Author Topic: New member. Already obsessed with out-of-print keysets. Damnit  (Read 2044 times)

Offline TheCowGod

Hey guys. I'm Dan, and I've been interested in mechanical keyboards for years, but the price kept putting me off from looking into them in more detail. I've been very happy with my Apple aluminum (wired, full-size) keyboard for years. But my first computer was a Commodore 64, so I grew up with clickity-clack, and it's what feels most natural to me. Finally last week I decided that since I spend my whole professional life at a keyboard (I'm a developer), it makes sense to invest in making the experience more pleasant. And then, as a pleasant surprise, my boss then offered to have the company pay for my KB :) Pretty awesome.

So after a few days of research, I came to the conclusion that the Das is pretty much widely acknowledged as the best choice, and I ordered a Das 4 Professional. Another day's research (and discovery of this forum) led to me realizing that there's a lot of other options out there worth considering, and desperately begging Amazon to cancel my order, and Amazon sternly shaking its head no. So now, with the Das not even shipped yet, I've placed an order for what I realized ACTUALLY suits me, a KUL ES-87 (plus a white cover, oooh). I'll just have to try to refuse shipment on the Das, or just pay to return it.

I also made the mistake of peeking into the keycap forums, and after brief flirtations with the idea of joining on the SA Retro GB, or ordering a WASD custom set, I now find myself dead-set on tracking down an Eve set -- simply beautiful. Penumbra looks amazing too (I use the Solarized color scheme in my terminal and in Vim). I see I just missed the GBs for both of them, frustratingly. Looks like Penumbra will be running again in a few months, which is awesome, and I may participate, but I'm in love with the Eve color sheme, so that's what I'm really trying to find. We'll see how that goes -- looks like everyone else is after it too :)

Anyway. Just wanted to say hi. You've claimed another one for your ranks :)

Offline blastoid

Re: New member. Already obsessed with out-of-print keysets. Damnit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:16:42 »
If you're an old-school C64 fan, I feel it's my duty to make sure you know that the SA Retro PETSCII add-on set has gone live! (The front-printed drawing symbols)

Unfortunately, the full set is a bit pricey, $80 base + $18 numpad + $55 PETSCII = $153 + shipping + donation

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:32:25 »
Ah, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they had released that set. Hmm, so expensive, but that set has so much nostalgic charm. I definitely prefer EVE or Penumbra to SA-Retro, but since neither of those two seem to be within my grasp at the moment, maybe I should jump on this one. I guess if I end up getting a 60% for portable use, I'll need a second set of keycaps anyway... :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:37:48 »
Welcome to GeekHack!

I too began computing on a C=64 and when I found the SA profile, I completely fell in love. If you're ever in Nashville, let me know and you can try some of my boards to see if you like them.

Keep your eye out in the classifieds for the sets that you've missed, but there's often second and third rounds out so chances are you'll find the set that you're looking for. The problem is stopping at just a set or two  :p They don't call this place WALLET HACK for nothing.

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:28:37 »
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know next time I head over there. We have family in Atlanta, so I pass through Chattanooga a lot, but I don't go up to Nashville very often lately.

Man, if they did a second run of Eve I'd be all over that. It's so frustrating finding exactly the keyset you want, and then just not being able to get your hands on it. Guess I'll just have to be patient. Not my strongest suit :)

Offline Dr. Drats

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:42:37 »
Signature Plastic has Eve sets for $65 + whatever shipping would be. Granted the set is in DSA and you sound like you are looking for SA, but regardless it's worth checking out if that is what you are looking for.

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 22:10:29 »
I haven't tried either layout (other than the SA on my C64 as a kid, I guess?), but I think I'd be happy with either. However, it looks like the actual Eve base set at SP is sold out. They have all the modifier sets, but when you try to add the base set to the cart, you get an error message :( Thanks for the tip though.

Offline kaminbobby

• -_^
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 02:23:42 »
Welcome :)
-_^

Offline blastoid

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:07:02 »
Ah, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know they had released that set. Hmm, so expensive, but that set has so much nostalgic charm. I definitely prefer EVE or Penumbra to SA-Retro, but since neither of those two seem to be within my grasp at the moment, maybe I should jump on this one. I guess if I end up getting a 60% for portable use, I'll need a second set of keycaps anyway... :)

Well, if you just want enough to cover a 60% board, and you're willing to forego the PETSCII caps, you could grab just the $80 base set and be fine.

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:29:55 »
That's true, but I'd need the 6.25x spacebar, so that's a few more dollars, plus I'm a Mac user, so I'd really like to get the Mac set as well, and also I'm a Dvorak typer, so I'd want that pack too. It climbs quickly, even without the PETSCII set :) Still, I'm considering it (without PETSCII). I'd hate to find myself in this same position in a few months, wishing I'd picked up SA Retro, trolling the classifieds looking for a used set. Oh god, this is how it starts, isn't it? :)

Looks like theres's 11 days left on the GB, so maybe I'll give myself 10 days to find an Eve or Penumbra set. If one doesn't turn up in that time, it'd probably be a good idea to jump on SA Retro.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:03:53 »
The base set comes with a 6.25x spacebar, so you shouldn't have to get an extra one unless you're concerned about shine and want a backup.

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:16:23 »
Ohhh, I saw the 7u bar listed and thought I'd have to get my own 6.25. I see you're right, it includes both. OK great, that saves me a few bucks then, thanks :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:16:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It sounds like you are well on the way to participating in the Retro group buy.

And so it begins ... so it begins ...

What switches have you got in the KUL?  SA keycaps are thicker and heavier and tend to work better with stiffer springs, like green, black and clear.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline TheCowGod

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:41:03 »
Thanks :) Yes, it looks like I am. That's a good point -- I've got Blues in the KUL. However, I've been wondering whether these are heavier than I prefer -- Maybe it's just because I'm used to a membrane keyboard with very little travel, but I'm finding my fingers getting a little tired after extensive typing on the KUL. So maybe heavier keys would actually be a benefit for me? I dunno if it actually works that way.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 05:54:48 »
Thanks :) Yes, it looks like I am. That's a good point -- I've got Blues in the KUL. However, I've been wondering whether these are heavier than I prefer -- Maybe it's just because I'm used to a membrane keyboard with very little travel, but I'm finding my fingers getting a little tired after extensive typing on the KUL. So maybe heavier keys would actually be a benefit for me? I dunno if it actually works that way.

Oooooh probably not - heavier keys take more force to actuate, and the muscles in your fingers need to work harder.  Also depending on how you subconsciously hold your hands when applying more force, your wrists might also start to feel sore.

As far as MX goes, reds are maybe a tad lighter than blues, insofar as they do not have the tactile bump to overcome.  There are Gateron switches which are MX compatible, and only 35g (the Gateron clears, that is).  Worst case you could try to find a keyboard with those switches.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ