Poll

I will be attending KeyCon 2017 in Philadelphia.

YES  :D
48 (31.4%)
No  :(
48 (31.4%)
Maybe  ^-^
43 (28.1%)
Maybe not  :-\
1 (0.7%)
I don't even know  :confused:
13 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: KeyCon 2017!! --> OVER  (Read 217654 times)

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: KeyCon 2017!! --> DATE FINALIZED
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 18:59:11 »
Donations totals have been posted over in the donations thread - thanks everyone!!

If any of the Varmilo donated keyboards raffle winners could please post some pictures and a few words on how you like the boards, we've had a request from Varmilo for feedback.  Thanks!

Show Image

I hope they don't mind if I put some different keycaps on them. So, the build quality is very, very nice. The stabilized keys honestly have the best feel on the whole board. Stock cherry browns are stock cherry browns (wish I could lube them, but alas no cutouts, as expected). My biggest gripe is the LEDs make GMK sets unable to fully depress. I will probably end up having to file off the front edge of the LEDs due to this. Otherwise, the ability to swap control and caps lock OTG is great. I'm sure I'll really enjoy this board fully once I am removed of my LED problems.

Nice wok

Were wok brothers

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 29 June 2017, 21:11:15 »
Do we have anything for New Jersey or somewhere not too far from it?
I wish I could've gone to Philadelphia!  :thumb:

You cant get much closer to NJ than eastern PA!
Considering some of the participants drove up to 12 hours to get there.

I suggest keeping track of the reddit/r/mechanicalkeyboards "meetup" thread at the top of their list. That seems to be a great place to find your local gatherings.

What happened to your breath?

*** ahh... Zelda. Gotcha. I was worried for a minute :))
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 August 2017, 20:08:08 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #552 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 15:52:21 »
Having filed down the LEDs to allow for smooth usage of GMK caps, this board is extremely pleasant to use. Occasionally my caps lock/ctrl swap will revert. Not sure what exactly triggers it.

I've also noticed something interesting. While NKRO appears to work just fine, when I have Switch Hitter open and I press 6 or more keys, the USB Speed will rapidly cycle from Full to Low and the USB ID from 004 to 003. The keys come out fine but something is *obviously* happening not great with the USB host behind the scenes. This only happens with >5 keys being depressed at once.

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #553 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 16:22:14 »
The pictures / livestream made it look like the event was a blast. Sad I didn't consider going sooner and I'll hope to make it out next year!

Offline smt

• I like keyboards
    • smt.io
« Reply #554 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:54:23 »
Donations totals have been posted over in the donations thread - thanks everyone!!

If any of the Varmilo donated keyboards raffle winners could please post some pictures and a few words on how you like the boards, we've had a request from Varmilo for feedback.  Thanks!

The 104-key Varmilo board is excellent. I can see why people compare these to Leopold, as the form factor has similarities, and the build quality seems to be solid. The stabilized keys, including the spacebar, are fairly silent. Much better in regards to fit and finish than most stock keyboards available today.

I echo the gripes of the others regarding the switches being mounted backwards, so that the LEDs are in front, which causes issues with GMK caps (I too am a GMK fanboi).

Also, I had issues with getting it to switch to "Mac mode" (swapped Win & Alt keys). It's not a huge deal, though, and I chalk that up to lack of end user docs for the prototypes. I'll be on the lookout for updated docs or tips on r/mk and GH.

The KeyCon plate was a really classy touch as well, att1cus.
HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | Clueboards | MOD-M Custom | MiniVan | Preonic | Planck | Let's Split | Anne Pro | WASD CODE TKL

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #555 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 05:13:14 »
I'm afraid there's no way I can go flying to Philadelphia, not even for the pleasure of meeting some of you fabulous KPs (Keeb Peeps) I've admired, enjoyed and annoyed now for 700-odd (and I do mean odd) posts.

It's just as well, for if I did attend, the moment I started seeing all of you in person—and, of course, there'd be those fabulous keebs scattered about, let's not forget about them—I'm sure my heart would be filled with so much love, keebly rapture and so on, I'd have to be rushed to a hospital or the lobby bar (preferably the latter) for medication.

For years it was rumoured that the grave of comedian W. C. Fields said I'd Rather Be In Philadelphia. I, too, will be wishing I was there, and not even as an alternative to being dead. May you have a fabulous time. Please type a few characters for me.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline klaushouse

« Reply #556 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 19:44:35 »
As someone who just got into this life drain, I am sad that i live in Toronto.

Anyone want to fly me down? It's my birthday today it's the only fair thing to do.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #557 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 09:02:35 »
Sorry guys. This happened a couple months ago! Come next year or hit up one of your local meetups!

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #558 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:16:43 »
Lol, got all hyped then realized it was over already.... :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: KeyCon 2017!! --> OVER
« Reply #559 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:44:09 »
I updated the thread subject to reflect that this event has already taken place.  ^-^

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #560 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 08:04:17 »
I updated the thread subject to reflect that this event has already taken place.  ^-^

Thanks HOFF - and thanks to everyone else who made the vent a success - I had a blast hosting it :)

Offline tjcertified

« Reply #561 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 16:25:20 »
Very cool! Thanks for posting pics. Did you guys actually get to make keys? That looked awesome.

Offline Miotch92

« Reply #562 on: Sat, 09 September 2017, 02:48:56 »
2018 Vegas Keycon PLEASE!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Offline JP

« Reply #563 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 12:47:13 »
Dang, I missed all this fun. Yeah, Vegas 2018!
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #564 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 01:03:30 »
Vegas is great because most of the country can fly there cheap and convention space is plentiful. That being said, att1cus can host keycon every year as far as I'm concerned... he (and his helpers of course) did a remarkable job  :thumb:
-Dana

Offline JP

« Reply #565 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 06:34:05 »
Is there any video of the presentations for those who didn't make it this year?
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #566 on: Mon, 25 September 2017, 21:57:11 »
Is there any video of the presentations for those who didn't make it this year?

A couple people were live streaming, not sure if anyone recorded.