Author Topic: Greetings... and first post  (Read 1322 times)

Offline sz42

Greetings... and first post
« on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 19:09:52 »
Greetings, all.

Very glad to be on here, finally.  Been lurking for a little while picking up bits and bobs of juicy info.  I'm really impressed by the awesome community and all the cool toys being built and I figured it was time to make my account and join in.  Mostly, I will really appreciate being able to talk to others about keyboards without their eyes glazing over after about the second sentence.

I bought my first commercial mechanical keyboard a few months ago;  Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid-i with Cherry MX Blues.  Pretty nice upgrade for me but I quickly learned about those little key dampeners and I installed the 0.2mm ones.  Then, I tried a set of blank DSA keys--I haven't decided if I prefer the DCS caps yet.  After a month or so of hunting for parts and hmming and hawing about my plate DXF, I came to realize that getting keycaps is about a zillion times simpler if I don't wish for anything strange like "sets that come with 1.75 shift keys" or "DSA profile keys with support for backlighting".  I know I still have a lot to learn about keyboard stuff.

I'm pretty comfortable with LibreCAD and I'll *definitely* get around to learning KiCAD sometime.  Maybe OpenSCAD too.

And now, my journey begins...

So... anyway... Howdy, folks!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Greetings... and first post
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 05:50:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Dampeners - O-rings, landings pads of silicone balls?  Bet you never knew there were so many options ;)

I don't think I've seen any DSA sets that are backlight-friendly, so you're safe there :p

But any keyboard that has a standard US ANSI layout you shouldn't have any difficulties finding keycaps for.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sz42

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 15:45:47 »
Thanks.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that backlighting is neat but *not* one of my must-have features.  Again, in order to simplify my switch matrix wiring requirements, LED backlighting is probably not a feature I will attempt to build in on my first try.  On the plus side, there are waaay more beautiful keycap options out there that aren't so backlight-friendly.

Sticking to standard layouts when making a first keyboard from scratch is probably very wise advice for newbs like me (94-keys looked kinda neat on paper... until I went looking for full keycap sets).  I'm thinking to aim for a boring TKL design initially.  I'm guessing that I'll probably graduate to a 60% to 75% keyboard once I try some layering experiments on an actual programmable 80% one.  Gotta keep my ESC key handy for Vim.

I only slightly regret spending on a commercial keyboard when I could have put that money towards parts for making my own, however, owning one has been a really good learning process.

* sz42 gets dangerously close to placing another keyboard part order

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 22:35:08 »
hi
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline icyskyz

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 00:42:40 »
welcome to GH!
My collections - flickr | HWS Keyng Collector |

Offline krbuck

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 07:38:05 »
Welcome to GH!

POK3R - Brown Cherry MX

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 05:59:22 »
Thanks.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that backlighting is neat but *not* one of my must-have features.  Again, in order to simplify my switch matrix wiring requirements, LED backlighting is probably not a feature I will attempt to build in on my first try.  On the plus side, there are waaay more beautiful keycap options out there that aren't so backlight-friendly.

Sticking to standard layouts when making a first keyboard from scratch is probably very wise advice for newbs like me (94-keys looked kinda neat on paper... until I went looking for full keycap sets).  I'm thinking to aim for a boring TKL design initially.  I'm guessing that I'll probably graduate to a 60% to 75% keyboard once I try some layering experiments on an actual programmable 80% one.  Gotta keep my ESC key handy for Vim.

I only slightly regret spending on a commercial keyboard when I could have put that money towards parts for making my own, however, owning one has been a really good learning process.

* sz42 gets dangerously close to placing another keyboard part order

Your wisdom is growing :)

An idea is to create a keyboard that is a subset of a standard layout, like the JD40.  Or a superset, where the extra keys are readily available.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 September 2015, 06:39:17 »
WELCOME TO GH MA BRO and hope you enjoy it here like I do