Author Topic: New HHKB owner here!  (Read 3611 times)

Offline raymogi

New HHKB owner here!
« on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 07:47:36 »
Hi all!

Glad to be joining this forum as I've recently went into a keyboard buying craze to replace my trusted Filco Majestouch.

I've been using mechs that was made by Razer and Steelseries, and as I was getting old, those backlit keys are starting to annoy me. I then researched about what other good mechs are out there and stumbled upon Filco. Here in Jakarta, it's hard to source nice mechs so I had to make do with what is available for me. The Filco at that time is perfect as I got myself the side printed black one with Cherry Browns.

Two years since, and now married (and expecting a baby boy!), I feel the need to replace my trusted Filco. Browsed and Googled around, and it led me to this forum. I started browsing through the nice pictures and guess what I lay my eyes on.. HHKB!!!

That keyboard to me is pure sex. Simple and classy. I had to get one, so I bought the black one with printed keys, as that's the only one available locally. Right away I bought the blank blacks online and the colored esc and control too. Oh, and the 1upkeyboard sleeves too.

Then as I kept browsing on reddit and stuff, I just can't take my eyes off the white one... so I bought it too. Ordered white blanks for it too. All that is left for me now is to get some artisans, a.k.a. BRO CAPS!

I need those so badly I will pay nice amount of money :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fanpeople

Re: New HHKB owner here!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 15:07:06 »
Congratulations, you have arrived at the end of your keyboard quest. HHKB = greatness. Welcome enjoy your stay.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:02:37 »
Best keyboard
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:03:46 »
fanboys

RF 55U #1

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 16:04:31 »
fanboys

RF 55U #1
Best switch x keyboard combo ez

No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 19:59:07 »
Congratulations, you have arrived at the end of your keyboard quest. HHKB = greatness. Welcome enjoy your stay.

LOL. Thanks!

Btw, where can I get those nice keyboard signature made? Anyone to contact?

edit: nvm, I found the thread :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:13:29 by raymogi »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 20:21:03 »
Hi all!

That keyboard to me is pure sex.

'nuff said.  :llama:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 00:03:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Congratulations on your upcoming addition (the baby boy) - I hope things go smoothly :)  You'll need a quiet keyboard for a while after that - HHKB is perfect.

Also to dampen the sound of mine even more, I use a folded sheet of drawer liner underneath.  Very quiet keyboard then.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 03:30:31 »
Baby boy has been born!

White Poker II with TEX Acrylic case + DSA Dolch keyset.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:38:22 »
Baby boy has been born!

White Poker II with TEX Acrylic case + DSA Dolch keyset.

That was quick!  Or are you reporting something that happened a little while ago?

Either way, congratulations! :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:42:25 »
Thanks!

Bought it right before I typed that previous message.

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 10:59:43 »
Congrats Raymogi! Nice to see a fellow Indonesian here :D I'm not Indo, but I grew up there for almost 18 years of my life. Where did you manage to find an HHKB in Jakarta? =))

Also, congrats on buying those two brobots on Reddit just now! They're really nice. The non-trans one looks like Matcha haha.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 19:35:47 »
From my buddy HendyZone :)

Yeah finally I get to own my first ones. The first of many to come I hope.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 19:38:39 »
congrats!  I have a 55g 87ub, and now a lubed 55g type-s :)  They are both amazing
Hi :)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 20:36:44 »
Was gonna get the type-s myself but after watching all the comparison videos, somehow I like the normal hhkb sound better.

Pefect click and clackiness for me :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 06:08:38 »
Was gonna get the type-s myself but after watching all the comparison videos, somehow I like the normal hhkb sound better.

Thock unite! :D

Offline TastaturenAuslese

• Formerly temence
  • life marrow suckerer
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 12:08:26 »

Dental band it! I did the landing pad mod on mine and I've never looked back. All thock and no plasticy clack.
Home: Kishsaver - IBM 6019284/F62 | Work: HHKB Professional 2 Silenced | Temporary Retirement:
More
IBM '89 1391401 Merrill Lynch Financial Edition

They are a functional and practical indulgence.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 19:47:55 »
Just saw a thread on how to do it.. seems hard for me xD

Btw, which band should I get? The thread that has the instruction on has an expired ebay link.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 06:04:51 »
There's quite a few threads on dental banding an HHKB (or other Topre keyboard), here's just a few of them:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36383.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40582.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49163.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51403.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52145.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60983.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61002.0
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68128.0

The thing is, a Type-S HHKB has slightly thinner sliders, so that the switches can return higher up, like the non-Type-S does.

If you put dental bands, or something similar, on a standard HHKB you will find that the switches are permanently down by the thickness of the rings.

Are you sure this is something you want to do?  I just enjoy the Thorpe thock, and remove my folded drawer liner if I want more thock.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 August 2015, 06:07:24 »
Nah I was just curious about the process. I wouldn't dare to pry open the case.

If I wanted the sound of the Type-S, then I'll just go and buy a Type-S. Make it a complete HHKB Pro 2 family :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:43:51 »
Nah I was just curious about the process. I wouldn't dare to pry open the case.

If I wanted the sound of the Type-S, then I'll just go and buy a Type-S. Make it a complete HHKB Pro 2 family :D

That's the spirit!

Although you'll need to JP version too ;)

Offline raymogi

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 August 2015, 05:55:33 »
Dunno about that small spacebar :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:38:39 »
Dunno about that small spacebar :D

Well done!  You have found an argument to resist the temptation!

Now just try to ignore the fact that it is a HHKB, it has Topre switches, and it has dedicated arrow keys, and you'll be fine :p

Offline raymogi

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:42:23 »
Wait what??!

I never pay attention that closely.. IT HAS ARROW CLUSTER!

rowdy, I blame you for another HHKB purchase.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 05:57:24 »
Wait what??!

I never pay attention that closely.. IT HAS ARROW CLUSTER!

rowdy, I blame you for another HHKB purchase.

:p

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 06:16:18 »
Welcome and congratulations. You have chosen a truly great keyboard. It took me a while (and I went through many types of keyboards) before adopting the HHKB Pro 2 as my primary board at home and work. I've modded one of them with 55g domes and Silencing Rings along with a new set of blue Topre alpha caps.

109231-0

The image shows the version with black lettered mods, but I have replaced those with black blanks. Enjoy your HHKBs!