Author Topic: Stabilizers mushy, sticky feeling problem.  (Read 12341 times)

Offline Impreialist

Stabilizers mushy, sticky feeling problem.
« on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 12:50:46 »
Greetings!

I decided to switch my stabs out to durock v2 stabs, I heard they are excellent. And my old stabs rattled a bit, most likely because of insufficient lubing. But now that I have the new ones in, they have this awful sticky, mushy feeling, where they rise really slowly, I did lube them, and generously, maybe I overdid it? But then I tried going in a with a clean brush to clean a bit off, and some did come off but to no effect. The backspace is pretty good now, but it did start out just as awful as the others. Oh, yeah and the space bar is mostly ok, but there is for sure a hint of the effect. I don't think I overdid the lube, there is a lot in there, but it's stabs, so I should add a lot, my old ones didn't have enough, and they rattle a bit. Are there any other suspects than over lubing here? I don't particularly feel like desoldering everything (again) to get the stabs out to clean them completely and re-lube them. I used 205g0 on them just like I did last time and the switches are the same and I tried them with 1u caps, and they feel perfect, so it has to be the stabs somehow

Offline Engedi_

Re: Stabilizers mushy, sticky feeling problem.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 15:16:26 »
Sounds like you overlubed the stem and the housing. I did overlube my spacebar stabs and it would stick and rise very slowly, so I lifted the stem and wiped it off as the housing would have enough lube to prevent the rattle.

Offline Impreialist

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 15:33:56 »
I see I see, in that case I will experiment with removing some more of the lube, as I only went in with a brush so far, I will try wiping it off properly, thanks.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 15:37:28 »
Yeah, all I did was lift it and wipe it with a paper towel, lol.
It was still a bit sticky but over time it went away.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 07:49:46 »
The solution to everything in life is to put KRYTOX on it