Author Topic: Task chair Recommendations  (Read 25962 times)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Task chair Recommendations
« on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 13:08:02 »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for recommendations for a task chair to bring to my dorm next semester. I bought this last semester and didn't like it at all. The seating wasnt very confortable because the middle/front part of the seat sort of rides up on my crotch if i recline or slouch just a little. Then the mesh back wasn't comfortable either. Maybe it was the way I was sitting... or maybe my back doesnt like hard surfaces. Either way, my back would start hurting after sitting on that chair for a few hours.

I also bought the mesh chair from the container store. It's okay, but it has no upper back support so my upper back hurts after sitting on it for a while. I'm thinking about returning it, thankfully the container store has a 120 day return policy

Then i bought this chair.  What i dont like about the chair is that i'm CONSTANTLY sliding down on the chair, and it's just really way too big for me. The arm rests also get in the way all the time. Still have about 3 weeks or so to return this.

My current chair that I'm using at home was given to me by my uncle. It is a chair from Jansko Collection. I've tried looking up the company and the chair, but couldnt find any results because this chair is apparently ancient. It's very comfortable though, and I wish i could get another one of these for my dorm. The only problem I have with it is that the arm rests get slightly uncomfortable for my elbow after a really long sitting session, but that doesnt bother me very much.

So here's what I'm looking for:

Something appropriate for 5'7" ~125lbs
Optional, width/height adjustable arm rests
Seat height/depth adjustable
A chair that will comfortable allow me to slouch, sit up straight, or just recline normally.
Lumbar support - I've never really had a chair with this, so i'm not sure how it'll actually feel. But if it makes my back more comfortable, then im all for it.
Preference against mesh - Maybe my back hates mesh, but it doesn't seem to work too well for me. I'll consider it if i can try it out at a store.

Right now i'm considering the Leapcase Amia, which can be had for about $450 new, without the arm rests. I'm gonna go to a store to try them out sometime this weekend, as well as the other leapcase chairs and some herman millers.

Suggestions made other others:
Herman Millers

Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep my budget below $500 if possible, and I don't have a car so i can't do any pickups.

Bought the steelcase Amia, I'll make an appropiate thread in the ergonomics subforum.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2012, 14:02:37 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Djuzuh

Task chair recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 13:14:55 »
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Or if used chairs don't bother you, you can buy a used high end one.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 13:26:47 »
Hmm mesh back... are you using the chair right now? How is it?
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 13:31:22 »
I know a friend who highly recommanded it.

I don't have enough budget and roomspace yet to buy me a higher tier computer chair :(.

But if you can find a used herman miller or leap at a decent price, it's a good idea too.

But I think the ikea chair is the best new chair option.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2012, 13:34:37 by Djuzuh »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 14:45:33 »
i can only recommend upper tier chairs that start at 500, not to be snobish, but those are the kind that i can live with (and have), so far i've been rocking an ergohuman chair for almost 4 years, and i find it a solid investment of 600ish and expect it to perform for 3x as long. I'd also recommend a herman millar chair too but those are lots of money to consider as well, (i actually have a herman millar chair just sitting on my porch, it's got dust and is sun damaged but still works great)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 14:48:50 »
Quote from: Lanx;598582
i can only recommend upper tier chairs that start at 500, not to be snobish, but those are the kind that i can live with (and have), so far i've been rocking an ergohuman chair for almost 4 years, and i find it a solid investment of 600ish and expect it to perform for 3x as long. I'd also recommend a herman millar chair too but those are lots of money to consider as well, (i actually have a herman millar chair just sitting on my porch, it's got dust and is sun damaged but still works great)

I know what you mean lol. The chair im currently using retailed for about $500 when my uncle first bought it maybe 15-20 years ago.

Hmm this chair from the container store looks interested. I've actually seen it in person at the store but i've never sat in it. Guess i'll have to go down there one day when I make a delivery to a GH user here.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/componentDesks/deskChairs?productId=10022641&N=77273

The link doesnt seem to be working, but it is a Container Store Bungee Office Chair.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 15:45:19 »
This thread makes me miss my ergohuman :(...

Not saying the ergohuman is a perfect chair but it is very good.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 16:36:09 »
Quote from: stingrae;598623
This thread makes me miss my ergohuman :(...

Not saying the ergohuman is a perfect chair but it is very good.

What happened to it? What are you using right now?

Offline stingrae

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 16:57:37 »
Quote from: thegunner100;598651
What happened to it? What are you using right now?

In England, where I am not.

I am using a thing designed for making sitting on the grass and watching the Cricket better on a normal wood chair with some cushions. Gives moderate back support so I can't complain and is a ton better than sitting on just a normal chair...
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline Occi

• http://www.thevoid.no
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 05:21:19 »
Quote from: thegunner100;598515
Hi everyone, I'm looking for recommendations for a task chair to bring to my dorm next semester. I bought this Leather seat/back
Have you used a leather chair before? Warning; they tend to give a sweaty ass if it's hot. Not that charming.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 06:26:19 »
I used a leather chair at work for a few years before I realized that the Aeron sitting next to me was THAT much better. It's a little more complicated than I usually care for, but I will never buy a non mesh office chair for work again.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 09:04:06 »
no joke my friend, a little overweight and leather work chair = he amassed a cyst in between his thighs, they removed it and it was like a softball sized hole that stank, doctor said probably because he was sitting so long on a chair everyday and he didn't have a mesh chair that let air circulate.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 09:12:45 »
I've pretty much been sitting in this leather chair for the last 5 years of my life. My ass does get pretty hot sometimes, but i guess i should mention that i'm 5'7 and 130lbs. I think I would be alright with a mesh chair, but the first one that i bought was just so uncomfortable for me.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 10:01:48 »
oh yea, you can't be "all naturale" with a mesh chair, i mean you'd look like you've been through a cheese grater.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 10:03:16 »
Quote from: Lanx;599119
oh yea, you can't be "all naturale" with a mesh chair, i mean you'd look like you've been through a cheese grater.

I guess that rules out mesh chairs! xD

jkjk

Offline emptyk

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 11:16:33 »
find a used Leap chair if you can.  Herman Miller chairs are OK, but you are paying a hefty price for the name and for the styling.  Leap chairs don't look as cool or high tech, but in my opinion they are better for your body.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 11:22:01 »
miller chairs have nice pneumatics, or whatever that mechanism is. (don't know about leap)

Offline kps

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 11:40:45 »
Quote from: emptyk;599159
find a used Leap chair if you can.
Agreed. The new price is ridiculous, but I was fortunate enough to find some used ones cheap (though in need of re-covering), and no longer have a sore back.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 11:50:30 »
Thanks for the links ripster!

Never heard of leap, i'll try looking around for a used leap chair.

Edit: used ones are still out of my budget range... :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 12:04:28 by thegunner100 »

Offline Occi

• http://www.thevoid.no
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 12:45:31 »
Quote from: Lanx;599119

Not exactly nice to be sitting in a leather chair with a bare bottom either.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 08:19:39 »
So I went out to the container store to try out the bungee chair... I didn't like it too much. Guess i'll have to go out to another furniture store one of these days to try more stuff out.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
Re: Task chair recommendations
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:20:08 »
Reviving this thread as I'm looking for a new chair again! Please read the updated OP and help me find a new chair!

On a side note... all the ripster posts are gone :x

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:30:49 »
aeron, mirra or embody. i've become part of the cult of HM after getting my aeron

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:34:39 »
Will definitely try them out, but they're generally out of my price range unless i buy used.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:36:24 »
you can get b-stock at sit4less. company's a bit shady, but their warranty claims are 100% true.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:44:14 »
Sweet, thanks for the link! No b-stock herman millers task chairs atm, but if they're legit, then the prices look very nice.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 20:49:43 »
Stupid awesome chairs that aren't for mini-giants/fatties.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:02:07 »
I have 2 of these http://tinyurl.com/85h33qk their crazy comfy im 5' 10" I dont know it helps any.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:04:02 »
I have 2 of these http://tinyurl.com/85h33qk their crazy comfy im 5' 10" I dont know it helps any.

The link isnt loading. What's the name of the chair?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:06:13 »

You're so tiny and frail (aka normal sized)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:08:39 »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:14:10 »
Sweet, thanks for the link! No b-stock herman millers task chairs atm, but if they're legit, then the prices look very nice.
they are legit

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:25:33 »
Sorry:

http://tinyurl.com/85h33qk
http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chairs/product-prod2980618
OfficeMax EZ Bonded Leather Executive Chair, Brown

Ahh ok, my ad-block was blocking it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd like something more adjustable since I have a pretty small frame.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:28:44 »
they are legit

I highly recommend Herman Miller open box chairs from any authorized retailer. They are amazing with their 12-year warranty service.

About a year ago I bought an open box, fully-loaded Mirra for $500 (retail is $800+) from http://www.seatingbargains.com (don't seem to have any HM in stock now). It arrived with a damaged seat and I contacted the retailer about it. They put me in contact with HM and within a week I had a brand new Mirra. They did take down my credit card number as a guarantee to make sure that I shipped back the old chair within a certain time frame but it was done using prepaid freight and the whole process was very simple. It really was one of my best customer service experiences.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:33:25 »
Sounds like a really nice price! I'll keep a lookout for any HMs from seatingbargains.

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:41:06 »
Sounds like a really nice price! I'll keep a lookout for any HMs from seatingbargains.

Since you're in NYC, I really recommend you check out this store: http://www.samflaxny.com/page.htm?PG=StoreLocations. They often have open box and display models at good prices, and they can be bargained with. They also have just about every popular ergonomic chair on display for you to sample. That was how I decided on the Mirra for myself.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 21:43:07 »
Excellent, I'll take a look this weekend. Thanks!

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 23:13:36 »
How about this? This is a very good chair.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2012, 23:17:06 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 23:32:55 »
Why does that chair have a belt on with no pants.  Silly chair.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:39:27 »
I have a memory foam seat pad that can go from chair to chair with me and is extremely comfortable, except for the lack of air circulation.

For those of you who don't have money or space for a really good chair, this might be a way to make any cheap seat tolerable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 10:34:48 »
I have a memory foam seat pad that can go from chair to chair with me and is extremely comfortable, except for the lack of air circulation.

For those of you who don't have money or space for a really good chair, this might be a way to make any cheap seat tolerable.

It'll probably help my butt, but not so much my back. My back is usually the thing that gets hurt :(

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:00:10 »
I hope you're sitting properly with your back in the shape of an S instead of a C...there's no support in the world that will fix poor posture.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 18:44:53 »
I hope you're sitting properly with your back in the shape of an S instead of a C...there's no support in the world that will fix poor posture.

I try, but my chairs currently don't assist me with sitting properly.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 16:58:23 »
Alright so I went to Sam Flax today to try out these chairs: HM aeron, mirra, embody, and the leapcase amia & leap.

Out of the HM chairs, the one that I liked the most was the posture fit aeron size B. Its support is quite unique, and feels a lot better than the regular lumbar support that comes on the regular aerons. What I didn't like about the aerons, like someone mentioned, is that there's only 1 real way to sit on a HM chair: up-right. While this is fine for a work chair, I also use my chair to relax and i'd like to be able to recline freely. I do have to say that the mesh is very nice though, unlike the previous chair that I bought; it's not stiff and would seem very nice to sit on during the summer. But alas, the posture fit aeron is way out of my price range.

As for the embody... I didn't get to spend too much time on it, but it definitely was very nice. I was kinda confused with adjusting the chairn and couldnt figure out how to recline on it. Way out of my price range though, for me to even consider it.

Onto the steelcases, I think i prefer the Amia over the Leap. The leap has minor features over the Amia, and the shape of the back is a little different over the Amia. The Amia seems to be more sturdy, and the back felt a little bit better than the leap. I really like how the tilt-lock works on the leapcases, you can recline, lock, and stay in that postion very easily. The lumbar support on the Amia is very nice, it feels very natural, and un-intrusive. I like how the lumbar support also follows me when I recline on the chair.

At the price point, I think the Amia may be the best purchase that I can make. Can you guys comment on these 5 chairs if you've had experience with them?

« Last Edit: Fri, 12 October 2012, 17:41:58 by thegunner100 »

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:02:56 »
I have tried all the chairs listed, along with numerous others, except the Steelcase (Leapcase?) Amia. My most important criteria was a good lumbar support because I get lower back pain.

Out of all the ones I tried, my favorites were the HM Mirra and Aeron with posturefit. Ultimately, I went with the Mirra because its lumbar support is adjustable in height and depth and I preferred its slightly softer mesh fabric. While I agree that these chairs do not permit you to slouch (this is a good thing!), I can certainly recline comfortably in them. In fact, I usually sit at around a 30-45 degree angle in my Mirra and am doing it right now as I type. Perhaps you didn't get a chance to try out all the settings? There's a lock on the maximum recline and a knob to control recline tension.

With regard to other HM chairs, I tried and disliked the pricier Embody for what I considered an awkward-feeling back, but found the much cheaper Sayl to be very comfortable. If the others are too expensive, I really recommend checking it out (I swear I don't work for HM, I just really like their chairs!). With upgraded features, it can be nearly as adjustable as the pricier Aeron/Mirra at a much lower price point.

As far as other companies go, I like the Steelcase Leap and Think a lot. I sit on a Leap at work and enjoy its highly adjustable lumbar support. The Think looks like it might be similar to the Amia and is another possibility if you're looking for something a little cheaper.

I also tried several chairs from Humanscale, which may be worth checking out. Their recline feels very different from the others and you will probably either love it or hate it. I was in the latter camp but I know many people really like them.

Which Sam Flax location did you go to? I went to the 3rd Ave one, which had all the chairs I listed and more. While I tried them all, I only mentioned the ones I felt worth commenting on.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:45:13 »
Yup, I went to the 3rd ave Sam Flax.

It was most likely the case that I didn't get to try out all of the settings on the HM. I saw the two levers on the left side, that seemed like they had something to do with the recline. When i pulled them up, it didn't seem like it did anything. The lumbar supports on the HM felt very strange to me though. I haven't had any chairs that have any real lumbar chairs so far, so i'm used to the tradintional task chairs.

I don't remember sitting on the Think or the Sayl, but the Amia is definitely seems closer to the Leap than it does to the Think.

Slouching is definitely something I need to work on, I dont think i can go from my current chairs to a HM easily.

Thanks for the help thus far! :D

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 19:58:08 »
Just looked at the pics again and it seems like the seat of the Amia is more like the Leap, while the back is more like the Think.

It is a lever on the HM chairs that locks/unlocks several levels of recline. The Leap has the same thing but it's located on the right. HM chairs probably have a more pronounced arch in the lumbar area than the others, which I prefer. It's less apparent on the Sayl, so you may like that more. The Sayl is also probably the sexiest chair I've ever seen. :D

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 20:16:01 »
Hoho... the Sayl is quite a sexy chair indeed. I'll definitely have to try that out, but which of the Sayl options would you recommend?

Offline ChaoticKinesis

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 21:49:29 »
I would definitely get the lumbar support. With arms, there really should be only one position that's right for you, so I would try the non-adjustable first to see if it's in the right position (upper arms parallel to torso, elbows bent 90 degrees). If not, then get adjustable arms. Also keep in mind the fully adjustable arms are a bit bulkier, which may be more comfortable. Unless you're above average height or have really long legs get fixed seat. Seat angle is only if you like to lean forward in your chair, which I don't.

You can see most features and customize the chair here: http://www.hermanmiller.com/product-configurators/sayl-chairs.html
This site lets you customize even more and gives an idea of the pricing: http://www.smartfurniture.com/products/Sayl-Chair.html?att=44&cid=95

Offline Calade

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 05:01:34 »
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00103102/

Or if used chairs don't bother you, you can buy a used high end one.

I have one of these (in orange, the only acceptable-looking option in their colour pallette) and it's great! I've tried a LOT of chairs in my search for the perfect one, including ones costing like 1k€, but this is the comfiest of them all and really cheap as well. And at least here in Finland it comes with a 10-year warranty.