Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1249421 times)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4600 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 08:31:54 »
Most peoples staunch devotion to larger keyboard layouts are not based on any absolute NEED for the extra keys, it's that they don't have the time or patience to learn new muscle memory, and they should present it that way more often.

There are a few legitimate needs for those layouts, but there are less than a few who actually need them.

Offline mode

« Reply #4601 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 08:59:12 »
Who gives a toss about absolute need?

I like full size as I spend a lot of my day resting my head in my hand while doing dev work, and having to use layers would suck for one handed shortcuts.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4602 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:38:07 »

I like full size as I spend a lot of my day resting my head in my hand while doing dev work, and having to use layers would suck for one handed shortcuts.

Good for you man, just make sure you mention that you like it and prefer it, rather than need it. And I'm sure layers would suck for your muscle memory, whereas it would be fine for someone with layer muscle memory.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4603 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 11:27:27 »

Numpad not needed, arrow keys and number row needed

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4604 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 11:32:20 »

Numpad not needed, arrow keys and number row needed

wanted*

Offline ollir_

« Reply #4605 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 00:03:54 »
Most peoples staunch devotion to larger keyboard layouts are not based on any absolute NEED for the extra keys, it's that they don't have the time or patience to learn new muscle memory, and they should present it that way more often.

There are a few legitimate needs for those layouts, but there are less than a few who actually need them.

Since this is the unpopular opinions thread - full size just looks better.

Requesting for people to excuse their preferences as being lazy or reluctant to learn new things is not unpopular opinion, it's purely a d*ck move. But don't worry, I've already taken the time and patience to learn new muscle memory and doing it for a smaller layout hasn't changed my opinion: full-size layout doesn't actually have extra keys. The smaller ones are severely lacking some. This of course makes the users of those layouts jealous and they should present it that way more often.

There's absolutely no reason why I would get a smaller than I'd like keyboard on my desk just because it's the trend. I do have FC660C at work and I've had no trouble muscle memorizing that. So I don't think I'd have any trouble doing it for another layout. But it doesn't look as good as a full size AND let's be honest, using FN every time I want to press some of the F-keys or use Home/End etc. is stupid and not any more ergonomic than using a dedicated button almost as near.

Offline MMKB

« Reply #4606 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 00:13:29 »
Personal experience: 45% works for programming. I prob have spent 2 years on a JD45 at work. The hardest part is to remember where "$%^&" are. Later on I tried 40% but the lack of [{ and '" was too limiting for me.

I honestly couldn't consider going less than TKL at work, and I'm happy on my full size AEK. Do you not use an IDE? switching my shortcuts to a smaller layout would be hell.

I do use an IDE but since I’ve been mostly on a 60%, I already missed the F row shortcuts if that’s what you meant. I have been clicking on the UI which might be slow to some of you.  :) But that’s okay since the biggest programming bottleneck of mine has always been my brain.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4607 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 10:15:53 »
they don't have the time or patience to learn new muscle memory, and they should present it that way more often.
Requesting for people to excuse their preferences as being lazy or reluctant to learn new things is not unpopular opinion, it's purely a d*ck move.

So are you reading another comment, Or are you just that mad? lol

Haven't called anyone lazy, and being reluctant isn't an insult. If someone doesn't have the time or desire to learn something, then that's understandable and fine. But people who prefer full size keyboards seem to have a tendency to pop into threads that have nothing to do with them, and spout loudly about how they "could never use anything without a numpad", or they comment on pictures of smaller boards to say something unnecessary like "lol how do you get anything done?".

I requested only that people who very loudly proclaim they NEED fullsize, should instead usually say they prefer it. Or not really, it's just my opinion that it makes them look less like a tool.

using FN every time I want to press some of the F-keys or use Home/End etc. is stupid and not any more ergonomic than using a dedicated button almost as near.

It's stupid to you. Moving your FN key to somewhere more accessible is very easy. Moving it to a key under your thumb, or a key accessible to your pinky for instance can make it where you may not even have to leave home row for a lot of things, which has a good potential to reduce finger strain and improve ergonomics.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4608 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 11:49:27 »
they don't have the time or patience to learn new muscle memory, and they should present it that way more often.
Requesting for people to excuse their preferences as being lazy or reluctant to learn new things is not unpopular opinion, it's purely a d*ck move.

Haven't called anyone lazy, and being reluctant isn't an insult. If someone doesn't have the time or desire to learn something, then that's understandable and fine. But people who prefer full size keyboards seem to have a tendency to pop into threads that have nothing to do with them, and spout loudly about how they "could never use anything without a numpad", or they comment on pictures of smaller boards to say something unnecessary like "lol how do you get anything done?".

I requested only that people who very loudly proclaim they NEED fullsize, should instead usually say they prefer it. Or not really, it's just my opinion that it makes them look less like a tool.

using FN every time I want to press some of the F-keys or use Home/End etc. is stupid and not any more ergonomic than using a dedicated button almost as near.

It's stupid to you. Moving your FN key to somewhere more accessible is very easy. Moving it to a key under your thumb, or a key accessible to your pinky for instance can make it where you may not even have to leave home row for a lot of things, which has a good potential to reduce finger strain and improve ergonomics.

AAGGH! The yellow in your text! It's hard to see on my low brightness.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4609 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 11:56:28 »

I love yellow :)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4610 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:07:29 »

I love yellow :)

>_<

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4611 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:34:13 »
I prefer keysets with sublegends instead of normal ones, like Cyrillic or Hiragana. Don't know why, I just do.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline yui

« Reply #4612 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 02:30:35 »
I prefer keysets with sublegends instead of normal ones, like Cyrillic or Hiragana. Don't know why, I just do.
well if it adds a color it is even better, and otherwise it makes an otherwise empty part of the key more purposeful (or at least so it would look like to an untrained eye)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4613 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 04:39:32 »

I just realized that now, after ordering a very nice keyset, that I'm probably not going to enjoy it much since I won't be looking at it most of the time.. What's wrong with me?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4614 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 11:14:53 »
Although i enjoy DSA and GMK caps very much i am starting to appreciate OEM a lot more than i should. OEM allows me to get deep in the fingers, type fast and BOTTOM OUT !!!!

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #4615 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 17:37:25 »
If Corsair's spacebar was actually the same size as other mechanical keyboards, I would be more open to owning one of them. And perhaps if they were more open to having other switches besides Cherry in their product, that would also be another plus despite all the talk I've heard about how their software can be difficult to work with. I'm glad companies like Razer have been stepping up, even though I have no need for any of their keyboards at the moment.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4616 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 07:12:04 »
If Corsair's spacebar was actually the same size as other mechanical keyboards, I would be more open to owning one of them. And perhaps if they were more open to having other switches besides Cherry in their product, that would also be another plus despite all the talk I've heard about how their software can be difficult to work with. I'm glad companies like Razer have been stepping up, even though I have no need for any of their keyboards at the moment.

This is far from an unpopular opinion. Most of us agree with this, since if it had a standard bottom row we could change most everything else on the boards.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4617 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 08:31:23 »
Or just with the light forum theme.

Offline Pyotr

« Reply #4618 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 04:24:30 »
@Grim Fandango Sorry I'm a bit late to this party and I didn't think I had an unpopular keyboard opinion but you've just inspired me!

Nobody should ever eat food, even sandwiches, near their keyboard and they certainly shouldn't be typing while eating.

Caveat: It might be permissible if it's just a standard keyboard at work.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4619 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 04:51:33 »
@Grim Fandango Sorry I'm a bit late to this party and I didn't think I had an unpopular keyboard opinion but you've just inspired me!

Nobody should ever eat food, even sandwiches, near their keyboard and they certainly shouldn't be typing while eating.

Caveat: It might be permissible if it's just a standard keyboard at work.
I just cover it with a cloth.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4620 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 07:15:47 »

Dammit corsair give us the standard bottom row

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4621 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 08:50:47 »
Filcos feel and sound better than almost all customs/kustoms, fight me.

Offline mode

« Reply #4622 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 15:19:24 »
I like alps in an aluminium cnc case with metal plate. I don't see what the fuss is about plastic sounding better.

Plastic is louder, it's definitely a bit muted in metal, but I like the sturdiness of it, and it's a tad more sociable to use at work.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4623 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 17:36:36 »

true
I love Elzy

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4624 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 02:00:35 »

The only people who say stuff like this unironically are people who bought a Filco before realizing how much better other keyboards in the market and same price range can be :)

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #4625 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 03:10:31 »
Silent switches are plain better

Offline vegs

« Reply #4626 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 05:04:21 »
Shameless plug
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4627 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 07:38:23 »

The only people who say stuff like this unironically are people who bought a Filco before realizing how much better other keyboards in the market and same price range can be :)

Bought my filco after owning OTD, TGR, TX, and Matrix  :-*
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 07:40:03 by DALExSNAIL »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4628 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 07:44:25 »
There is a special place in hell for people who eat shrimps and aioli at their desks at work in a shared office and leave the leftovers for a few hours...

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4629 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 08:22:07 »

Of course, that's why you're making amusing intentionally facetious statements in Comic Sans :)

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4630 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 08:51:24 »

Of course, that's why you're making amusing intentionally facetious statements in Comic Sans :))

I am not, this was legitimately a non-ironic opinion.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4631 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 10:36:28 »
Customs > Filco

Offline Prelim

« Reply #4632 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 12:26:30 »
Gateron "special edition" switches are just the same shít as KS-3/KS-8/KS-9
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4633 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 13:04:41 »

That's not an opinion. They actually are different because they use different kinds of plastic.
But I see what you mean. Not much difference between them.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4634 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 13:45:41 »
Customs > Filco

Aren't you the one who asked for opinions on the feel of a switch that hasn't been released yet?

:^)

Offline VimLover

« Reply #4635 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 15:41:40 »

I can operate all of the keys in the HHKB fn layer one handed FYI. I often use the arrow keys while using my mouse. I'm left handed though. With a fully programmable keyboard either via the Hasu controller or with the new Hybrid series you can just set it up so that all the layer keys are on one side.

Also, it might be because I play wow where I basically redo keymaps for 12 different classes every 3 months, but I find picking up new layouts really easy. One thing that I think is helpful is to get blank keycaps which forces you to stop thinking of a key as "the a key". It's just another button and it can be whatever you want it to be.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4636 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:32:36 »
Customs > Filco

Aren't you the one who asked for opinions on the feel of a switch that hasn't been released yet?

:^)

Not opinions, exactly. More like questioning if they should be as hyped as they are now.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #4637 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 16:43:36 »

That's not an opinion. They actually are different because they use different kinds of plastic.
But I see what you mean. Not much difference between them.

What special editions are we talking about?

Tangerine, Matcha, etc. are all recolors of the basic clear/red/yellow/black linears.

Inks are different plastic, more like Tealios than the standard linears.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4638 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 01:54:40 »

Of course, that's why you're making amusing intentionally facetious statements in Comic Sans :))

Oh.. well, then I can only question your nervous system. Perhaps your sense of touch was programmed backwards.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4639 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 02:12:51 »
I want a filco again too
I love Elzy

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4640 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 02:31:17 »
I'm not going to weigh in on the Filco thing right now, except to say that mine has proven exceptionally durable. Survived a lack-of-maintenance that would have killed many lesser keyboards. Running 100% now.

Also, someone replaced all their Filco switches with Holy Pandas. I can imagine _that_ Filco feeling and sounding better than most customs!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4641 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 07:19:05 »

Oh.. well, then I can only question your nervous system. Perhaps your sense of touch was programmed backwards.

My opinion is objectively the best opinion, in my opinion.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4642 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 07:21:45 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4643 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 08:36:30 »
So what's supposedly so good about Filcos?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #4644 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 08:56:19 »

name?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4645 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 09:36:37 »

Combination of sound and feel just make it great for me. Silent switches with a good PBT keyset make it sound and feel best for me personally.

Only thing that would improve it for me personally, would be cherry stabs.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4646 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 10:42:08 »

This:

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4647 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 10:52:47 »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4648 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 11:19:45 »

I didn't have a choice about what brand i would get, my grandparents got that keyboard for me. The roughhouse spacebar actually feels great, however i might be screwed if the stablizer breaks.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4649 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 11:28:35 »

I didn't have a choice about what brand i would get, my grandparents got that keyboard for me. The roughhouse spacebar actually feels great, however i might be screwed if the stablizer breaks.

This is the second time you've replied to this. You ok bud?