Author Topic: An old-school newbie  (Read 2374 times)

Offline aroneo

An old-school newbie
« on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 02:48:30 »
Just (re)starting out in the world of mech keyboards. Old-school user from when mech keyboards were the standard.

Decided to take the plunge into this hobby by getting started with the Havit TKL 89 key. Even though it's in the TKL form factor, it actually has a (truncated) 10 key section. Decided on that because the layout reminded me of MSX style keyboards.

https://www.prohavit.com/products/kb487l-tkl-mechanical-keyboard

Looking to get a keycap set to really give the layout that vintage feel. Really like the Wapuro that @zekth revived. I think it nails the retro vibe with the color scheme, along with the mix of roman and Japanese kana characters. Looking to use that as the majority base. Maybe add a nod to the Epson PX keyboard with orange arrow cluster and red escape key.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112196.0

Anyway, looking forward to being part of this scene!

Offline jamster

Re: An old-school newbie
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 06:43:15 »
Welcome to Geekhack (as one old schooler to another).

And wow, I had no idea that board existed. That's a very appealing form factor, given that southpaw boards are so thin on the ground. I'm going to look at that more closely.

Offline aroneo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 15:40:58 »
...wow, I had no idea that board existed. That's a very appealing form factor, given that southpaw boards are so thin on the ground. I'm going to look at that more closely.

Yeah, it's a nifty little adjustment to the normal TKL form. I've seen complaints that it's frustratingly close to be almost there. Hardcore 10-keyers want an extra row that has an enter key, so that the user doesn't need hop off the 10-key just to enter/register input. I'm not that invested in the functionality of that section, as I'll use it more for navigation than hammering out a spreadsheet or whatever. For me, the look aesthetic of the key placement was one of the main factors of getting it. Nice bonus is that the price is only ~$40.

The switches are knock off mx reds. I've used a number of mechanical KBDs including a few Model M's, a nice Northgate, some of the earlier Apple mech keyboards, and a bunch of 8-bit home machines and a number of terminals units. To me the switches on the Havit 89-key are closer to something that might have come from the 8-bit home era -- good key travel; low-effort, solid, positive feeling action, but there is no bump or noticeable switch click. It's a nice but linear action.

But since my use goal is going to have it be part of a retro emulation machine, I think the feel of it will work wellukwky.

Offline William8291

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 September 2021, 13:03:38 »
I am looking for a set of new keycaps to really give the layout that vintage feel and I think TKL is best suggested to buy quality products. The NinjaEssays share a new color scheme on the MSX style keyboard and I really love this layout.