

I disable Cortana during install then again with O&O Shutup10, I also use that to disable updates. If you use any of these tweaks make sure the tool is up to date, or your registry hacks match the Windows version you are using AND disable ALL updates. Failure to do both can cause problem, even a failure to boot.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline funkmon

« Reply #325 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 23:32:44 »
Guys, it's easier than you're making it. There's a piece of software called Winaereo Tweaker and it can fix this for you.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 03:04:13 »
Guys, it's easier than you're making it. There's a piece of software called Winaereo Tweaker and it can fix this for you.

MS doesn't like you messing with their search system, or anything else in the OS they don't approve of. 

Either do it right or don't do it at all, if you aren't also stopping updates, you're asking for trouble.

Edit:
looking at it more it seems all this tweak is doing is shoving all the control panel stuff into a better layout so you find things. Next update MS may turn all this stuff right back on, which they have been known to do.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 June 2020, 03:08:02 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline yuanyasmine

« Reply #327 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 03:24:31 »
I love my Win10 installation, no problems and its faster and more secure.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #328 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 11:10:48 »
I love my Win10 installation, no problems and its faster and more secure.

In my experience, faster than any relatively modern operating system besides pretty well streamlined installations of Linux. Certainly faster than Windows 7 on every piece of hardware I have ran both on, even though it is many years newer. I think Windows 8 may tie, but Windows 8 is terrible, so I haven't really compared them other than 8 came on a system and I briefly used it, or it is one of those weird Bay Trail Atom systems where installing anything you actually prefer is a nightmare.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 23:58:38 »
Me: Working on something with updates turned off and powercycle permissions  denied

Win10: Did you say shutdown all apps and reset?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #330 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 05:34:56 »
In my experience, faster than any relatively modern operating system besides pretty well streamlined installations of Linux. Certainly faster than Windows 7 on every piece of hardware I have ran both on, even though it is many years newer. I think Windows 8 may tie, but Windows 8 is terrible, so I haven't really compared them other than 8 came on a system and I briefly used it, or it is one of those weird Bay Trail Atom systems where installing anything you actually prefer is a nightmare.
Most claim the opposite, with Win10 getting slower lately.

Might be time for some testing, though Win7 is becoming more and more of a hassle to install.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #331 on: Wed, 01 July 2020, 11:29:27 »
Most claim the opposite, with Win10 getting slower lately.

Might be time for some testing, though Win7 is becoming more and more of a hassle to install.

in lieu of minimal Linux, Windows 10 is my go-to for older systems. I disable all of the useless garbage that's quick and easy to do so, like Cortana, anyway. Cortana is what pointlessly eats most of the resources.

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #332 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 08:25:16 »
With some light mods to disable things like Xbox integration and Cortana, as well as the usual telemetry, yes.

It's a perfectly functional OS and despite it's annoyances, many can be fixed with scripts / using Win10Pro. I don't see any other Windows being worth using in the modern day.

That said, I hate windows. As soon as Linux gaming is a little more viable for me, I will be switching over full time.
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #333 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 21:43:34 »
With some light mods to disable things like Xbox integration and Cortana, as well as the usual telemetry, yes.

It's a perfectly functional OS and despite it's annoyances, many can be fixed with scripts / using Win10Pro. I don't see any other Windows being worth using in the modern day.

That said, I hate windows. As soon as Linux gaming is a little more viable for me, I will be switching over full time.
Anti-cheat is pretty much the only remaining issue and it will probably never be fully fixed, some of them are too entwined with Windows and likely always will be.

If you wait for it to cover EVERYTHING, it never will, it simply can't.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #334 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:48:23 »

Anti-cheat is pretty much the only remaining issue and it will probably never be fully fixed, some of them are too entwined with Windows and likely always will be.

If you wait for it to cover EVERYTHING, it never will, it simply can't.

Oh, I know Linux will probably never have full compat. But it seems like every time I'm ready to make the switch and just have Windows on a backup drive, I check the compatibility lists and there's SOME game I'm currently playing a ton of that won't run on Linux yet.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #335 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 21:38:03 »
Oh, I know Linux will probably never have full compat. But it seems like every time I'm ready to make the switch and just have Windows on a backup drive, I check the compatibility lists and there's SOME game I'm currently playing a ton of that won't run on Linux yet.
It will probably always be that way unless you get lucky and a game is supported right away but even if that happens, the next probably won't.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 13:59:39 »
Linux has come a very long way with game compatibility, especially over the past few years.  I made a linux test box out of an old Intel NUC I was given so I can test distros out so I can be ready for when i have to deploy for certain clients here at work.  I primarily use w10 due to Adobe and games, but I still tinker within Linux (Debian based) when I want to break something for fun and fix it.  Eventually I plan on launching a copy of Ubuntu onto my son's machine (he's only 5) so he can start learning it much like when I started learning DOS, w3.1, and OS 8 & 9 when I was close to his age. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline yui

« Reply #337 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 04:45:06 »
proton is actually becoming pretty good, there is still quite a few old games that it does not work with but for recent games i had mostly good surprises with it and well it is free to try the only issue that is still somewhat a problem with linux gaming is the sub par nVidia support, but if you are on AMD (other than GCN1.0) you should be pretty much set, my hate for 10 also helps with seeing linux as a better alternative maybe.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #338 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 09:42:57 »
the only issue that is still somewhat a problem with linux gaming is the sub par nVidia support
Only if you use the open source driver. Use the proper NVidia proprietary driver and it's basically the same quality and version as the windows one.

Offline yui

« Reply #339 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 09:49:40 »
the only issue that is still somewhat a problem with linux gaming is the sub par nVidia support
Only if you use the open source driver. Use the proper NVidia proprietary driver and it's basically the same quality and version as the windows one.
true but it is a pain to install on most distros, AMDGPU being backed into the kernel makes it much easier, to be fair you also need to install drivers on windows, but the process is usually much more automated, although my last experience with nVidia on linux was 6 years ago so it may have evolved quite a bit.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #340 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:04:40 »
true but it is a pain to install on most distros, AMDGPU being backed into the kernel makes it much easier, to be fair you also need to install drivers on windows, but the process is usually much more automated, although my last experience with nVidia on linux was 6 years ago so it may have evolved quite a bit.
The Windows nVidia driver experience isn't bad. I would say it's about the same level of complexity as the AMD Windows driver. Only personal quirk is that I don't install the HD audio driver or the 3d vision stuff since I do not use them, but it's just two checkboxes so not at all a pain.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #341 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 12:01:26 »
true but it is a pain to install on most distros, AMDGPU being backed into the kernel makes it much easier
Again, on Ubuntu it's just a mouse click on "Do you want to use NVidia proprietary drivers ?". Actually easier than the Windows counterpart where you do have to navigate to nvidia.com, get to the driver download section, download the said driver, then execute the install, then reboot.
AMD support is so-so for gaming on Linux as the drivers arent as good.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 17:21:40 »
I use windows because for the games compatability

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #343 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:27:15 »
So I was asking this exact question to myself. What triggered it was how I was getting into programming a few months ago and was like "should I get a mac?". So I did, and it was cool but man I went down a rabbithole of spec comparisons and benchmarks. tldr, macs are smooth and compact, but not for the power user. Jumped back to my W10 machine and was in love all over again with windows.

HOWEVER, windows 10 is definitely far from good, with its bloatware, elevation settings, garbage updates, some layout stuff, and a few other things.

Nothing will ever compare to Windows 7 in my books

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:11:00 »
tldr, macs are smooth and compact, but not for the power user. Jumped back to my W10 machine and was in love all over again with windows.

Nothing will ever compare to Windows 7 in my books
Macs are for power users, everything can be, however the use case matters.

It also depends on the amount of pain you are willing to endure to change.
Despite how it might seem, power users actually have a much harder time switching OS than a noob. While you have a greater tech understanding, you have to unlearn habits and workflow you rely on while a new user is just fumbling their way through.  If you are fumbling workflow and understanding doesn't matter.

I talked a bit about it here.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 July 2020, 21:15:21 by Leslieann »
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #345 on: Sat, 25 July 2020, 04:29:08 »
Despite how it might seem, power users actually have a much harder time switching OS than a noob. While you have a greater tech understanding, you have to unlearn habits and workflow you rely on while a new user is just fumbling their way through.  If you are fumbling workflow and understanding doesn't matter.

Thing that was a real pain point for me, working on a Hackintosh for years then going back to Windows; taskbar widgets - they’re so good on Mac. Having that unified little bar at the top of your screen at all times that you can put these well supported little widgets in, just lovely. Going from GeekTool to RainMeter is a little bit of a pain too, but manageable.

Thing that always gets me most though, as somebody who appreciates when apps are designed well aesthetically, is just how inconsistent and badly designed some Windows apps are. Metro/Store apps have made it a bit better, but not being able to make a consistent dark theme across your entire system, for example, uck.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline funkmon

« Reply #346 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 22:48:53 »
Man, I have not had that issue at all. Haha. I hate all that crap on Mac.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #347 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 02:55:18 »
I've never used any of that stuff, I never wanted to sacrifice the resources and desktop space.

Ironically, by the time I felt I had the resources I had so much to spare I didn't really need to monitor them.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #348 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 04:52:24 »
Ha, that's a fair point, I just liked eye candy.

To be honest, it's kind of still that now with RainMeter, it's not like I don't have a window in front of my desktop 90% of the time.
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 13:16:05 »
I've never used any of that stuff, I never wanted to sacrifice the resources and desktop space.

Ironically, by the time I felt I had the resources I had so much to spare I didn't really need to monitor them.

I still go through the startup and process lists and disable everything I think is wasting resources with no real payoff, even if there's really no major practical need due to excessively capable hardware. I even wish I had more time/motivation to still go through and strip all of the useless trash out of Windows entirely like I used to with XP.