Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 217603 times)

Offline maxf

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 21:50:20 »
HT love

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #501 on: Fri, 04 May 2018, 16:58:55 »
Getting snowy here! Or all the time... I swapped my tyres for a tubeless setup, which worked out pretty good so far, I had fears that it would be hard to mount and install and getting it airtight. Also changed to another bar. Ah, and getting soon rid of that Shimano anchor in the back.

Show Image

Very clean :)

I've been planning on going tubeless since I started riding sketchy terrain more, just got some Mavics that are tubeless ready so I might try it out once the tube punctures :p

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Sniping

« Reply #502 on: Sun, 06 May 2018, 23:21:17 »
Getting snowy here! Or all the time... I swapped my tyres for a tubeless setup, which worked out pretty good so far, I had fears that it would be hard to mount and install and getting it airtight. Also changed to another bar. Ah, and getting soon rid of that Shimano anchor in the back.

Show Image

Very clean :)

I've been planning on going tubeless since I started riding sketchy terrain more, just got some Mavics that are tubeless ready so I might try it out once the tube punctures :p

Show Image

Nice pic! Been thinking about building up a road bike for this summer. Finally scraped up some pocket change for a nice build.

Offline JP

« Reply #503 on: Wed, 09 May 2018, 22:12:44 »
Ready for urban adventures now. Lock works good with velcro to keep it secure. I bought the stupid plastic mounting brackets originally but this way works better.

195394-0
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #504 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 01:40:22 »
Ready for urban adventures now. Lock works good with velcro to keep it secure. I bought the stupid plastic mounting brackets originally but this way works better.

(Attachment Link)

That's a great idea, gonna try it out if my frame has enough room :eek:

I've been keeping my lock on top of my saddlebag under the saddle which works OK but the back of my thighs hit it occasionally & it's not the most secure fit.

Offline JP

« Reply #505 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 11:29:05 »

(Attachment Link)

That's a great idea, gonna try it out if my frame has enough room :eek:

I've been keeping my lock on top of my saddlebag under the saddle which works OK but the back of my thighs hit it occasionally & it's not the most secure fit.

I also used this air pump holder from Amazon to help secure :
https://www.amazon.com/Two-Fish-Megablock-Pump-Holder/dp/B001F307JK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1526314545&sr=1-1&keywords=Two+Fish+Megablock+XL+Pump+Holder

I was even able to mount a portable air pump next to the lock along the frame. I don't notice either while riding. Also my water bottle fits just fine and actually is easier to remove while riding since it doesn't fit inside the cage all the way with the lock there. I just need to install my bike computer and buy some led lights or something for night riding and I think I will be set for a while. Well maybe a bell or an airhorn would be useful as well to get people to move out of the way on the trails.  :))

A couple more pics:

195663-0
195665-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 May 2018, 19:57:17 by JP »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #506 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 14:31:07 »
Currently looking for a bike. I found a really nice bike in my town but the seller said someone else is already looking at it. Kind of hoping that falls through so that I can snatch it for myself.  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline JP

« Reply #507 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 18:47:04 »
Currently looking for a bike. I found a really nice bike in my town but the seller said someone else is already looking at it. Kind of hoping that falls through so that I can snatch it for myself.  :))

I tried looking for a used bike but I am glad I went with a new road bike for my first bike. I just was not able to find a deal that made sense at the time for the kind of bike I was looking for. At least with a new bike I was able to get one that fit properly and even got it for a decent price since it was a model from the previous year.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #508 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 19:37:49 »
Well I would buy new myself but I have a really low budget, like sub $200. Any of the new stuff is junk and even if they weren't, nothing is even close to the frame size I'm looking for (23"+).
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline JP

« Reply #509 on: Mon, 14 May 2018, 19:46:21 »
Well I would buy new myself but I have a really low budget, like sub $200. Any of the new stuff is junk and even if they weren't, nothing is even close to the frame size I'm looking for (23"+).

Hmm...I'd say try and find a vintage bike then. This can be an expensive hobby but it doesn't have to be to get started. You can spend that much alone on shoes. Factor in other accessories over time and it adds up.

[Edit] Speaking of shoes can anyone here recommended some decent clipless pedals and mountain bike shoes? I'm still mashing on the cheap plastic pedals that came with my bike.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 May 2018, 20:03:27 by JP »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 09:25:49 »
I bought this just a couple of hours ago. About the only thing it needs is a kickstand but is otherwise be ready to go. Vintage Diamond Back Ascent which was a upper-mid range bike back in the day. A little TLC and it should last me quite awhile yet.

Offline JP

« Reply #511 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 10:01:28 »
Sweet ride. I've had my bike for the past 4 years without a kickstand.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #512 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:34:03 »
Ended up picking up parts for a new bike after all! Snagged the last new Allez Sprint chameleon frame in my size, and picked up a rotor power meter and some dura ace 9000 drivetrain pieces. Need to hunt down some nice clinchers but the build is off to a good start.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #513 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 14:16:05 »
Just found this thread - Anyone else here have the N+1 problem with bikes like they do with keyboards? I'm at 5 and it's my max currently (80's retro-upgraded Aluminum Cannondale road, modern carbon Fuji road, steel 70's converted single-speed commuter Peugeot, Norco full-suspension 29'er MTB, and a backup-for-guests single-speed cruiser with fat spring seat and swept handlebars).

Speaking of shoes can anyone here recommended some decent clipless pedals and mountain bike shoes? I'm still mashing on the cheap plastic pedals that came with my bike.

Go with some MTB specific (recessed cleat mount, so you can walk on them when off the bike) clipless shoes on the cheap side (I have some Giros with triple velcro and synthetic leather for <$60) paired with the standard Shimano STD cleats, double-sided pedals. Most other options are variants on the same design. Crank Bros eggbeaters seem like simplicity superiority but don't disengage as cleanly, and cost more. You can also get MTB clipless pedals with platform for extra stability or for use with flat shoes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 14:20:53 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline JP

« Reply #514 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:29:49 »
Ended up picking up parts for a new bike after all! Snagged the last new Allez Sprint chameleon frame in my size, and picked up a rotor power meter and some dura ace 9000 drivetrain pieces. Need to hunt down some nice clinchers but the build is off to a good start.

That's going to be a sweet build. Please post some pics once things come together.

Offline JP

« Reply #515 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:34:23 »
Just found this thread - Anyone else here have the N+1 problem with bikes like they do with keyboards? I'm at 5 and it's my max currently (80's retro-upgraded Aluminum Cannondale road, modern carbon Fuji road, steel 70's converted single-speed commuter Peugeot, Norco full-suspension 29'er MTB, and a backup-for-guests single-speed cruiser with fat spring seat and swept handlebars).

You also need a trainer bike for zwift and a fat tire bike for riding in snow  ;D As the old saying goes different horses for different courses. I don't have that problem since I only have space for 1-2 bikes max. I could see myself owning a few down the road though.

Go with some MTB specific (recessed cleat mount, so you can walk on them when off the bike) clipless shoes on the cheap side (I have some Giros with triple velcro and synthetic leather for <$60) paired with the standard Shimano STD cleats, double-sided pedals. Most other options are variants on the same design. Crank Bros eggbeaters seem like simplicity superiority but don't disengage as cleanly, and cost more. You can also get MTB clipless pedals with platform for extra stability or for use with flat shoes.

Thanks for the response. I'll be going to a bike shop soon to check some out in person.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:36:10 by JP »

Offline Zuology

« Reply #516 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 15:38:25 »
You also need a trainer bike for zwift and a fat tire bike for riding in snow  ;D As the old saying goes different horses for different courses. I don't have that problem since I only have space for 1-2 bikes max. I could see myself owning a few down the road though.

The cannondale does duty on the trainer (rollers when I am feeling frisky, else stationary back-wheel stand) and goes out in bad weather as the beater, so I don't feel bad about mucking up the carbon road.
Snow season I ditch rubber and go sliding on the snowboard(s)!
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline JP

« Reply #517 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:20:09 »
I haven't settled on a any pedals or shoes just yet. I also might check out some saddles while I'm at it.

I've added a few goodies though.

Cateye Strada computer
196207-0

Crane bell (loud AF) and scared some people  :thumb:
196209-1

Lezyne Zecto Drive 250 Lumen headlight
196211-2

Lezyne Zecto Drive Tail light
196213-3
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 21:26:21 by JP »

Offline Zuology

« Reply #518 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 22:26:25 »
I haven't settled on a any pedals or shoes just yet. I also might check out some saddles while I'm at it.

I've added a few goodies though.

Cateye Strada computer
(Attachment Link)

Crane bell (loud AF) and scared some people  :thumb:
(Attachment Link)

Lezyne Zecto Drive 250 Lumen headlight
(Attachment Link)

Lezyne Zecto Drive Tail light
(Attachment Link)

Loud AF bell is best bell, that's the whole point! Best light is a bright light that has charge when you need it!

Figuring out best saddle is literally a pain in the ass. Best is if the store has sample/test saddles for you to use for extended trial (more than just sitting on it mounted in the store or jamming it into your crouch while standing). Or, ask point blank what their return policy is on saddles, some are lenient and will let you return it after X time as long as not worn, damaged, or stained. Some of the places will have memory foam pad measuring boards for you to sit down on and then measure how far apart your sitbones are to recommend a specific type or model of saddle that will match/support that width. It's really one of those things that I've found I have to try more things out to figure out what I don't like in order to find the one that I like.
More

Offline Naack

« Reply #519 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 22:48:01 »
This here is my 29er Specialized Stumpjumper. It is full carbon and is rocking some Shimano Clipless. I forget the bell I bought for it but it looks wonderful and sounds bloody loud!

Offline JP

« Reply #520 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 22:58:24 »
Loud AF bell is best bell, that's the whole point! Best light is a bright light that has charge when you need it!

Figuring out best saddle is literally a pain in the ass. Best is if the store has sample/test saddles for you to use for extended trial (more than just sitting on it mounted in the store or jamming it into your crouch while standing). Or, ask point blank what their return policy is on saddles, some are lenient and will let you return it after X time as long as not worn, damaged, or stained. Some of the places will have memory foam pad measuring boards for you to sit down on and then measure how far apart your sitbones are to recommend a specific type or model of saddle that will match/support that width. It's really one of those things that I've found I have to try more things out to figure out what I don't like in order to find the one that I like.

I never needed a bell where I used to live and there were plenty of people on the trails. I guess people are a bit different in bigger cities. It really can be quite dangerous with children and peoples dogs running about and blissfully unaware pedestrians with earbuds cranked up to the max.

I found something interesting as far as saddle fitment. Prologo has a fitting system. Their saddles are expensive but if anything perhaps the information might provide some insights into saddle selections in general. There is a dealer around so I might try and have a fitment done.

http://www.prologotouch.com/prologoTouch/myown-tutorials/

Also I am eyeing some Shimano clipless pedals. Not race pedals but ones I can get going on even if not clipped in.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 May 2018, 23:04:29 by JP »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #521 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 01:45:49 »
My crank got stripped it literally the day after riding my new bike. Had to pay $70 to get the entire crankcase replaced. Luckily the local shop (rated number 1 in America to boot  :)) ) only charged the cost of the parts plus $30 for labor. At least the crank broke within the first 0.1 miles of my residence and not after I had already gotten to work 4 miles away.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #522 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 15:03:36 »
196277-0

oh!! totally forgot to post this pic from my phone. this pic is already on my instagram @keyfiends but i'll be posting more pics as i build up my chameleon allez sprint frame. the red hook paint job is so legit and i'll be taking some better pictures of it this weekend.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #523 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 15:11:51 »
(Attachment Link)

oh!! totally forgot to post this pic from my phone. this pic is already on my instagram @keyfiends but i'll be posting more pics as i build up my chameleon allez sprint frame. the red hook paint job is so legit and i'll be taking some better pictures of it this weekend.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
That is so rad!
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline JP

« Reply #524 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 15:18:15 »
That paint scheme is wild.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #525 on: Thu, 24 May 2018, 16:57:54 »
(Attachment Link)

Holy F*CK that is a hot paint job!
More

Offline goodman247

• It's confirmed, I'm an idiot.
« Reply #526 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 01:00:13 »
(Attachment Link)

That is one hell of a paint job, very trippy!!

Offline JP

« Reply #527 on: Wed, 30 May 2018, 00:29:03 »
Here is that frame already built into a bike. It's a piece of art.
https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-reviews/specialized-allez-dsw-sl-sprint-frame-review

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #528 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 06:10:01 »
Uh that last link wouldn't open - can you post the pic?

Offline JP

« Reply #529 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 19:00:45 »

Even better, a video review.

Offline JP

« Reply #530 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 08:58:02 »
World bicycle day today. Time for a bike ride  :D

Offline JP

« Reply #531 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:15:29 »
Made it 40 miles riding through a head wind. Only stopped for beer twice  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #532 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 14:40:03 »
Made it 40 miles riding through a head wind. Only stopped for beer twice  :thumb:

DUI,  this is illegal !!

Offline Hawkfriend

• K E Y B O R T S
« Reply #533 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 15:45:52 »

My baby

Offline Lndefinite

« Reply #534 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:11:24 »

Even better, a video review.

Damn, that bike is sick. Love the paint job.  :thumb:

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #535 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 00:13:26 »
(Attachment Link)

Looks fast :cool:

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:57:16 »
I have a few road bikes and the Pure Cycle Volta I received a few weeks ago is my favorite. Super fun to ride as a normal bike but also has battery assist for 40 miles. Goes up to 20 mph, built-in lights and GPS, built-in bell and basket. For me, it's the perfect bike.

Offline billm

« Reply #537 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:10:05 »
Just got this up and rideable this weekend after having the parts in my basement for nearly a decade. Still a WIP. Thinking of converting it to an e-bike with a Tongsheng TSDZ2, which wasn't an option when I bought most of the parts.

Why does it seem un-surprising to me that keyboard people would also be bike people?

197482-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:17:14 by billm »
If it's not ALPS it's crap!

Offline Zuology

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 15:52:54 »
Just got this up and rideable this weekend after having the parts in my basement for nearly a decade. Still a WIP. Thinking of converting it to an e-bike with a Tongsheng TSDZ2, which wasn't an option when I bought most of the parts.

Why does it seem un-surprising to me that keyboard people would also be bike people?

(Attachment Link)

That is lovely af! Love the grips and the front rack, though the chainguard seems a tad aggressive in its coverage (IMO).

Are they selling electric-assist retrofit kits that are universal now, or does it take some hackery to work?
More

Offline meepmeep

• meep meep meep, meep meep meep. Meep!
« Reply #539 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:14:18 »

(Attachment Link)

An ebike would be sweet! That thing looks so pristine!

Offline billm

« Reply #540 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 17:44:22 »
Heh. The chainguard is just sitting there for the photo. Not yet fully installed.

The bike is intended to be an homage to the French porteur bikes as built by parisian constructuers like Rene Herse and Alex Singer:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

This velo-orange frame was only about $400 however. Of course that was in 2008 dollars. The idea was that the bike should be cool, but not so fancy that I'd be afraid to ride it around town and lock it up places.

This style of chainguard, the front rack, and the reverse brake levers are common porteur elements. I suppose the shellaced cotton grips are too, though I arrived at them as a bit of an accident. I had to use a 23.8mm bar to fit the aero bar end levers, and no other grips would fit, especially with the cable running under the bar so I had to make my own. That turns out to be exactly what they often did back then too.

As far as the e-bike conversion kits go, I've been doing quite a bit of research. There are basically 2 common Chinese mid-mount ones that claim to fit 95% of existing bikes, the Bafang BBS-02 and the Tongsheng TSDZ2.

There are a couple of retailers that sell them in the US, but my research suggests that ordering direct from Aliexpress can save you 40%. You can get the Tongsheng 48v, 750W TSDZ2 and a "52v" 17ah "shark pack" battery that mounts on the bottle cage holes on the downtube for under $1k shipped. 2/3 of that cost is in the battery. A smaller capacity battery, or one that uses slightly less efficient Korean made cells from Samsung or LG rather than Japanese made Sanyo 18650s can shave $200-350 from that. I've watched several tsdz2 install videos on youtube. It doesn't look very hard.

The vid that convinced me:

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 June 2018, 23:02:47 by billm »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #541 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 07:58:21 »
Ha I considered getting a nicer bike, but I'm pretty happy with my vintage Diamond Back. It's rough enough that I'm less worried about theft, but still plenty sturdy.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #542 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 12:00:12 »
Heh. The chainguard is just sitting there for the photo. Not yet fully installed.

The bike is intended to be an homage to the French porteur bikes as built by parisian constructuers like Rene Herse and Alex Singer:

http://www.blackbirdsf.org/courierracing/velos.html

This velo-orange frame was only about $400 however. Of course that was in 2008 dollars. The idea was that the bike should be cool, but not so fancy that I'd be afraid to ride it around town and lock it up places.

This style of chainguard, the front rack, and the reverse brake levers are common porteur elements. I suppose the shellaced cotton grips are too, though I arrived at them as a bit of an accident. I had to use a 23.8mm bar to fit the aero bar end levers, and no other grips would fit, especially with the cable running under the bar so I had to make my own. That turns out to be exactly what they often did back then too.

As far as the e-bike conversion kits go, I've been doing quite a bit of research. There are basically 2 common Chinese mid-mount ones that claim to fit 95% of existing bikes, the Bafang BBS-02 and the Tongsheng TSDZ2.

There are a couple of retailers that sell them in the US, but my research suggests that ordering direct from Aliexpress can save you 40%. You can get the Tongsheng 48v, 750W TSDZ2 and a "52v" 17ah "shark pack" battery that mounts on the bottle cage holes on the downtube for under $1k shipped. 2/3 of that cost is in the battery. A smaller capacity battery, or one that uses slightly less efficient Korean made cells from Samsung or LG rather than Japanese made Sanyo 18650s can shave $200-350 from that. I've watched several tsdz2 install videos on youtube. It doesn't look very hard.

The vid that convinced me:

Yeah the chainguard looked "off", and being that it was not mounted makes sense. Are you planning on keeping it raw/unfinished metal or planning to paint it to match the rest of the bike more cleanly?

Also, thanks for the pointers on the e-bike retro-conversion options! Will have to dive down that rabbit-hole sometime. Could be great options to get my mom out on a bike, since me and dad are already cycle-fiends.
More

Offline billm

« Reply #543 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:29:46 »
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it in terms of finish. I've thought about it a few times. I have an HVLP gun so in theory I could paint it myself, but I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.

As I said, these parts were from velo-orange circa 2008, just as they were beginning to get into the business. Their finishing capabilities were uh... limited at the time, but they've gotten a lot more professional since.

The fenders are also unpolished, and I don't especially love the matte paint on the frame. I suppose I think that if I were to polish or paint the chain guard, then I'd also have to do the fenders, then both would look better than the frame so I'd have to paint that too... It's a deep rabbit hole that I'm not sure I'm up for going down.

I guess I'm looking at this particular bike as something of a research platform/daily driver. It just is what it is. If I want a real heirloom dream bike, which I wouldn't completely rule out someday, there are something like 30 frame builders in town. I'd love to commission a handmade vintage-ish lugged frame steel bike with top of the line components, but if I did that I'm not sure I'd build another city bike.

http://oregonframebuilders.org/ohbs/

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 June 2018, 14:34:29 by billm »

Offline Zuology

« Reply #544 on: Fri, 08 June 2018, 16:10:44 »
Yeah I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it in terms of finish. I've thought about it a few times. I have an HVLP gun so in theory I could paint it myself, but I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.

As I said, these parts were from velo-orange circa 2008, just as they were beginning to get into the business. Their finishing capabilities were uh... limited at the time, but they've gotten a lot more professional since.

The fenders are also unpolished, and I don't especially love the matte paint on the frame. I suppose I think that if I were to polish or paint the chain guard, then I'd also have to do the fenders, then both would look better than the frame so I'd have to paint that too... It's a deep rabbit hole that I'm not sure I'm up for going down.

I guess I'm looking at this particular bike as something of a research platform/daily driver. It just is what it is. If I want a real heirloom dream bike, which I wouldn't completely rule out someday, there are something like 30 frame builders in town. I'd love to commission a handmade vintage-ish lugged frame steel bike with top of the line components, but if I did that I'm not sure I'd build another city bike.
http://oregonframebuilders.org/ohbs/

Yeah I noticed your location after my first comment, and realized the potential you have to really put some money into that thing in PDX! IMHO, I think it looks fine/great with the silver/chrome/raw aluminum accents from the handlebars, rack, fenders... Just that big block of the unfinished chain guard is giant block that isn't as much an accent because it's pure surface area! If you want cheap/DIY finish, I've had good luck with plasti-dip (spray version) to give a durable and protective coat that can also be easily removed/peeled and redone as needed (compared to traditional paint where you have to fully strip in order to properly paint it back up). I just think the chainguard would look better in black, or maybe do some detail on it where you keep some silver along the perimeter as accents and black/paint out the core section.

In all, it's a great looking setup, and I love humble workhorse bikes. This is my Peugeot that I brought back from France (picked up for 50 Euros while following TdF during Lance's 6th yellow jersey bid), which has since picked up a rear rack and some new tape, as well as a pricey but well worth Phil Wood bottom bracket:
More

Offline billm

« Reply #545 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 22:42:50 »
That is a lovely ride. I love the stronglight crank set, and the pump is where it should be! You see them along the top tube a lot, but it makes slinging the bike on your shoulder difficult. It belongs where it is on yours. That must be what, early 90s? I'm trying to remember when white saddles were in.

I find lately, that if the top tube isn't horizontal I'm just not interested. I think my next ride is going to be a steel low trail randonneuring bike, one size up from what I'm "supposed" to ride because it's so much more comfortable, with a flat top tube.

Apparently everything that I consider a normal bike is now "vintage". I've even seen steel bikes referred to as "reenactment" bikes by carbon racer loving types. Bike racer types are super *****y on the internet.

I just don't get it.  Are your blue jeans "gold rush re-enactment pants"? Are those leather shoes "vintage style" footware? If you cook stuff on a gas burner instead of in the microwave is it "throwback cooking"? A steel bike with normal geometry like yours is just the canonical "bike".

Took my first ride with the electric assist last night. Installation took an hour or so over the weekend, then the battery arrived yesterday. I still have a bit of wiring to finish up to get the tail light working, but damn it's pretty fun. It feels more like a bike than I expected, just with a little extra kick. I call it the hill flattener, because that's about all you notice about it.

Its funny that you mention plasti-dip because I just bought a can. I took one of those cheap clear plastic keyboard cases and plasti-dipped the inside of it. I figured it would get a nice 3dish effect, plus work as a dampener. The effect was less dramatic than I'd hoped but it looks pretty good. Better than trying to spray paint the outside of the case anyway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:45:05 by billm »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #546 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 05:17:55 »
I'm looking at a job which would involve a significant commute and not liking the lack of control over the journey length while driving (having to allow an extra 20 minutes every day just in case there's traffic and still being late sometimes) a ~15 mile each way bike ride along the canal sounds like my best option.  Unfortunately this puts me in the standard newbie position of wanting the best tool for the job but not knowing what that is!

After asking my local bike shop if they had anything used they said no and, assuming I wasn't made of money, suggested I should look at front suspension, big wheels and lots of gears. I tried a 'hybrid' (looks like a skinny mountain bike but with road tyres) and an entry level mountain bike.  They were £400 but reading around the forks on both are both SR Suntour and take a hammering in enthusiast circles, and both have mechanical disk brakes which aren't the best.

For around the same money I can get a decent looking 5-10 year old full suspension XC bike on ebay which is only lacking in the 'big wheels' and warranty but has the bonuses of rear suspension and hydraulic brakes.  Sure it will weigh more than the new ones but don't think I'll care on a level track.  The last time I rode a bike was with a paper bag on each shoulder :))

I then get thinking that some offroading at the weekend could be fun and a used DH bike isn't much more money, and again would I really notice the extra weight?

Obviously the best option is finding someone willing to let me test a selection of bikes on the actual route but that's not going to happen.

Is there anything else I should consider before I take a punt on something which I will never know is/isn't doing a good job?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #547 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 08:36:58 »
If you are going to be on pavement more than 90% of the time, you will certainly notice the extra weight of a mountain bike. The suspension is great for rough terrain though. I'd definitely look at used, get a decent brand. I trust my 20+ year old Diamond Back to some of the junk I see in sports stores these days.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #548 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 08:45:51 »
I'm looking at a job which would involve a significant commute and not liking the lack of control over the journey length while driving (having to allow an extra 20 minutes every day just in case there's traffic and still being late sometimes) a ~15 mile each way bike ride along the canal sounds like my best option.  Unfortunately this puts me in the standard newbie position of wanting the best tool for the job but not knowing what that is!

After asking my local bike shop if they had anything used they said no and, assuming I wasn't made of money, suggested I should look at front suspension, big wheels and lots of gears. I tried a 'hybrid' (looks like a skinny mountain bike but with road tyres) and an entry level mountain bike.  They were £400 but reading around the forks on both are both SR Suntour and take a hammering in enthusiast circles, and both have mechanical disk brakes which aren't the best.

For around the same money I can get a decent looking 5-10 year old full suspension XC bike on ebay which is only lacking in the 'big wheels' and warranty but has the bonuses of rear suspension and hydraulic brakes.  Sure it will weigh more than the new ones but don't think I'll care on a level track.  The last time I rode a bike was with a paper bag on each shoulder :))

I then get thinking that some offroading at the weekend could be fun and a used DH bike isn't much more money, and again would I really notice the extra weight?

Obviously the best option is finding someone willing to let me test a selection of bikes on the actual route but that's not going to happen.

Is there anything else I should consider before I take a punt on something which I will never know is/isn't doing a good job?

definitely get on a road bike. you would go quite a bit faster. i wouldn't even think about a dh bike, they're so incredibly heavy and chunky. if you shop used bikes you can definitely find something nice for a fraction of the price, and you'd be surprised as to how much you can get out of your budget. my carbon mtb only ran me $500 complete so there are definitely very good deals out there.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 08:47:42 »
Thanks Blaise and Sniping - it's mostly hard soil and gravel now/mud in the winter rather than pavement, flat (next to waterway) but far from smooth so a road bike is not an option.

My main hesitation with buying used is I know nothing so if the seller says it's good I can't argue, but there is certainly a lot more bike available for the money (as with pretty much anything that's available second hand...)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 July 2018, 08:59:38 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod