Author Topic: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!  (Read 117722 times)

Offline Vinnnie

Re: Infinity: A 60% Keyboard Designed by Haata now Available on Massdrop!
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:12:00 »
Can someone help me out a bit? I just got mine from a another user and the dfu utility displays nothing when I try to list devices  :-[

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #351 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 08:33:27 »
Can someone help me out a bit? I just got mine from a another user and the dfu utility displays nothing when I try to list devices  :-[

Similarly, I just got my infinity, going to set up the development environment today, I might help you, however I'm on Mac, so my experiences might not apply to you

Without trying anything yet, after reading the TMK firmware docs, you might need to push the bottom button for the device to appear in that list, are you doing that? (I'm also not sure whether you really need to push the button, or at what stage you need to push it, but it's a good idea to just push it and see what happens, Windows is also extremely irritating, you might need to wait for the driver utils to search for drivers for 30 minutes or so)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline Vinnnie

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:08:08 »
It's so hard to wait :(

HaaTa plx leak the manufacturing status

(Attachment Link)

My keycap sets are ready, switches are ready, anxiously waiting the infinity's
:eek: by any chance do you have another adapter kit?

Offline Vinnnie

« Reply #353 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:11:27 »

Similarly, I just got my infinity, going to set up the development environment today, I might help you, however I'm on Mac, so my experiences might not apply to you

Without trying anything yet, after reading the TMK firmware docs, you might need to push the bottom button for the device to appear in that list, are you doing that? (I'm also not sure whether you really need to push the button, or at what stage you need to push it, but it's a good idea to just push it and see what happens, Windows is also extremely irritating, you might need to wait for the driver utils to search for drivers for 30 minutes or so)

fixed the problem by uninstalling drivers and repeating the process. The layout config provided on massdrop is so broken though. Is there any other way to change the layout that's simple?
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:15:39 by Vinnnie »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 09:24:33 »
I don't :) But everyone is selling their Deep Space's, so they should be easy to find

I decided to use 1u backspace at top, it comes more natural, every set has a 1U Del, it looks beautiful too, creates a perfect contrast with Esc, while 1.5U backspace's hard to find, and even if you happen to find one, the resulting layout is usually hacked and non-aesthetic

The default layout/firmware-state is indeed disturbing, on mac, the keyboard is functional 30 seconds after you connect it, it definitely needs an update :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #355 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 16:53:44 »
As an update, in the end things turned out pretty well, made the firmware work, it's pretty fun, the kll syntax is very practical compared to other alternatives

The steel plate is a beauty, yet since it has openings for switch top removals, it doesn't lock the switches in place well, I guess this is the one shortcoming of the 60% infinity, the soldering/switch placement requires extreme care, if you care about perfect symmetry, I asked for the original owner to ask for a replacement pcb, in case the usb socket decides to give up, and they sent not one but two replacement pcb's (he asked for an address change, they just sent another, as the first one was already dispatched fast) (the original usb-socket was also fixable/securable using crude methods, it seems rigid, but there is obviously no guarantee)

It literally takes 10 seconds to re-compile and re-deploy the firmware, it's pretty easy to create a function layer, send usb system/consumer codes for non-standard stuff

Offline OverKill

« Reply #356 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 18:03:41 »
Hi Everybody,

The new configurator is up and running at http://configurator.input.club. The code will be open sourced (not sure what the time line is) but for now it at least works for basic layouts. If you want to do macro's you will still have to write your own using the KLL.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #357 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 18:49:42 »
Nop, it's already opensourced :P

https://github.com/kiibohd/KiiConf
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:32:10 »
Nop, it's already opensourced :p

https://github.com/kiibohd/KiiConf
`

Is normal to get "error" as part of the firmware file name? For example:

MD1-Standard-60d0a16de3946f21032e20c922b70dbe_error.zip

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:39:43 »
Haha, nope. That means something went wrong (it's on purpose :D ).

Some recent updates were pushed today, I'll try to fix them asap.
The big change with this configurator is that in the zip file there are enough log files to debug the issues.
Kiibohd

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:47:13 »

The big change with this configurator is that in the zip file there are enough log files to debug the issues.

I just got errors then, should I post the files I got, or is it a "normal" error anyone gets?

Offline whtvr

« Reply #361 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 08:13:51 »
Hi,

total noob here. I have only a Poker II so far, and after deciding to buy another Poker keyboard (so I don't have to carry it several times a day from computer A to computer B) I stumbled upon this project. If I'm getting this right Infinity has following advantages over Poker:
  * Since it's DIY-friendly it would be easily possible to change switches at a later point, so there is no need to buy a whole new keyboard as you would have to with Poker. I'm much interested in such sustainability, I don't want to have 5 Pokers with 5 different switch-styles in 5 years while finding my preferred switches. However I'm not sure if it's actually possible to buy only switches somewhere in Germany/Europe(?), so it might be only a theoretical advantage.
  * Since the programming capabilities are only limited by RAM you wouldn't need to buy Poker 3, Poker 4, Poker 5 and so on to gain new programming features. In case the RAM limits will ever be reached: would it be possible to upgrade RAM with Infinity keyboard, or would you have to buy a new PCB?
  * Since the Infinity Keyboard is 100% OpenSource(?) and 100% Open Hardware Design(?) there will be no artificial limits which forces me to buy a newer model.

On the downside, from the much subjective germans perspective:
  * There is only ANSI-Layout, ISO is not planned(?). I'm not sure if I actually prefer ISO-Layout, I never used ANSI - but I can imagine how it could be annoying to switch between keyboards/layouts when I'm not at home.
  * Germanys customs offices are a pain in the ass. In case the package was not rightly declared you might have to wait for hours and have to pay high fees.

Besides from that, it seems pretty much perfect. Of course I would need to buy a newer PCB when Infinity gets LED support. In the long-term goal it would be great for me to have different colors signaling different layers and indicating key combinations. Is this already planned?

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #362 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 08:57:07 »
  * Since it's DIY-friendly it would be easily possible to change switches at a later point, so there is no need to buy a whole new keyboard as you would have to with Poker. I'm much interested in such sustainability, I don't want to have 5 Pokers with 5 different switch-styles in 5 years while finding my preferred switches.
Nothing as DIY friendly as that. Reworking a whole keyboard is not something I'd describe as "friendly" in any way, especially if you don't have a reworking / desoldering station. (Not the same as a soldering station.)

However I'm not sure if it's actually possible to buy only switches somewhere in Germany/Europe(?), so it might be only a theoretical advantage.
Cherry is based in Germany. Their manufacturing capacity is in Germany. I'd be super surprised. Check with electronics parts retailers.
Also, WASD ships worldwide, but why pay potentially customs on something that's made in Germany...

* Since the programming capabilities are only limited by RAM you wouldn't need to buy Poker 3, Poker 4, Poker 5 and so on to gain new programming features. In case the RAM limits will ever be reached: would it be possible to upgrade RAM with Infinity keyboard, or would you have to buy a new PCB?
RAM on a microcontroller is integrated in the microcontroller chip, and thus not expansible at all. (A microcontroller can be programmed to use some of its pins as a RAM bus, but this is beyond the scope of "expanding memory" and becomes an exercise in "building a computer architecture" - fun in its own right, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #363 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 09:02:54 »

The new configurator, as the former one, only generates errors in the files.

Offline whtvr

« Reply #364 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:49:30 »
Hi Sigmoid,

thanks for your answers.

Cherry is based in Germany. Their manufacturing capacity is in Germany. I'd be super surprised. Check with electronics parts retailers.
Also, WASD ships worldwide, but why pay potentially customs on something that's made in Germany...

I guess they fail to see the market, as a private customer you only get datasheets from the switches - seems like it is needed to be a company and/or have to order at least 1000 switches. Farnell, RS etc. also don't sell to private customers in germany, and the usual german electronic parts sellers (Reichelt, Conrad) don't sell Cherry switches. So... thanks for the wasdkeyboards.com link, it was totally unclear to me if it's ever possible to get spare parts. Importing from US is still a lot of hassle, though - and of course it's much more painful when it is even a german product :)

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #365 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:52:24 »
I guess they fail to see the market, as a private customer you only get datasheets from the switches - seems like it is needed to be a company and/or have to order at least 1000 switches. Farnell, RS etc. also don't sell to private customers in germany, and the usual german electronic parts sellers (Reichelt, Conrad) don't sell Cherry switches.

http://www.mouser.de/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=cherry+mx

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 12:20:01 »
0.8€/switch? lol. 7bit FTW!

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 13:45:13 »
Hi Sigmoid,

thanks for your answers.

I guess they fail to see the market, as a private customer you only get datasheets from the switches - seems like it is needed to be a company and/or have to order at least 1000 switches. Farnell, RS etc. also don't sell to private customers in germany, and the usual german electronic parts sellers (Reichelt, Conrad) don't sell Cherry switches. So... thanks for the wasdkeyboards.com link, it was totally unclear to me if it's ever possible to get spare parts. Importing from US is still a lot of hassle, though - and of course it's much more painful when it is even a german product :)

Hey whtvr!  :)

It's true that Cherry switches aren't as easy to buy as spare parts here in Germany as one might think.

However it's not entirely true, that electronic part sellers like Conrad don't sell them.
If you search for 'Cherry mx1a' for example  it will at least come up with clears, and blacks but I haven't really been able to find others either tbh.

Other possible sources I found would be:

-> digitalo.de
-> Voelkner.de
-> Smdv

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #368 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 01:52:03 »
FYI, I just fixed most of the errors in the configurator.
There is at least one outstanding issue though.
Kiibohd

Offline vvp

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:13:47 »
I guess they fail to see the market, as a private customer you only get datasheets from the switches - seems like it is needed to be a company and/or have to order at least 1000 switches. Farnell, RS etc. also don't sell to private customers in germany, and the usual german electronic parts sellers (Reichelt, Conrad) don't sell Cherry switches.
You can get Cherry MX switches from 7bit on deskthority. He is in EU and I bet he will ship to Germany and he has better prices than e.g. mouser below.

The switches are also on eu.mouser.com: http://eu.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=cherry+mx

Are you sure Farnell does not sell to private customers in Germany? Because it sure sells to private customers in Slovakia (another EU country). Though Farnell stocks only Cherry MX Blacks. So it is not that interesting anyway. But the price for them is not bad (Edit: it was below 0.5€ per switch when a friend bought there).
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 04:17:26 by vvp »

« Reply #370 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 06:21:05 »
There is at least one outstanding issue though.
Pray tell...

Offline OverKill

« Reply #371 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 11:41:50 »
Hi everybody,

Another update, Infinity 60% is back up on MassDrop. They are no longer offering the bent metal case but your choice of white, clear, or black plastic injection molded case (same style as a poker case). MassDrop is also offering pre-assembly of the switch plate now for an extra $25 I believe. That means no soldering for everybody who just wants to put the thing together and type away.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #372 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:43:48 »
wow I am in. There are just too many options, I am going to have to mull it over before signing up.

The "hacker" vs "standard" options... what does that actually change?
It looks like the PCBs are the same.. do they just ship different keycaps?

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #373 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 13:45:36 »
Different keycaps, and a different plate.
Kiibohd

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #374 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 14:46:03 »
Hi everybody,

Another update, Infinity 60% is back up on MassDrop. They are no longer offering the bent metal case but your choice of white, clear, or black plastic injection molded case (same style as a poker case). MassDrop is also offering pre-assembly of the switch plate now for an extra $25 I believe. That means no soldering for everybody who just wants to put the thing together and type away.
Now I really cant say no.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #375 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 14:59:11 »
Anyone know where to get Matias keycaps outside of this drop? I'd love to have non-blanks if I get Matias switches.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline whtvr

« Reply #376 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 15:22:17 »
Thanks for all answers :)

Sorry for not responding earlier, I had to do some other things after reading countless hours about ANSI vs. ISO, different keyboard layouts, different switches and so on. Initially I just wanted to buy another Poker2,  ...

@FoC_Town: I'm glad (and surprised!) that you found some on Conrad with "cherry mx1a", I tried "cherry mx" but got only full staffed keyboards as result. Not a great choice, though. Mouser&Digikey (yes, I realized that Digikey also sells them) seems best for me for german residents. I cannot speak for Mouser, but I recently ordered at Digikey (damn, I should have ordered every common MX switch for testing!) and didn't need to go to customs office.

Are you sure Farnell does not sell to private customers in Germany?

Yes, they only did once while selling Raspberry Pi (or was it RS Components? they both don't sell to private customers in Germany). Of course, there are some exceptions, like being a student (but you would have to proof that). There is only a Farnell-reseller for private customers in Germany (hbe-shop.de), but they don't sell all articles, so Farnell+RS is something I usually avoid.

While reading about ANSI vs ISO, I realized that Infinity Keyboard is actually not a typical ANSI keyboard, too (besides from the ANSI enter key). So I decided that I wouldn't need to wait for a ISO variant (ISO enter key), I think the layout is actually very clever and I like it very much, although I'm fearing that it will be hard to use other keyboards with ISO enter, like my Poker2, again. However, it is back on Massdrop so I might be in luck! :)

Offline Hzza

« Reply #377 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:02:15 »
Is there any chance of getting the cases separately? I'd quite like to pick up a clear one for an upcoming project...

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #378 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 18:16:34 »
Anyone know where to get Matias keycaps outside of this drop? I'd love to have non-blanks if I get Matias switches.
I ordered a set of white PBT with black dye sub legends direct from Matias. It's not listed on their site but if you contact them and ask they will get you squared away.

And then I encourage you to join the group buy for teal modifiers from SP here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70817.0

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #379 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 19:06:13 »
I ordered a set of white PBT with black dye sub legends direct from Matias. It's not listed on their site but if you contact them and ask they will get you squared away.

And then I encourage you to join the group buy for teal modifiers from SP here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70817.0

I didn't know they finished their PBT tooling yet. Interesting...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:29:04 »

Now that you made me second-guess myself, I am not sure whether they're ABS or PBT. But according to the Matias website they are laser-etched, not dye-sublimated, so I misspoke possibly on both counts.

I honestly haven't looked to closely at them because I bought them for the Infinity which hasn't arrived yet. They are in a box on a shelf at the office. But I had planned from the get-go to replace the modifiers with teal from the group buy.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #381 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 22:07:22 »

Now that you made me second-guess myself, I am not sure whether they're ABS or PBT. But according to the Matias website they are laser-etched, not dye-sublimated, so I misspoke possibly on both counts.

I honestly haven't looked to closely at them because I bought them for the Infinity which hasn't arrived yet. They are in a box on a shelf at the office. But I had planned from the get-go to replace the modifiers with teal from the group buy.

Okay thanks. I'm still not totally sure what I'm going to do yet. I joined the Delta Blues GB awhile back but that one fell through. I'll be watching the new IC carefully.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #382 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 23:06:14 »
Hmm.  I would love just the keycaps from an alps board :(.  They are taunting me

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #383 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 07:08:01 »

Okay thanks. I'm still not totally sure what I'm going to do yet. I joined the Delta Blues GB awhile back but that one fell through. I'll be watching the new IC carefully.
Actually it's past the IC phase and the GB is running. I pasted the link earlier but it might have gotten buried: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=70817.0

My boards:
More

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #384 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 07:35:46 »
Thanks for posting this as I was going to start my own thread on this drop and the board. I'm most concerned about the feel. I think it comes with a metal plate and have heard differing opinions on the board from people who have built it. Right now if I wait till its lowest price point for a board without caps or switches and the frosted case option it will be about $115.00 I have MX clears and gat blacks to try as well as springs and stabs from sprit. I also would like to add LEDs and I am not sure if the PCB is compatible with them. Another lesser concern is the programmability . As long as I can make a few small personal preference changes and supports LEDs I think it will be a nice cheap option for a beginner build. I missed out last time it was available and I am wondering if it is worth picking it up!

So for current infinity owners how do you like the feel of the boards? This is aimed at people with both plastic and metal/aluminum cases. Was this easy to solder (well/thought out) ? Are you happy with your completed boards and what they cost?
Any help and or opinions and feedback on your own experiences would be great !
Thanks guys and gals  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 09:01:27 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline OverKill

« Reply #385 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 10:01:54 »
Thanks for posting this as I was going to start my own thread on this drop and the board. I'm most concerned about the feel. I think it comes with a metal plate and have heard differing opinions on the board from people who have built it. Right now if I wait till its lowest price point for a board without caps or switches and the frosted case option it will be about $115.00 I have MX clears and gat blacks to try as well as springs and stabs from sprit. I also would like to add LEDs and I am not sure if the PCB is compatible with them. Another lesser concern is the programmability . As long as I can make a few small personal preference changes and supports LEDs I think it will be a nice cheap option for a beginner build. I missed out last time it was available and I am wondering if it is worth picking it up!

So for current infinity owners how do you like the feel of the boards? This is aimed at people with both plastic and metal/aluminum cases. Was this easy to solder (well/thought out) ? Are you happy with your completed boards and what they cost?

In regards to backlighting, on Infinity 60% there is none.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #386 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 10:19:45 »

In regards to backlighting, on Infinity 60% there is none.
does the PCB have holes to add LEDs ?
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
« Reply #387 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 10:24:00 »
It does not.
Kiibohd

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #388 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 12:10:25 »
This is probably a longshot, but would the PCB fit SMK switches? I'm in the drop regardless, but just curious about this.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #389 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 12:33:42 »
This is probably a longshot, but would the PCB fit SMK switches? I'm in the drop regardless, but just curious about this.
Nope, sorry. Cherry MX and standard Alps pin spacing only.

My boards:
More

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #390 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 17:41:26 »
I have 5 infinities (1 v1, 4 v2 on the way-ish), I'm tempted to add 2 more just for the plastic cases, I love those plastic cases, would be great to have one of clear/black's, but I should obviously stop

The only remaining issue I have with the infinity is the plate symmetry, as it's something I can't easily solve, inside the vortex silver aluminium case, the V1 plate+pcb isn't centered, it's much more closer to the right side, and there is no safe wiggle space, as the usb is perfectly aligned in this placement

Comparatively, the plastic cases mask the plate, so such issues would be suppressed

While on flush 60% cases, any alignment/elevation differences stand out

Edit: the drop3 is very premature, the drop2 hasn't completely launched yet, there are spacebar issues reported again, they also shipped an order I bought from another massdrop user to his original address, it was their mistake, they don't reply to support emails/tickets fast, massdrop is really on my nerves lately, they are extremely greedy
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 17:48:16 by KHAANNN »

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #391 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:45:55 »
I have 5 infinities (1 v1, 4 v2 on the way-ish), I'm tempted to add 2 more just for the plastic cases, I love those plastic cases, would be great to have one of clear/black's, but I should obviously stop

The only remaining issue I have with the infinity is the plate symmetry, as it's something I can't easily solve, inside the vortex silver aluminium case, the V1 plate+pcb isn't centered, it's much more closer to the right side, and there is no safe wiggle space, as the usb is perfectly aligned in this placement

Comparatively, the plastic cases mask the plate, so such issues would be suppressed

Edit: the drop3 is very premature, the drop2 hasn't completely launched yet, there are spacebar issues reported again, they also shipped an order I bought from another massdrop user to his original address, it was their mistake, they don't reply to support emails/tickets fast, massdrop is really on my nerves lately, they are extremely greedy
What were the previous spacebar issues?

Also, do you think version 2 or 3 fixed the pcb alignment issues?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #392 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:50:28 »

I don't think the alignment issue is probably anything most people need to worry about. We've already established that KHAANNN notices things nobody else notices. He's like the Adrian Monk of keyboards.

My boards:
More

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #393 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:56:56 »

They keep mixing the 6u/6.25u/cherry/matias spacebars

the v2 fixes the diode alignment issues, which is crucial, 2 v1 diodes break in vortex metal cases

I don't think either v2 or v3 has plate improvements tho, the latest issue I mentioned is probably related to the usb placement on the pcb, the usb port determines how the plate/pcb is aligned on the case, otherwise it could move freely

This issue might as well be an issue of the vortex metal case, but I'm guessing it's not, I will know for sure when I receive the Tex cases and the black vortex case

Apart from this issue, the silver vortex aluminium case is an incredible match for the infinity plate, silver alu + steel plate matches perfectly, yet the right gap kind of ruins it, you can see the bottom of the case

I will try to push the plate/pcb to the left a bit the next time I open the case, but it could stress the usb connector further

I really like the infinity keyboard overall, I like the firmware, I don't like the plate too much, the switch tops are prone to get removed during keycap removal, it's a beautiful project, yet it might be more logical to just buy the nerd60 and the nerd universal plate, massdrop is just too much drama, the wait is excruciating, the layout is confusing at first, but I got used to the 1u del at top pretty fast, like in an hour

Keep these in mind :)

Edit: Thanks njbair for the vote of confidence :) - Indeed these are edge issues, but if you care about details, any of these issues might bother you
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 18:58:29 by KHAANNN »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #394 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:36:45 »

Edit: Thanks njbair for the vote of confidence :) - Indeed these are edge issues, but if you care about details, any of these issues might bother you

No offense intended, friend. Everyone's got their thing.

My boards:
More

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #395 on: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:44:47 »
Here is my beauty:
100963-0

It's a second hand V1 I bought to assess what I'm getting into, the switches were crooked, some soldered without even latching the switches, the usb was broken, de-soldered it, fixed the usb port, put on pcb-mount switches, removed several parts of the case to fix the diode issues, closed and re-opened/dremelled the case like 10 times until everything worked, put on mainly Eve keycap set at first, the keycap distances were uneven, as I pointed out to at a reddit/imgur photo before, turned out the Eve set was a rush print of signature plastics, filled with issues, put on the Dolch set, with Wyse Blue return and Eve 1u Delete, I bought it as a placeholder/experimental keyboard, but it quickly became a main keyboard
(The case is a newly bought Vortex Aluminium case, to make things worse it's screws were missing, luckily I found 6 screws that are compatible, the 6th hole of the plate isn't drilled)

When the new batch arrives, I intend to use a Dolch DSA with the blue Eve Esc/Enter, it will be my endgame keyboard, couldn't decide on the case yet tho

------

The rightmost modifiers + Control are arrows, that's what I like about the layout, the Caps Lock has the function layer, with mainly media/volume/brightness controls, compiled from the firmware project, the F12 is a shift, luckily I don't use the right shift, so the layout works pretty well
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2015, 19:50:00 by KHAANNN »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #396 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 11:37:59 »
By the way, the replacement PCB massdrop is sending also seems to be Rev 1.01b, I also have a 1.01b, it's the pcb that I requested a replacements for, does this mean that PCB will also have the same diode placements that press on 60% cases? (I requested photos from Shipito, the Rev version is visible, yet the diode placements are not, haven't received it myself yet)

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #397 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:20:50 »
By the way, the replacement PCB massdrop is sending also seems to be Rev 1.01b, I also have a 1.01b, it's the pcb that I requested a replacements for, does this mean that PCB will also have the same diode placements that press on 60% cases? (I requested photos from Shipito, the Rev version is visible, yet the diode placements are not, haven't received it myself yet)
As someone who has so many infinities, should I get one? Are there any issues besides the symmetry issue you mentioned?

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #398 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:46:15 »
As someone who has so many infinities, should I get one? Are there any issues besides the symmetry issue you mentioned?

I have one, and 4 on the way, I intended to build them with different switches, but I settled on clears, going to gift one to my brother and one to a friend, build one with clears and the other with linears (abandoned clicky switches all together)

The one I have, definitely does what I want, so go ahead and buy one if you're ok with waiting 2+ months and the non-flexible layout, all keyboard have their issues, the only alternative I can see personally is to either buy the nerd60/pcb/plate or buy a flexible PCB like spirit's and get a plate manufactured, the nerd one is the easiest and shortest path, the most flexible one too

I would also strongly suggest you seek unbuilt infinities to buy, right now, a mechmarket/classifieds post might help you buy one fast

The nerd60's plate is better for the most part, it only supports pcb-mount cherry stabs, while the infinity one supports both, but the nerd60 plate locks switches in place well, while the infinity plate doesn't lock switch tops well, to support alps switches too, so everytime you're pulling of a keycap, you have to be extra gentle, otherwise the switch top might come off, the usb-port also has no pcb-support, it's just a surface mount usb-port

TL;DR: None of these are really strong issues, at 99$'s, definitely buy one, worst case scenario, you can sell it if you don't like it, consider the immediate buying options too :)

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #399 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 12:49:33 »

I have one, and 4 on the way, I intended to build them with different switches, but I settled on clears, going to gift one to my brother and one to a friend, build one with clears and the other with linears (abandoned clicky switches all together)

The one I have, definitely does what I want, so go ahead and buy one if you're ok with waiting 2+ months and the non-flexible layout, all keyboard have their issues, the only alternative I can see personally is to either buy the nerd60/pcb/plate or buy a flexible PCB like spirit's and get a plate manufactured, the nerd one is the easiest and shortest path, the most flexible one too

I would also strongly suggest you seek unbuilt infinities to buy, right now, a mechmarket/classifieds post might help you buy one fast

The nerd60's plate is better for the most part, it only supports pcb-mount cherry stabs, while the infinity one supports both, but the nerd60 plate locks switches in place well, while the infinity plate doesn't lock switch tops well, to support alps switches too, so everytime you're pulling of a keycap, you have to be extra gentle, otherwise the switch top might come off, the usb-port also has no pcb-support, it's just a surface mount usb-port

TL;DR: None of these are really strong issues, at 99$'s, definitely buy one, worst case scenario, you can sell it if you don't like it, consider the immediate buying options too :)
If I manage to sell my ErgoDox this is what the money will go towards to. I am definitely looking for a 60% that is fully programmable and I have been considering both the Nerd60 and the Infinity.
If I were to buy an unbuilt kit, presumably I would be getting a previous pcb revision, is there a drawback to this?