Author Topic: Duck Keyboard Weights AND BACK INSERTS- Orion V3  (Read 53071 times)

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
Duck Keyboard Weights AND BACK INSERTS- Orion V3
« on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 20:00:55 »
Hello All,

With the first round of Duck Orion V3 boards heading our way very soon... seems like a good time to add some brass!

As some of you will know, I ran my first (and only) group buy and made weights for the Eagle/ Viper, Jetfire, TC-V3 and Lightsaver v3. Old thread here (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96368.0) if you weren't part of it and want to peruse. It wasn't perfect by any means, but all orders were fulfilled. Lessons were also certainly learned and I've done this round much differently!

1. Weights are done and in my hands. I ordered and paid for all the brass, so we're starting ahead of the game.

2. I'm doing this much more simply- the only weight being offered here are the Orion V3. (I do have a few of various models/ engraving options left from the previous buy, so if you're looking for an Eagle/ Viper, LSv3, TC-V3 or Jetfire, let me know. I just mean that this run, I am only making one weight, one size.)

3. I'm using different shops for polishing and engraving. I have worked with both and have samples in hand. Extremely good work!! See below.

You have three options to purchase:

1. RAW BRASS.

This is the condition of all weights right now and once again, these are in my hands in this condition. I have purchased the brass slabs cut for Orion and had the countersinks CNC'ed on all of them. You should expect raw brass. There will be sharp edges around the weight from the cutting and random blemishes/ scratches/ smudges as shown below.

Price: $55 + shipping.

2. POLISHED BRASS.

Weights will be polished with no engraving. You should expect a weight with countersinks, a nice smooth mirror polished finish and buffed edges.

Price: $65 + shipping.

3. ENGRAVED BRASS.

Weights will be polished, then CNC engraved, then any scuffs will be buffed out again by the polishing house. This is way more expensive than I thought it would be because of the complexity of the graphics and willingness of the shop to reset the machine over and over to account for flatness variation within the brass. The graphic is done by CNC-engraving and each weight takes about 30 minutes of CNC time (CNC shops calculate all prices by the machine minute). The engraving is a little complex... but it looks phenomenal. If you want to go the full hog, you'll like this one. You should expect a weight with countersinks, mirror polished brass and a cnc-engraved graphic. Please see the prototype images below. I do apologize for the cost, but this is what it's going to take to get these done. It's no sweat for me on this, I'm not invested in any of the formats here - just wanted to offer a top-quality weight I was confident in after the engraving in the last round was a little meh in places. I could have tried more shops, etc and maybe shaved this down a lot, but I like my CNC dude and I'm out of time to get these done, so this is what it is.

Many thanks once again to Gaiden for the artwork assist on these. Dude is crazy talented and I can't thank him enough for putting the graphic together just as I imagined it. Plus, he's a freaking great guy and I'm grateful for him as a friend.

Price: $105 + shipping.

This thing was really hard to get good photos of, folks. It's lovely though - I'm very pleased with how it all turned out.

Timeline:

Here's the good and bad with this one. I have 70 weights in hand to sell... so I'm just going to do this fully FCFS and start shipping RAW weights as they are ordered. For the others, of course, I'd like to do polishing and engraving in larger batches, so I'll compile those orders as they come in and fulfill asap. However, please order now. I'll start taking orders as soon as this thread is live and will begin invoicing immediately- I paid for the brass like three months ago - wifey says "sell those freaking things!" or something like that. When 70 weights are gone, we're done. For the engraved and polished, I'll go run them through polishing and engraving within a couple of weeks even if all 70 aren't claimed so I can get them shipped.

Orders Open: When the thread is approved

Orders Close: When 70 weights are sold

ORDER FORM: https://forms.gle/wf6SWx6tsMqQ69Yf6

Shipping:

RAW- Immediately
POLISHED and ENGRAVED- within 4 weeks from close of the sale.

We should have a nice tight, tidy timeline on this one, folks. With material in hand, polishing and engraving samples looking  :thumb:, I think we have a much-improved process from last time.

I will use a medium flat-rate box for all US shipping. I can add the $14.35 into the first invoice if you'd like. From running the first batch, if it was only one weight, I was able to save folks a couple of bucks by shipping in a first-class box instead of flat-rate. However, these are enough larger than anything in the last run, the difference would be minimal or none, so I think for ease of shipping/ record keeping/ invoicing, I'll do all US via flat-rate this time. International, from the last round, I'd expect in the ~$25-30 range for most international locations.

That's it! Please contact me anytime via any method below with any questions!

Geekhack: smittysteve
Reddit: smittysteve
Discord: Smittysteve#5074
Instagram: bet you can't guess!?! But there aren't as many keyboard pics there as there are pics of my awesome kids, so if you like kids, feel free to follow me there.
email: smlsmith9@gmail.com

That should cover the range of contacting me. As usual, there is a lot of life going on in my world, but I'm committed (and invested) in getting these out asap. In fact, for reasons, I want to have everything shipped out for this buy by the end of June.

Thank you for looking at the thread and considering adding some brass to your upcoming Orion boards!!!

UPDATE/ NEWS: I'm going to make a run of inserts for the back of these boards. As you've seen in the awesome photos out of Korea, the bottom of the Orion V3 has Duck's "X" and two dot pattern machined within a recess. Many have made inserts from wood, carbon fiber, acrylic, etc and we can do the same. Please register interest here/ vote for materials you're interested in!

https://forms.gle/vJ1zahDQPuDLZBVj9

8-15-19 INSERT TIME!

https://forms.gle/G6i5T8RwB6iZ1fkz7

I'll try to update here with more details/ pics, but it's pretty self-explanatory in the form. I've worked out pricing and materials - you can pick up inserts in carbon fiber, wood or a cool-looking silver acrylic.

I will most likely watch the initial trend and then pay upfront/ order with some extras for those that miss the form. If you want an insert, please click above. If you need to work out payment terms, just message me. I don't mind spotting you for it as long as needed - I just want an accurate count and want everyone who wants one to get one!  :thumb: :thumb:

WEIGHTS REMAINING:
Engraved: 0
Polished: 15
Raw: 0
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2019, 12:19:44 by smittysteve »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: Duck Keyboard Weights - Orion V3
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 04:32:08 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline itskuroi

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 05:42:51 »
Ordered! Looks great

Offline iEatPuppers

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 06:40:36 »
I like the engraving, even more so after realising that it's based on the Orion constellation. Ordered!

Offline haingo1094

• @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 06:57:24 »
Ordered!

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 08:58:28 »
Ordered! Looks great

I like the engraving, even more so after realising that it's based on the Orion constellation. Ordered!

Ordered!

Awesome- thank you all for ordering!! Glad that you like the new engraving design, Gaiden outdid himself this time!

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:20:33 »
What does a brother have to do to get the weight design files for Duck keyboards?

Here's my story: I am in a close group of mech enthusiasts who among us, own more than several Duck keyboards. We live in a place where access to brass machining service is easy and affordable, which means we can have the weights made for our boards at costs considerably lower than those of this GB (and the previous ones), let alone shipping to our country which is expensive. I have been trying to contact relevant individuals and ask for their permission to use the files strictly for non-commercial use, but no luck at all.

My argument is: Duck keyboards, fantastic as they are, are incomplete products without the weights. That's why they put the weight compartment there in the first place. It is simply frustrating for us to have paid thousands of dollars in total for what we consider incomplete, and then have to join a separate GB to be able to complete them while we have the ability do it ourselves at lower cost, with less waiting time and arguably of better quality, if the designs are shared.

Please don't get me wrong, my words mean no harm to this GB. In fact, I wish it the best of luck as it provides the exact solution that many people need. But not us, and I'm quite sure there are Duck keyboard owners out there who feel the same way as we do. Based on my experience in this community, GB runners sharing design files is a fairly common practice, for instance, the SAIB-CP was missing the weight the its runner did publish the file after GB finished.

I was about to give up on my venture and sit on my frustration, but I can't, now that this GB came up conveniently right before the conclusion of the Orion V3 GB, meanwhile my reasonable request (I think) has been largely ignored.

Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline Legoo

• Hello
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:45:36 »
Ordered for the engraved one, looks amazing !
E6_V2 R2 | Time80RE | OTD The Cheat | J80 | Iron180 | Solenoid MX M0110A | ACR60 | HHKB Pro 2 | Brown Alps Duck Orion v3 | TGR Alice Polycarb proto | Duck Lightpad | Orange Alps Duck Raven | TADA68 | TX75 | LZ CLS MS

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 11:12:55 »
What does a brother have to do to get the weight design files for Duck keyboards?

Here's my story: I am in a close group of mech enthusiasts who among us, own more than several Duck keyboards. We live in a place where access to brass machining service is easy and affordable, which means we can have the weights made for our boards at costs considerably lower than those of this GB (and the previous ones), let alone shipping to our country which is expensive. I have been trying to contact relevant individuals and ask for their permission to use the files strictly for non-commercial use, but no luck at all.

My argument is: Duck keyboards, fantastic as they are, are incomplete products without the weights. That's why they put the weight compartment there in the first place. It is simply frustrating for us to have paid thousands of dollars in total for what we consider incomplete, and then have to join a separate GB to be able to complete them while we have the ability do it ourselves at lower cost, with less waiting time and arguably of better quality, if the designs are shared.

Please don't get me wrong, my words mean no harm to this GB. In fact, I wish it the best of luck as it provides the exact solution that many people need. But not us, and I'm quite sure there are Duck keyboard owners out there who feel the same way as we do. Based on my experience in this community, GB runners sharing design files is a fairly common practice, for instance, the SAIB-CP was missing the weight the its runner did publish the file after GB finished.

I was about to give up on my venture and sit on my frustration, but I can't, now that this GB came up conveniently right before the conclusion of the Orion V3 GB, meanwhile my reasonable request (I think) has been largely ignored.

My only hesitation in giving out Duck's files is just that- they aren't mine to distribute. He has been EXTREMELY kind to me offering the files and measurements and help as I've gone through the weight projects. He's an insanely nice person and I will always support his buys for that alone. However, I feel funny passing on something given to me that isn't mine. That said, I'm 99% sure he won't mind, it's just something I don't feel is my right to decide for him.

He knows about my projects, obviously and I'm sure he'd be fine with yours. I will ask him next time I have the chance if he's ok with me passing it along to you because like you said, these boards need weights. Merlin did a fantastic job on the early runs and as he was busy, I've tried to pick these up just to help out. You're right, you can surely do them at lower costs outside of the US- I'm stomaching the cost here (and those choosing to order are doing the same) because I'm making them locally in small batches, which is a bit spendy.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 11:38:44 »
My only hesitation in giving out Duck's files is just that- they aren't mine to distribute. He has been EXTREMELY kind to me offering the files and measurements and help as I've gone through the weight projects. He's an insanely nice person and I will always support his buys for that alone. However, I feel funny passing on something given to me that isn't mine. That said, I'm 99% sure he won't mind, it's just something I don't feel is my right to decide for him.

He knows about my projects, obviously and I'm sure he'd be fine with yours. I will ask him next time I have the chance if he's ok with me passing it along to you because like you said, these boards need weights. Merlin did a fantastic job on the early runs and as he was busy, I've tried to pick these up just to help out. You're right, you can surely do them at lower costs outside of the US- I'm stomaching the cost here (and those choosing to order are doing the same) because I'm making them locally in small batches, which is a bit spendy.

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I totally understand your ground, that's why I didn't want to put you in a difficult situation by asking further and went straight to Duck after that. I've pursued this little project for quite a while and seemed to reach a dead end, so I was just venting my frustration, not meaning to call anyone out.

It's possible that I've been knocking the wrong door, and I'd really appreciate it if you could put in a word or two to see if he's ok with the idea. Again, best of luck with the GB!
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline sJ1N

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 11:54:42 »
engraved looks dope ! in for one  :)

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 13:37:08 »
Ordered! Looks great

Ordered!

Awesome- thank you all for ordering!! Glad that you like the new engraving design, Gaiden outdid himself this time!

The CNC engraving looks super clean, very nice, Steve.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 13:52:39 »
The engraved weight shown above hasn't been polished yet, is that correct?

Offline Hoobreezy

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 15:18:16 »
Ordered a polished brass weight w/o the engraving for my Jetfire last GB, and put in my order for an engraved Orion v3 one this morning! Thanks again for this, Steve! :thumb:

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:19:37 »
The engraved weight shown above hasn't been polished yet, is that correct?

It has been polished actually. I tried the engraving on an unpolished weight too just for fun and to see if it was worth offering as an option, but it looked terrible. The engraving is so nice, with the other unpolished scuffs and such still there, it just didn't work. If anyone does want an unpolished/ engraved, we can do it (and I can send you pics). It's $10 less - exactly what the polishing shop is charging per.

Edit: I do see what you mean- it was really hard to get good pics of the polishing and engraving. I'll try to take a few more tonight to show it off a bit better.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:23:14 by smittysteve »

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:22:00 »
Thank you all for the kind comments and for jumping in with orders.

21 gone so far. Breakdown in case you're curious: 10 engraved, 9 polished, 2 raw. I'll start sending some invoices tonight and will plan to ship the 2 raw (and any others that come in over the weekend) on Monday.

Going to go post on MM now. If you know anyone waiting for that sweet Orion, thanks kindly for pointing them to this thread. :)

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:23:14 »
Maybe it is the lighting, the polished weight (#2) is a lot shinier than the engraved one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:24:20 »
Maybe it is the lighting, the polished weight (#2) is a lot shinier than the engraved one.

For sure the lighting. I tried outdoor, indoor, in the garage. It was tricky to photograph for sure. It does look really nice in person though.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:41:15 »

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. I totally understand your ground, that's why I didn't want to put you in a difficult situation by asking further and went straight to Duck after that. I've pursued this little project for quite a while and seemed to reach a dead end, so I was just venting my frustration, not meaning to call anyone out.

It's possible that I've been knocking the wrong door, and I'd really appreciate it if you could put in a word or two to see if he's ok with the idea. Again, best of luck with the GB!

Thank you too for the kind words and for understanding. No offense taken at all and sorry that you've tried other routes already too with more frustration. Happy to help if at all possible- I'll keep you posted in PMs.  :thumb:

Offline cuongcan2020

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:50:04 »
In for one.

Does it come with the screws?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 18:57:44 »
In for one.

Does it come with the screws?

Aah, yes, thank you for reminding me- forgot to put that in OP. Yes indeed, comes with brass screws. :thumb:

Edit- and thanks for joining!

Offline Broseph

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 19:08:01 »
Sweet in for an engraved one

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:17:11 »
Sweet in for an engraved one

Thanks for joining, Broseph. Love the name!

Offline homiechicken

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 20:59:51 »
In for a polished weight!

Offline objex

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 21:11:14 »
I think I'm confused about the weights, this will be my first board with one. Is this an internal weight? AKA this will NOT be visible on the bottom of the board once built? And if so, does that mean after installing this weight, the bottom of the case will still have that empty recessed area with the "X" logo that looks like a weight is supposed to go there?

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 21:44:31 »
I think I'm confused about the weights, this will be my first board with one. Is this an internal weight? AKA this will NOT be visible on the bottom of the board once built? And if so, does that mean after installing this weight, the bottom of the case will still have that empty recessed area with the "X" logo that looks like a weight is supposed to go there?

Yes, this is an internal weight. There is a cutout on the inside that fits the weight.
If you check duck’s instagram, and kbdlab, you can see pictures of people making cosmetic “weights” that
Fit into the bottom “x” cutout. I believe they are attaching those with double sided tape.

It seems Duck has teased a brass weight for the “X” cutout, but there are no screw holes on the bottom.
SmittySteve, if you happen to have knowledge of files/weights/plans for the bottom “X” cutout, that would be very interesting!

I’m in for one.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 21:52:31 »
GLWGB
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline objex

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 22:07:28 »
Yes, this is an internal weight. There is a cutout on the inside that fits the weight.
If you check duck’s instagram, and kbdlab, you can see pictures of people making cosmetic “weights” that
Fit into the bottom “x” cutout. I believe they are attaching those with double sided tape.

It seems Duck has teased a brass weight for the “X” cutout, but there are no screw holes on the bottom.
SmittySteve, if you happen to have knowledge of files/weights/plans for the bottom “X” cutout, that would be very interesting!

I’m in for one.

Thanks for the explanation. I think that info would be useful to have in the OP. Yeah I saw the ones on kbdlab, those are what I'm interested in. I didn't even realize that there aren't screw holes or anything to secure an external weight, so that's pretty embarrassing. I'm not sure I would've joined Orion v3 had I fully grasped the bottom case design, lol whoops.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 00:38:01 »

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 00:40:01 »

I’m in for one.

I’m in for one.

Thanks for the explanation. I think that info would be useful to have in the OP. Yeah I saw the ones on kbdlab, those are what I'm interested in. I didn't even realize that there aren't screw holes or anything to secure an external weight, so that's pretty embarrassing. I'm not sure I would've joined Orion v3 had I fully grasped the bottom case design, lol whoops.

Yeah, I've seen the same pics bouncing around and it is a bit confusing! I will see if I can get some information on this asap and post here.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 03:39:40 »
Everyone who has submitted an order so far should have an invoice. Please let me know if you ordered a weight but don't see an invoice or if I've otherwise buggered anything up.

We are at 33 weights gone so far- about halfway there. If you want one, jump on in.  :thumb: :thumb:

I'll be shipping the raw weights Monday or Tuesday. I'm also going to go take the first batch over for polishing to get the polished and engraved weights moving. I'll keep you posted as we go.

Offline iEatPuppers

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 03:58:25 »
I was invoiced for an amount of zero dollars. I'm international though; was that intentional?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 03:59:45 »
I was invoiced for an amount of zero dollars. I'm international though; was that intentional?

Whoops, nope. Just missed that little amount field. I’ll fix it for you in the am - sorry about that!

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 13:00:13 »
Filled out form last week, no invoice :(

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 16:48:59 »

Coming this evening- and yours is over at polishing already with the first batch.  :thumb:

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 16:57:31 »
Hi All- quick update. 40 weights are at polishing, should be done Tuesday. Will be shipping most if not all of the current polished only orders on Wednesday/ Thursday. CNC engraving will begin late next week. The shop is busy but will be working in parts from our order in between other jobs. The unengraved weights will ship tomorrow.  :thumb: :thumb:

I'm in the midst of a move, so thusly the motivation to get this all done by the end of the month. Think we're actually looking pretty solid.

Anyone on the fence- message me. I'd really prefer to ship weights off this month and worry about payment later. I trust you knuckleheads in this community, so if you want one but want to pay later, just send me a message.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 20:58:49 »

Coming this evening- and yours is over at polishing already with the first batch.  :thumb:
Thanks Steve!

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 13:21:39 »
Paid! Looking forward. Thanks!

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:02:44 »
Shipped raw Orion V3 orders as well as those who have picked up a TC-V3, Jetfire, etc. today. Have sent a couple of tracking numbers, but we're hosting a big kids party tonight, so won't get the rest out until late tonight or tomorrow. However, if you're an older weight or raw Orion, it's in the mail and you'll see it on Monday.

Spoke with the polishing house- I am picking them up Tuesday, so will look to ship those babies Wednesday/ Thursday next week.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt payments- extremely helpful.

Have a great weekend, y'all.

Offline cuongcan2020

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 10:38:51 »
Shipped raw Orion V3 orders as well as those who have picked up a TC-V3, Jetfire, etc. today. Have sent a couple of tracking numbers, but we're hosting a big kids party tonight, so won't get the rest out until late tonight or tomorrow. However, if you're an older weight or raw Orion, it's in the mail and you'll see it on Monday.

Spoke with the polishing house- I am picking them up Tuesday, so will look to ship those babies Wednesday/ Thursday next week.

Thanks to everyone for the prompt payments- extremely helpful.

Have a great weekend, y'all.

Hi, any updates on the polished weights?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 07:24:35 »
Hello All,

I drove down to the polishing house Thursday and picked up 25 of the weights which I took over to the CNC folks for engraving. Polishing looks AMAZING- really nice... but of course, they are slightly behind and I left the rest with him to finish up. Therefore, I haven't shipped anything other than the older weights and Orion V3 Raw off yet. I'll plan on shipping all remaining orders - polished and engraved the week of the 23rd. I'm out on work travel this coming week so nothing will move, but the folks here are working through finishing engraving and polishing.

Logistics notes... I am in the midst of a move, thusly the compressed timeline. Our fam is heading out of Tucson, so after this month, working with these manufacturers who I really like will become more costly (ie: shipping). As of right now, 17 engraved weights have been ordered and I'm making 25. I think that will be it for the engraved - if you want one, get it now. All of my remaining unclaimed weights, I'm polishing, but unless someone really wants it, once these 25 engraved weights are gone, I don't think I'd try to ship a weight back to my shop here. I will work to find a shop in our new home, but no timeline to that. After the move, I'll have weights available until they are gone, but engraved will be limited to what I'm making now.

NEWS: I have sorted out details of the back insert and have the files from Duck to make a run of those! Currently, the back is indeed cut with a recess including the "X" and two dots. There are no screw holes for mounting, so most people have made something light - wood, carbon fiber, acrylic, etc and mounted that with double-sided tape. Want to do the same?? I have quotes on a variety of materials, please register interest/ vote for materials here:

https://forms.gle/nVebjeXPz2XboTZZ6

Thanks for the support this run. Sorry that it's a little hectic and fast, but I want to wrap up the first wave of orders before moving. Email or message me if you need anything!

EDIT: Here's a pic of what the insert will look like.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 June 2019, 07:45:20 by smittysteve »

Offline Carlobv

Re: Duck Keyboard Weights AND BACK INSERTS- Orion V3
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 08:46:33 »
Would it be possible to do combined shipping for the weight and the insert?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 08:56:22 »
Would it be possible to do combined shipping for the weight and the insert?

For sure.

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 08:58:30 »
Thanks, just filled the form for a weight, but would obv want to wait on the insert. 

Offline Broseph

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 13:42:41 »
Hello All,

I drove down to the polishing house Thursday and picked up 25 of the weights which I took over to the CNC folks for engraving. Polishing looks AMAZING- really nice... but of course, they are slightly behind and I left the rest with him to finish up. Therefore, I haven't shipped anything other than the older weights and Orion V3 Raw off yet. I'll plan on shipping all remaining orders - polished and engraved the week of the 23rd. I'm out on work travel this coming week so nothing will move, but the folks here are working through finishing engraving and polishing.

Logistics notes... I am in the midst of a move, thusly the compressed timeline. Our fam is heading out of Tucson, so after this month, working with these manufacturers who I really like will become more costly (ie: shipping). As of right now, 17 engraved weights have been ordered and I'm making 25. I think that will be it for the engraved - if you want one, get it now. All of my remaining unclaimed weights, I'm polishing, but unless someone really wants it, once these 25 engraved weights are gone, I don't think I'd try to ship a weight back to my shop here. I will work to find a shop in our new home, but no timeline to that. After the move, I'll have weights available until they are gone, but engraved will be limited to what I'm making now.

NEWS: I have sorted out details of the back insert and have the files from Duck to make a run of those! Currently, the back is indeed cut with a recess including the "X" and two dots. There are no screw holes for mounting, so most people have made something light - wood, carbon fiber, acrylic, etc and mounted that with double-sided tape. Want to do the same?? I have quotes on a variety of materials, please register interest/ vote for materials here:

Thanks for the support this run. Sorry that it's a little hectic and fast, but I want to wrap up the first wave of orders before moving. Email or message me if you need anything!

Show Image

What would the time frame for the inserts be? I'd like it to ship with my weight as well.

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 16:23:12 »
Hello All,

Show Image

What would the time frame for the inserts be? I'd like it to ship with my weight as well.

This is a good question and fair question. Clearly many ordering one will also want the other. I hadn’t thought that through- being concerned with getting the weights done and shipped before we move.

However, shipping together makes a ton of sense since I’m planning on doing flat rate.

I don’t mind waiting and shipping things together, but I’d estimate it will be end of July-ish to ship. We’re moving, but won’t have the new place ready to move in for a few months so we’ll be dirtbagging it for a month or so. I don’t want to over promise since I know life will be busy.

Shipping the inserts should be pretty easy/ cheap. I think I’ll be able to send them in bubble mailers like Danny and I did for the Viper/ Eagle diffusers.

Totally your call. I was excited to get weights out and in your hands concurrent to the boards arriving. However, if you don’t mind waiting, I can hold on to it and ship with bottom insert after the move.

If you have ordered a weight and want an insert, please just shoot me a message and I’ll make a note in the spreadsheet regarding ship the weight ASAP next week or wait and ship together. Thanks!

Offline cuongcan2020

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 20:21:33 »
Hi, any updates?

Offline smittysteve

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 10:35:45 »
Hello All,

So... you may recall, I suffer from pathological optimism. Really sorry about that - there was just no way I was shipping weights out while working, packing up life for myself, wife, three kids, two dogs, etc., loading the moving trucks and driving from AZ to CO. It's been a bear the last week or so and no weights have moved. Jordan says she's never moving again, so it looks like we'll be in Colorado for a while! :)

However, I do have all of the weights engraved and polished and in hand. It took a few trips down to the shops (~40 min) while moving, but wanted to get everything done before moving so I'm not shipping these around. I carried them in my car to make sure this fine brass made the trip safely and I'm now ready to get everything shipped out. I believe I'll have all orders shipped by the end of next week and still hope they arrive alongside these gorgeous stinking boards. SO stoked to get mine!

I think I'm all caught up on invoices - just sent out all that I think I had waiting (and thank you all very much for your kind messages and patience!). If you think you should have an invoice but don't, please message me!

Oh, I'll just leave this here. Holy smokes, all of the weights turned out amazing. The polishing shop worked really hard on these and it shows!!! And the engraved weights... well, judge for yourself. At current totals from the spreadsheet, I have four more engraved weights available, so if you want one of these bad boys, fill out the form asap. I have 20 polished weights available, but again, when all of these are gone, they are gone.

INSERT UPDATE:
I have quotes on inserts and will post the order form for order those early next week. I think we'll end up with: carbon fiber (clear #1), wood (clear #2) and one or two acrylic options. I'm still working on pricing, but I need to keep the choices somewhat limited to get the best pricing. Still very much TBD, but I think CF will be ~$30, wood and acrylic ~$20. If you are interested in an insert and haven't yet filled out the interest form, please do - it helps me dial in materials and pricing. :)

Thanks, everyone- you all rock. Have a very happy 4th of July to those of you enjoying some firecrackers today!!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 10:54:18 »
Thanks for the update, Steve.  I just send you an email.

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 11:45:55 »
Oh, and is it just lighting on the weight, some of the letter on the Orion word doesn't looked filled in (black)?