Author Topic: Keycap Interest Check: Calling all Ubuntu Users with Cherry MX keyboards  (Read 12429 times)

Offline Babbylar

In the past, I would go out of my way to buy keyboards that didn't have a windows key on purpose. I was primarily a Mac advocate so this ended up being lots of Apple keyboards for me. However, now that Ubuntu is my OS of choice and ever since Ubuntu 11.04 switched to their Unity interface, I find that the super key is much more useful to me than before. Now I use it all the time to activate the Unity dash and for various other keyboard shortcuts.

Now that I have a standard keyboard with Cherry MX switches as my daily driver, I have become interested in custom keycaps for them. I was originally thinking of getting a different coloured WASD cluster for my FPS gaming habits, But recently I have turned my attention to the "domed" super key. I think I speak for most Ubuntu users when I say, "I am way sick of seeing damn msft logos on my keyboard!"

I noticed that wasdkeyboards has created the option to buy custom keycaps with custom artwork on them. Which got me thinking about replacing my 2 super keys with Ubuntu branded ones.

What the logo looks like on White, Orange and Black backgrounds. I am only interested in the white circle of friends portion since the background colour will be the colour of the keycap. (logo #2 and 4)

these two keys need to be replaced!

The product page for custom art keycaps at wasdkeyboards is here:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/custom-keycap.html

R1 1x1.25 "Domed" +$0.25   ($10.25 for 1)
    Buy 2 for $7.50 each and save 25%
    Buy 3 for $6.00 each and save 40%
    Buy 5 for $5.00 each and save 50%
    Buy 10 for $3.50 each and save 65%
    Buy 25 for $2.00 each and save 80%
    Buy 50 for $1.50 each and save 85%

I was wondering how much interest there would be for what I have in mind.  Specifically I was thinking of the 1.25 "domed" key with a white Ubuntu circle of friends logo in the middle of it. For added uniqueness/fun I was thinking of getting the keycaps in orange since that is the main colour of the Ubuntu logo (although black keycaps are perfectly acceptable as well). I don't have the experience necessary to organise a group buy or anything, but I do know that if there is enough group interest for this, we could get some nice cheap replacement keys. If the price is right, I could see myself needing between 2 and 10. Let me know what you guys think.
Daily Driver: Leopold FC500R (Cherry Red)
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)

Offline pat

Keycap Interest Check: Calling all Ubuntu Users with Cherry MX keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 00:57:20 »
Good idea, I'd buy some :)

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 11:28:17 »
I would have to say once you have grown out of Ubuntu though you realize just how powerful a stable highly customizable distribution like Debian is though. So personally I would love to see some Debian Super keys

But because I know the community of linux user use all sorts of operating systems I would think to reach the most users perhaps instead you should go with a more widely acknowledged symbol of linux?

Also forgot to mention, these are currently offered at keyboardco
Ubuntu Super key. http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=862
Tux Super key. http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=903
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2011, 11:30:44 by bloodygood »
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 11:35:45 »
I might be interested.

I would prefer a black key, orange outer circle, white inner circle.

The penguin is very nice, but needs yellow to look right.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sordna

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:10:50 »
We should probably ask WASD to add Ubuntu and penguin keycaps as standard items in his Novelty Keycaps product page, I imagine they will sell well.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

fossala

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:20:26 »
Quote from: fossala;464555
TheKeyboardCo sells both tux and ubuntu key caps, here are the links.
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=862
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=903
You do know I posted both of those 3 posts ago right?

i personally like the Meta diamond also Ripster, a very subtle idea used by HHKB very commonly.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

fossala

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:26:27 »
Quote from: bloodygood;464558
You do know I posted both of those 3 posts ago right?

i personally like the Meta diamond also Ripster, a very subtle idea used by HHKB very commonly.

Sorry missed that, I'm not very well. The only reason I am on the PC is that I have Uni work due soon. Will keep quite till I can think strait.

Offline sordna

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 12:32:35 »
Quote from: fossala;464555
TheKeyboardCo sells both tux and ubuntu key caps, here are the links.
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=862
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=903

I know, no need to repeat, these links were posted only 3 posts earlier!
Keyboardco is in the UK and their keycaps are more expensive that WASD, and they don't have the wide keycap color options WASD has.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Zwi

• hi.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 18:34:12 »
Count me in for anything Ubuntu/Linux related (although I'm not a big fan of the tux keys)

Offline slueth

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 18:46:14 »
I use Ubuntu but that unity crap is horrible.  I don't see the pluses of it at all. It was meant for pc with touchscreens not as a desktop replacement for gnome.  I went back to gnome classic or gnome-shell and am a happy camper.  Is there a way we could do doubleshots or pbt keys I prefer signature plastic.  Cost would go up but if we could get a lot of people in it it won't be substantial.

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 18:52:41 »
+1 for devian
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 20:33:52 »
I might be in for debian/ubuntu, though I'm on Fedora now (Suse didn't work out :( ) and I'll be switching to crunchbang soon (which s now debian based)-

Zwi: you might be interested in the glider keycap in 7bit's round4.

Offline Zwi

• hi.
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 December 2011, 23:59:59 »
Quote from: dorkvader;464899
I might be in for debian/ubuntu, though I'm on Fedora now (Suse didn't work out :( ) and I'll be switching to crunchbang soon (which s now debian based)-

Zwi: you might be interested in the glider keycap in 7bit's round4.

Nice, I never heard of the glider emblem before but after 20 minutes of reading I now have myself two new keycaps :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 December 2011, 10:07:12 »
See, I thought you'd be interested. I'm glad you read the page, I usually link it.
I will almost have enough for an entire alphabet's worth soon.

Will it be possible to get the debian symbol in dyesub PBT? I know some of the portal caps are really detailed, since since it's on a light colour anyway, (and because SP's PBT is super awesome) I think we could do that.

Offline Babbylar

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 December 2011, 04:18:25 »
Quote from: Zwi;464809
Count me in for anything Ubuntu/Linux related (although I'm not a big fan of the tux keys)

Agreed. To me Linux is just a kernel and of little use to me on its own since I'm no kernel developer. Tux is a (cute) distraction from marketing a free OS like Ubuntu (Debian, Linux Mint, OpenSUSE or whatever distro). The folks at Google were wise to distance the Android brand from Linux (with an alternatively cute green droid).

Quote from: slueth;464812
I use Ubuntu but that unity crap is horrible.  I don't see the pluses of it at all. It was meant for pc with touchscreens not as a desktop replacement for gnome.  I went back to gnome classic or gnome-shell and am a happy camper.  Is there a way we could do doubleshots or pbt keys I prefer signature plastic.  Cost would go up but if we could get a lot of people in it it won't be substantial.

The Unity interface is the spiritual successor of the interface work that was being done on the Ubuntu Netbook Remix projects dating back to sometime in between version 8.10 and 9.04. It was always pretty rough, but I can say Unity is the best interface of all the netbook remix ones. If Unity was being designed for touchscreens in mind, I would say they made some schoolboy errors. Example: when your app (Firefox) is full screen, try to bring up the Unity menu on the left with your finger. Oh wait, its hidden. Time to bring out the super key or equivalent (hence why I want new super keys). Ubuntu 11.04 was the first version to ship with Unity as default and while I wouldn't go as far as to call it crap, I feel that it was a beta quality interface. Now that they are on version 11.10 they fixed some of the issues and I'm liking the interface a lot more. I am certain that by the 12.04 LTS release due in April, it will be a finished interface. Beyond that, they will continue to improve it until the time does come for Ubuntu to be widespread on touch devices like tablets and phones (2 more years).

As for doubleshots or PBT keys, if the interest is there count me in. I just picked wasdkeyboards since I live close to them.
Daily Driver: Leopold FC500R (Cherry Red)
Other Keyboards: Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS), Kinesis Contoured Essential (MX Brown), Keytronic LT Designer (Dome)
Previously Owned Keyboards: IBM Model M Spacesaver (BS), Compaq MX 11800 (MX Brown), TECHcessories Dinokidz (ALPS), Apple Aluminium Keyboard (Scissor)
Wishlist: Ducky (MX Black), IBM M13 (BS), Cherry G80-8200 (MX Clear), KBT Pure (MX Blue), Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition (MX Brown)