geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

I need some feedbacks for my new board

(1/1)

Tom_Kazansky:
Hello,
I have been a keyboard enthusiast for a while.
I want to run a small GB. I thought it would be a good start to run a small board, 40% layout.

survey form

More pictures of the prototype: https://imgur.com/a/cVOz7Ni

About my board:
- The Layout
my layout is inspired from this design

of course I have to adapt this to qwerty layout.

- Keycaps
I know many people would feel "forced" to use uniform keycap profile so in the future, if my board sales are sufficient, I do plan to run GB for a generic 40% keyset that include supports to my board.

- PCB
the board is powered with ATMega32u4, which is QMK/VIA compatible.
as you can see in the album, this board actually use 2 PCBs (controller-PCB and key-PCB), I know this might be unnecessarily complicated but I can't find other way to put all the components on small PCB (I can't hand-solder smaller components)

- Case
The case is CNC anodized Aluminum.
My current design is two-pieces top-mount case, I plan to change it to one-piece tray-mount case.
This would help keep the price low and it's also easier for me to manage the GB.
After I receive the prototype for new design, I will post a new, more detailed survey.

Please check this survey form and tell me your thoughts.
Thank you for reading.

Gondolindrim:
I like the idea, the layout seems qwerky to use but I am sure that it has some learning curve to it.

I would however refrain from using a 3U spacebar. Those are hard to come by, both in keysets and in stabilizers because the wires needed are not easily obtainable.

Tom_Kazansky:

--- Quote from: Gondolindrim on Sat, 31 July 2021, 17:42:08 ---I like the idea, the layout seems qwerky to use but I am sure that it has some learning curve to it.

I would however refrain from using a 3U spacebar. Those are hard to come by, both in keysets and in stabilizers because the wires needed are not easily obtainable.

--- End quote ---

you're right, weird layout may turn buyers away, so after some feedbacks, I decided to change the layout:

(I still want to keep the symmetrical look)

I think this will help with the sale.

I also change the case design to tray-mount, the case has typing-angle of 5°, also one-piece case would keep the price low.  :D

I will order new prototype soon.
after I receive the prototype and finish the new build, I will post a formal interest check.

Gondolindrim:

--- Quote from: Tom_Kazansky on Sat, 31 July 2021, 22:34:28 ---
--- Quote from: Gondolindrim on Sat, 31 July 2021, 17:42:08 ---I like the idea, the layout seems qwerky to use but I am sure that it has some learning curve to it.

--- End quote ---

you're right, weird layout may turn buyers away, so after some feedbacks, I decided to change the layout:

(Attachment Link)
(I still want to keep the symmetrical look)

I think this will help with the sale.

I also change the case design to tray-mount, the case has typing-angle of 5°, also one-piece case would keep the price low.  :D

I will order new prototype soon.
after I receive the prototype and finish the new build, I will post a formal interest check.

--- End quote ---

Don't gauge ideas by how buyers will receive them. Imprint your persona into your projects, and people will resonate to that

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version