Author Topic: Hello Geekhack!  (Read 1759 times)

Offline billputer

• hi
Hello Geekhack!
« on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 18:23:14 »
Hello Geekhack, I'm billputer.

I'm new to the world of mechanical keyboards. I've always used the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboards, but I've been hearing good things about mechanical switches for a long time. I kept seeing posts like this, so eventually I decided to join the club. I did a lot of research here and elsewhere, and came up with the Coolermaster Storm Quickfire Rapid-i (say that ten times fast) with Cherry MX-Browns. I wanted a solid TKL keyboard with Browns, and the shiny backlighting appealed to me. I'll admit this video where someone hacked this keyboard  to play snake may have lured me in.

I've had my Quickfire Rapid-i since Christmas, and have been loving it. I've added some o-rings to dampen things a bit, and I'm looking forward to getting some custom key-caps to personalize it. I've been lusting after the Penumbra SA keycaps. They're just so goddamn beautiful.
More

I'm happy with the Rapid-i, but in the long run I'd like something more ergonomic. I'm a programmer, I spend hours and hours typing, so ergonomics are a big deal. I'm about 90% sure my next step is to build my own ErgoDox. I've been waiting around for MassDrop to do another ErgoDox deal, but I don't know if I can wait. I'll probably order all the parts individually and make my own.

Once I do my ErgoDox, who knows what's next? An Atreus? A completely custom ergo board? We'll find out.
CM Storm QFR-i | Matias Ergo Pro (pre-ordered) | M$FT Natural Ergonomic 4000

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
E
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 19:08:46 »
Welcome! I've been longing for the Penumbra set too. Maybe ctrlalt.io might do another round?  :cool:

If you don't really care for keycaps with an ergo there is always the ;

Kenesis Advantage with MX Browns http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac/

or

Esrille NISSE (Super Expensive) http://www.esrille.com/keyboard/

and of course this weird thing  :)) https://www.trulyergonomic.com/store/index.php

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. :)

Offline billputer

• hi
Re: Hello Geekhack!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 19:32:39 »
Ooh, thanks for the suggestions.

A friend of mine has the Advantage. I like the dish layout, but the whole thing just seems too bulky.

That Esrille looks super cool, definitely would want to try it IRL before spending $500 though, that's insane.

I like the columnar layout of the Truly Ergonomic, but it doesn't seem to utilize the thumb as much. It's our strongest, most flexible finger. That said, I've never really used one of those that relies on the thumb for a long time. I wonder if I'd get sore thumbs. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:37:27 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Are you lusting after the profile (SA) or the colours of the Penumbra set?

Either way, if you can't find a set, give it 2 months and 25 posts and you can create a WTB thread in classifieds.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 17:17:52 »

Either way, if you can't find a set, give it 2 months and 25 posts and you can create a WTB thread in classifieds.

Both, although more so the coloring. I love the Solarized color theme.

I think I'm going to get in on the 1976 group buy to satisfy my SA craving, but I'd still love to get my hands on some Penumbras.

I'd love to post in classifieds some day, but my post count doesn't seem to be going up. Is there a delay on the displayed post count?

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 19:09:29 »
sup breh
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline billputer

• hi
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:01:34 »
sup breh
nm, just chilllllllin'.  :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 01:42:17 »

Both, although more so the coloring. I love the Solarized color theme.

I think I'm going to get in on the 1976 group buy to satisfy my SA craving, but I'd still love to get my hands on some Penumbras.

I'd love to post in classifieds some day, but my post count doesn't seem to be going up. Is there a delay on the displayed post count?

Posts in new members, classifieds and off topic do not count towards your official post count.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ