Author Topic: Why won't logitech just remake the G9X?  (Read 58835 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Why won't logitech just remake the G9X?
« on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:22:38 »
Tried g502 and g303 for months as daily mouse, back to G9X. This thing is definitely gonna die soon. I stopped playing counter strike so I don't need the super accurate sensor anymore (though I can still feel the inaccuracy...) so I'd rather not hurt my hand. Sigh ~

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:25:04 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline ThoughtArtist

Re: Why won't logitech just remake the G9X?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:47:17 »
It looks cool but the off-center sensor bothers me, like if my car steering wheel weren't centered to my body. I'd try a remake if they fixed that awkward design flaw.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:50:28 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:48:51 »
yep the sensor sucks. please remake :\
I love Elzy

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:54:09 »
yep the sensor sucks. please remake :\

I'm not sure what philosophy dictates that companies should rarely, if ever, release revamped versions of old designs. You're definitely not the first I have read who wanted this released again.

I ended up buying several NIB G400s's recently because I like the shape since it fits my hand perfectly. I classic shape but, oh no, now the corporate design gods have dictated they can never use it again for eternity.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 03:59:56 by ThoughtArtist »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 06:04:10 »
I keep thinking, why don't they make evoluent gaming mouse.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 09:34:41 »
if you really like it that much, just make it a habit to look for used ones.
you can also get replacement feet and even replacement cables. and replacement switches!
what makes you think it's going to "die" soon, though?

here's two auctions with reasonable prices:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G9X-Gaming-Mouse-Call-of-Duty-MW3-Edition-/231957110124?hash=item3601b89d6c:g:qpAAAOSw7ehXRzaC
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Logitech-G9X-MW3-Weights-Both-Grips-Included-/182152274986?hash=item2a691f242a:g:cmEAAOSwOtBXS64c
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 May 2016, 09:36:33 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 15:54:30 »
Tried g502 and g303 for months as daily mouse, back to G9X. This thing is definitely gonna die soon. I stopped playing counter strike so I don't need the super accurate sensor anymore (though I can still feel the inaccuracy...) so I'd rather not hurt my hand. Sigh ~

Been trying to replace mine for ages as well and just can't find anything as good. So also hoping mine doesn't die, it's done some funny things a couple times...

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 22:06:45 »
I can't get used to the sensor anymore T_T
I love Elzy

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 07:45:45 »
G100S,  best mouse..

nawh it's not.. buhhhhh..... overall.. i think it's very similar to the g9x

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 12:15:30 »
How is your mouse going to die soon?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 12:21:57 »

sometimes you just know it..

you feel the soul slowly fleeing from the mice.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 12:39:35 »

:D

depending on your skill, you might be able to put a different PCB into the G9x. it would probably require very heavy modding, though, and possibly soldering.
afaik there has never been anything released that truly satisfied G9(x) users. your best bet is googling for a bit to see what others deemed a worthy successor. (but you won't find a G9-like shape with the 3360 sensor i'm afraid - from what i've read the Corsair M65 Pro didn't turn out so well.)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 17:00:53 »

sometimes you just know it..

And then, little pieces of gold plated metal fly around the room. :'(

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 17:03:59 »

:D

depending on your skill, you might be able to put a different PCB into the G9x. it would probably require very heavy modding, though, and possibly soldering.
afaik there has never been anything released that truly satisfied G9(x) users. your best bet is googling for a bit to see what others deemed a worthy successor. (but you won't find a G9-like shape with the 3360 sensor i'm afraid - from what i've read the Corsair M65 Pro didn't turn out so well.)

I've considered trying to put a new pcb into it.. but I'm lazy af
I love Elzy

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:52:56 »
I feel your pain. I have a brand new G9x that's just lying around because I can't get over the sensor, which I find frustrating, because I love the shape and how stable/grounded (for a lack of better terms) it feels. 

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:42:22 »
I feel your pain. I have a brand new G9x that's just lying around because I can't get over the sensor, which I find frustrating, because I love the shape and how stable/grounded (for a lack of better terms) it feels. 

Don't suppose you want to get rid of that? Might not be worth it with int shipping but let me know.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 13:19:40 »
Don't suppose you want to get rid of that? Might not be worth it with int shipping but let me know.
To be honest I am thinking about it but I haven't made my mind up. I have a love/hate relationship going on with her...

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 16:05:44 »
To be honest I am thinking about it but I haven't made my mind up. I have a love/hate relationship going on with her...

haha, I know the feeling :)

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 02:27:55 »
Luckily, I don't game very much nowadays, but I recently went back to using my G9x with the wider grip and I didn't realize how uncomfortable it was. Within the past few weeks, I just ended up buying 3 new G9Xs off eBay to get the precision grip (feels great now) and spare mouse in case mine ever craps out. Maybe you can mod it with a better sensor? I don't know, but it is a little more jittery compared to my G602 so I keep both plugged in and switch mindlessly lol. The G602 wheel takes a lot to activate compared to the G602 also.

If you haven't tried the G602, you may like it if you use the precision grip. I feel it's not as wide as the G9x with the wide grip though. It's more ergo if anything.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 13:14:57 »
No I use the g9x without any grip on it.
I love Elzy

Offline shadowku

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:23:33 »
What's wrong with your current G9X?

I just replaced the cable on my G9. It's going strong and I don't want to replace it because there's nothing good on the market.

On another note, there's someone in my city that I found on Kijiji who is selling a very slightly used G9 for $45 CAD. A bit compelling but it's really a 10 year old device =\
Not sure what to do.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Bucake

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 22:54:36 »
well, the fact that it's 10 years old goes both ways. its internals are outdated, yeah, but if yours ever breaks then you'll have to get lucky finding a(n affordable) replacement.
it's safe to assume that logitech will not make an updated G9x, so if you love the mouse as-is then you might want to get a backup, sooner or later.
$45 isn't cheap though, so you could consider letting it slide and just keep an eye out for other sales. most sites allow you to save searches so that you get e-mailed if new auctions have been put on.

personally, i just try to imagine if / how much i will regret not getting something.
i give bonus points for 1) nothing is missing 2) everything still works 3) there's no damage 4) it's in good shape (little wear)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2016, 23:01:25 by Bucake »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:01:15 »

I actually looked into that since the G9x is easily my favorite shape and it's sadly pretty difficult.  The G9x has a ridiculously low, cramped interior due to its design (the weight compartment and such).  I tried a fair number of PCBs and they were basically all too tall (a byproduct of the lens since it's really low profile in the G9x but not with other mice) or too wide in the front, not to mention the plungers that hit the M1/M2 are offset in the G9x so you'd have to figure out something for that.  Basically you need to find a mouse that is small and very low profile, but those are the mice that get bad sensors.  The side buttons also provide a challenge due to having a weird design so you'd probably have to be fine without those (and there's no chance you could use the DPI buttons).

It's a real shame that logitech is convinced a G9x refresh wouldn't sell.  I do think it's true it wouldn't sell gangbusters since it's not a shape for everyone, but there is absolutely a niche of people you could count on to buy it so they could just do a limited run or something.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:07:51 by a_ak57 »

Offline KingWhoDat

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 01:31:06 »
What is it about the G9X that you just can't do without ? Is it the shape ? I had one a while back and I liked it but I saw someone asking $185 flipping dollars for a few in the marketplace. That blows my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 19:53:00 »
g9x is a ripoff. I wouldn't pay 200+ for 2 buttons and a laser sensor. That little screen is slick, but who's gonna use it? Wish the g502 was a g9x with g600 buttons and a g502 sensor with g502 weights. Same for g9, crappy laser and stingy macros for 200+.
hi.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 04:40:09 »
g9x is a ripoff. I wouldn't pay 200+ for 2 buttons and a laser sensor. That little screen is slick, but who's gonna use it? Wish the g502 was a g9x with g600 buttons and a g502 sensor with g502 weights. Same for g9, crappy laser and stingy macros for 200+.

it's inflated because it's been discontinued
I love Elzy

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 09:19:57 »
But even if it was still on sale it would be a ripoff.
hi.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 October 2016, 09:30:05 »
Im on my 3rd G9x, absolute best mouse i have ever used. I think mine is about to die too, when it does thats going to suck a fat one trying to either find a replacement or switch mice *shutter*.

g9x for lyfe

Offline Bucake

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 06:11:14 »
die? what do you mean, disconnect issues? switch or wheel problems? in 99% of the cases those are fixable. if you really really love that G9(x), just open it up, clean it, fix whatever's broken
there's still not a good 1:1 replacement for the G9 shape. there are somewhat similar shapes out there, but still there are obvious differences

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 October 2016, 09:29:01 »
die? what do you mean, disconnect issues? switch or wheel problems? in 99% of the cases those are fixable. if you really really love that G9(x), just open it up, clean it, fix whatever's broken
there's still not a good 1:1 replacement for the G9 shape. there are somewhat similar shapes out there, but still there are obvious differences

Truthfully it probably wont die soon, its just the scroll wheel doesnt always scroll anymore, sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt. I should open it up

Offline rawrjau

• Stop making nice things so I can stop spending
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 22:59:37 »
I too loved the G9x for many years...
I am now using the G Pro and I really like it. It's about 1.5cm longer, about the same height, and about 8mm wider than the G9x. Main differences are the good sensor, weight (No cartridge, and its very light), and how its shaped (G Pro is an ambi while the G9x slopes down from left to right).

Maybe try out the G Pro and see if its right for you?

Offline AceRuckus

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 23:29:36 »
I have 2 new G9x and one new in box but no precision grip. Lmk if you guys are interested. Selling for slightly inflated but not 200+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 15:43:15 »
considering gpro
I love Elzy

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 17:54:22 »
I had to buy a bunch of Logitech G9 mice for my son, who can't seem to learn how to use any other mouse.   And he destroys the G9.   On his 3rd one now in 2 yrs. 

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 12 November 2016, 18:28:28 »
I had to buy a bunch of Logitech G9 mice for my son, who can't seem to learn how to use any other mouse.   And he destroys the G9.   On his 3rd one now in 2 yrs. 

it's the best mouse shape ^^
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 02:54:58 »
considering gpro

Only get it if you love using the G3 series.  It's perfection for those that loved those older smaller shapes.

Currently using it and it's a delight to move across the mouse pad  :thumb: .

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 03:03:14 »
I picked up a g900 from Ebay, coming from a g502... I thought the shape would be garbage, but it's actually pretty good. 22 RWS every game, no lie.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 21:21:44 »
I actully hada g9x, i got it in 6 or 7 years ago and went through one each year cause the stupid sensor would wear out, or the wheel would break, or the screen would crack, it goes on and on. One just wouldn't take power. but when g9x VII broke I said screw it and got a g502. Never been happier. Honestly it surpasses the g9x in sensor, macros, coustomization, being a mouse  :D and extra features. The dang thing was way too tiny., and the sensor is like ripped right from this logitech mouse I use at school-

so that's kind of sad. It was just not very ergonomic, it was cheap, and when my 7th gave out (wouldn't click) I wanted to dump it in the trash. IDK why I bought from logitech again as i hadn;t been too rough on my old one, but I did. The grips and screen were cool tho. I can't imagine using any other mouse, but a g502 like remake would be great. I think that was nutty of me. In fact my only beef with the g502 is you can't get 1 color on multiple dpi profiles. Oh yeah, fun fact i raged at my 7th when it lost power,  took the circuts out used it as a cat toy. And I STILL was not rough on it, I used it with utmost respect.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2016, 21:39:39 by yoshilikesmxbrowns »
hi.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 08:50:19 »
considering gpro
The gpro is too tiny. It's like a really downgraded g502. If you dont mind iffy battery, g700s is a good idea.
hi.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 13:29:32 »
considering gpro
The gpro is too tiny. It's like a really downgraded g502. If you dont mind iffy battery, g700s is a good idea.

I disagree about the GPro being too small. I used to use the G9x without a shell before it died and the GPro has been a great substitute.

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 14:29:46 »
Still on my first G9 (no 'x') going strong for 10+ years of fairly heavy gaming.  Wouldn't use any other mouse (unless they brought back the Logitech MouseMan shape with updated internals and a wheel).  Got a spare G9 new in box should anything go wrong, but so far all I've had to do is shoot some air into the scroll wheel from time to time when it stops registering reliably.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 19:17:07 »
I disagree about the GPro being too small. I used to use the G9x without a shell before it died and the GPro has been a great substitute.

Same here, the G Pro has a far more advanced sensor inside it that it Golden Showers the G9x, in every way possible.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 23:42:42 »
alright i'm buying g pro on friday wish me luck.
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 00:28:08 »
alright i'm buying g pro on friday wish me luck.

No Luck needed, just make sure to get a SN: 1639LZ version because it's pure SEX without the downsides (like gaping, bruising, smelly sweat and pubes in mouth).

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 15:46:55 »
idk best buy had 1636LZ  what's the difference
I love Elzy

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 16:10:24 »
k just got home with it, way better than g502 or g303 but still no g9x. it's pretty nice though but i miss that angled slope. looks like 403 has something similar but it's too big.

weight on the g pro is really nice.
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 17:52:43 »
k just got home with it, way better than g502 or g303 but still no g9x. it's pretty nice though but i miss that angled slope.

How many years have you've been using the G9x?

Getting your hand and wrist to use something other than the G9x is going to take time and reconditioning.  If after a week it doesn't suit you, take it back and get a refund.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 19:14:58 »
this middle mouse button is so slow...

and for many years but i switched over to g303 cuz my g9x died

EDIT: yeah okay I can't use this mousewheel/mouse buttons. It tracks and feels so ****ing smooth though... sad to say I'm gonna be returning it and going back to G303 for now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 December 2016, 19:48:07 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline dante

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 11:59:05 »
I understand your frustration with discontinued peripherals.  I've been looking for backup Ultra X boards which IMHO are the best keyboards Logitech ever made.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 24 December 2016, 19:40:32 »
sucking it up because this mouse is too nice to not use just because of the ****ing scroll wheel, but it's too stiff man it actually hurts.

might try a 403 next?
I love Elzy