Author Topic: Uh... hi! I'm new here.  (Read 1237 times)

Offline spoonraker

Uh... hi! I'm new here.
« on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:15:40 »
I'm in Orlando, FL at the moment, but come August this year I'll be moving out of the sunshine state to Lincoln, NE... because I'm insane I guess.

I do web development (the back-end kind, not the making stuff look pretty kind), and I like mechanical keyboards. Right now I am particularly infatuated with the 60% form factor.

Here's my collection, although I'm selling or have already sold most of these already:

The Poker 2, with new key caps...

I just recently impulse bought another Poker 2, this time in grey with Cherry MX Reds because I wanted to try something completely different than the super heavy clears on the other Poker. I've also got Gold/Black Raven and Warmaster caps on the way from the most recent PHK sale. I think they'll look nice on the grey Poker 2.

I know I'm not even close to done dumping money into keyboards, so I thought now would be a good time to register here.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Uh... hi! I'm new here.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 15:21:18 »
Hello and welcome to Geekhack! Looks like you are already on the way to wallet-hacking.  :p  You have a nice selection of keyboards already!

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 19:10:54 »
Welcome! I also picked up a Black Gold Raven. :) Nice keyboards too!

Offline wholphin

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 20:13:29 »
Welcome! Do you still have your Model M? What are/were the details on it - i.e. did you do any mods?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline spoonraker

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:38:18 »
Welcome! Do you still have your Model M? What are/were the details on it - i.e. did you do any mods?

I just sold it actually. It was a 1989 model, bone stock with no mods.

I liked it, but it was just so huge that I found myself never using it in favor of the TKL or 60% boards.

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 19:24:58 »
I'd love to have a Model M, but like you said, I don't think I'd actually use it. Maybe I could mount it in a case by the door to impress potential mates.
CM Storm QFR-i | Matias Ergo Pro (pre-ordered) | M$FT Natural Ergonomic 4000

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 04:36:35 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The Model M is huge, especially compared to the HHKB.  I just switched from a Model M to HHKB in my regular keyboard rotation, and the sound and feel of the HHKB is completely different, but I have most of my desk back now!

Those liking buckling springs but not the size of a Model M could look for an SSK - a TKL version of the Model M.  There are even 60% Model M in the form of the Kishaver, although they are much rarer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ