Author Topic: Rit dye ABS  (Read 14856 times)

Offline RougeR

Rit dye ABS
« on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:08:36 »
Up untill now i had always been told that you could only dye pbt and that it would not work with abs. anyway i found this video

showing white abs being rit dyed black. was thinking of doin it to a certain keyboard but would likely test it on something like a model m2 first.

i wonder if any other colours would work, i may experiment.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:12:22 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Rit dye ABS
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 11:31:16 »
Please keep us posted.

This could be a big deal if 25% acetone is truly "safe" for ABS dyeing!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 11:32:14 »
Sounds sketchy to me... keep us posted.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 01:16:26 »
going to try dying a model m2 black when i get it. will keep posted.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:15:46 »
NECROBUMP.

Any update on whether this worked?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:27:47 »
25% acetone will melt abs, period. abs + ketones = depolymerization. you might be able to get some dye into the spaces left as the polymer degrades, but it's not a good way to dye abs. the best way to do this is just to get the abs in the color you want in the first place. that is, use my damned printer nubs (!!).

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 August 2013, 23:29:14 »
Not everything can be printed ming.  I'm still trying to find some good ways to dye certain plastics.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 00:03:27 »
i'm not entirely sure, but i think you have to mix dye into abs when it's in a liquid state.

i am working on an acetone vapor pressure smoothing station that might be able to do what you want, but it works by depolymerizing a (hopefully very thin) layer of abs at the surface of the object (eg, a printed object with filament striations). basically, you'll substantially change the cap, which is not what you want. with pbt you can sublimate the dye into the polymer structure, but it's not clear to me how to do that with abs...

there are low temp sublimation dyes, but i'm not sure if there's anything that's low enough to hit abs's glass transition @ 100C...

blj is probably the person to ask about this.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 18:06:47 »
There are people on this board that have dyed ABS with RIT dye, the same way that you would dye PBT.

The problem is in controlling the temperature, as ABS deforms at a much lower heat than PBT and the dye won't work if the heat is not high enough.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:21:01 »
There are people on this board that have dyed ABS with RIT dye, the same way that you would dye PBT.

The problem is in controlling the temperature, as ABS deforms at a much lower heat than PBT and the dye won't work if the heat is not high enough.

I have tried several times, with very limited success. Accent on the word "very" .... there have been a few.

I think that the activation temperature and the softening temperatures (180-190F / 80/90C) are almost exactly the same, and it is all but impossible to strike just the right point on that sliding scale.

PBT works great because you can just boil away as long as you like and not worry.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"