geekhack Community > Keyboards

Kailh Box Brown Silent- rather disappointed

<< < (7/8) > >>

Volny:

--- Quote from: Leopard223 ---
NovelKeys are launching muted Jades in August, unsure how silent it will be compared to the traditional silent ones but from the short demonstration I’ve seen on IG, it seems quite tolerable.

--- End quote ---

Has anyone heard any news about these?

Kokukenji:
For silent tactile, have you all tried Durock Silent Shrimp? I have the Silent Dolphin and it's amazing, not that jelly like so it still feels smooth but silent. Really curious to see how the Shrimp feels given the tactility.

Volny:

--- Quote from: Kokukenji on Thu, 30 September 2021, 12:47:17 ---For silent tactile, have you all tried Durock Silent Shrimp? I have the Silent Dolphin and it's amazing, not that jelly like so it still feels smooth but silent. Really curious to see how the Shrimp feels given the tactility.

--- End quote ---

I have the shrimps, and I think they're a very good switch, though the tactility is actually too heavy-handed for what I personally wanted them for (alphas). They have virtually no pre-travel, and this, combined with the strong tactile bump, makes them have almost a 'binary' feeling: one moment you're increasing pressure on the key without it even budging, the next moment you've already bottomed out. Similar to Holy Pandas in that respect, I guess. I think this very snappy actuation prevents them from feeling mushy at all, though it depends on how much you hate mushiness, I guess. For me, a rock-hard bottom-out is a bug, not a feature, so I actually prefer a little bit of a cushion on the bottom out.

The stem wobble is pretty acceptable (E/W wobble is minimal, N/S is moderate). I'm trying them with a few different springs, and so far I'm most liking them with some 15mm 55g TX springs - they somehow feel more elegant to me than stock.

Also, I'm a total sucker for switches that look like the things that they're named after, and these guys nail it. They resemble the shrimp below rather than the bright orange ones. But what was a nice surprise for me was that the silicon dampeners form little subtle black lines that can be seen through the translucent housing, just like the black vessels/intestines/whatever that you can see inside a shrimp. I know, it's a trivial and inconsequential thing, but like I said, I'm a sucker for that nonsense :D

Kokukenji:
Thanks for that Volny! I just ordered a batch of shrimps to play with. I like that there are so many options but it's tough trying to figure out personal preference without actually trying to use it yourself. That's likely why this hobby never ends, haha.

HungerMechanic:

--- Quote from: Volny on Fri, 01 October 2021, 04:12:08 ---
I have the shrimps, and I think they're a very good switch, though the tactility is actually too heavy-handed for what I personally wanted them for (alphas). They have virtually no pre-travel, and this, combined with the strong tactile bump, makes them have almost a 'binary' feeling: one moment you're increasing pressure on the key without it even budging, the next moment you've already bottomed out. Similar to Holy Pandas in that respect, I guess.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the detailed review! They seem like a good Silent T1.

'Binary' is a good word to describe switches like this. Most of the current favourites in heavy tactiles are like this.

If you want a more gradient silent tactile, your options are limited. There's Aliaz, Gateron Silent Brown, maybe TTC Silent Brown, and OUTEMU Silent Sky. I prefer Silent Sky. It really is about as intense as an Ergo Clear, depending on spring and housing. It has less pre-travel than a Cherry tactile, but there is greater post-travel after the bump than with U4 / T1. 'P' shape instead of 'D' shape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version