Author Topic: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)  (Read 774232 times)

Offline TerryMathews

Re: [GB]EXENT - 65% made by TARO (In production)
« Reply #2350 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 15:44:13 »
My guess is you're shorting the bootloader key, which is the "top left key in the matrix". I can check tonight, but it'd likely be ESC or l_ctrl.

Control has so many pads, I'd check there first. Have a multimeter?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2351 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:48:23 »
My guess is you're shorting the bootloader key, which is the "top left key in the matrix". I can check tonight, but it'd likely be ESC or l_ctrl.

Control has so many pads, I'd check there first. Have a multimeter?

Yeah I've got a multimeter. What am I looking for? It's supposed to be LCRTL for the Exent, as far as Catweewee's guide says.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #2352 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 17:27:30 »
Put it in continuity mode and see if the upper and lower pins show continuity. Without the switch depressed, they shouldn't.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2353 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:04:24 »
Put it in continuity mode and see if the upper and lower pins show continuity. Without the switch depressed, they shouldn't.

Upper and lower pins...I want to be certain I'm doing the right thing. Can you circle on my PCB image what I need to be checking continuity between?

Oh wait I read that wrong. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean. I already have checked that, no continuity error on any switch.

I just rechecked every one of them. No shorted switches. What else can I look for?
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:14:43 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2354 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:25:39 »

Anyway, I think this should be the firmware you want https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases/tag/V1.4.0

Which one of those zip files? And split or not split?

Couple new pieces of information.

- From the third zip file in the link in that quote, firming my pcb up with the ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex file breaks the exent so badly I have to restart my computer for even my other keyboard to start working again.

- Reflashed exent with the firmware in the Exent-bootmapper-master folder given to us by catweewee. Back to mostly broken but not computer-breaking order.

- Realized that when I plug the exent in to my compute, it outputs the ESC key. Actually it outputs the row/col data for the escape key, but basically when I plug the Exent in it thinks the escape key is pressed down.

« Last Edit: Wed, 21 February 2018, 21:42:41 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2355 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 07:32:59 »
@Pancake: Try this please.

• Disconnect your Exent if connected
  • Open EK switch hitter or some kind of program like that to identify keypresses
  • Connect your Exent and see if switch hitter receives ESC, TAB, Block Mayus, Left Shift, etc
  • Write that down and give us the results. Then open Bootmapper client, last version
  • Go here ( https://meckeyalpha.com/pages/guide-on-bootmapper-client#remap ) and follow the steps in Bootmapper Mode.
  • When hitting the keys while in bootmapper mode, see if the ESC, TAB, etc keys register properly (as in highlighting the correct position) or do anything else. Compare it with the other keys and post results. Screen caps if possible
  • Upload a new layout, even if it's just random rubbish
  • Make sure to uncheck the togge bootmapper mode after uploading it
  • Disconnect the board and repeat the first 4 steps

You can also try to change ESC, TAB, etc. keys to just letters and open a notepad before connecting the board to see if it sends the keycodes when plugged in. I remember that happened to me once, but a reflash solved that.

Reading your last messages, it kind of seems you are shorting somehow the keys to put it in bootmapper mode, so toggle-in out of it with the bootmapper client should get your keyboard out of that state.

Hope this helps man

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #2356 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 10:24:04 »

Anyway, I think this should be the firmware you want https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases/tag/V1.4.0

- From the third zip file in the link in that quote, firming my pcb up with the ps2avrGB_NKRO.hex file breaks the exent so badly I have to restart my computer for even my other keyboard to start working again.

- Reflashed exent with the firmware in the Exent-bootmapper-master folder given to us by catweewee. Back to mostly broken but not computer-breaking order.

- Realized that when I plug the exent in to my compute, it outputs the ESC key. Actually it outputs the row/col data for the escape key, but basically when I plug the Exent in it thinks the escape key is pressed down.

Check that key for a short.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #2357 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:04:41 »

I'd go for GB first, which it sounds like you already did, then GB4U. Not split.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2358 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 11:41:35 »

I'd go for GB first, which it sounds like you already did, then GB4U. Not split.

The GB version I tried completely broke everything. I'll try the others, see what the do.

- ESC key is not shorted.

- I'll try other suggestions over the weekend

« Reply #2359 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 12:24:14 »

The GB version I tried completely broke everything. I'll try the others, see what the do.

Yeh I'd try from bottom upwards basically. What controller does it use exactly? I'm assuming one of the megas? Might be worth speaking to the guy who made EasyAVR in this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0, seems to be really knowledgeable and helpful. Also, would it not be possible to just use flip and reload/use a different firmware?

Offline Traveler

« Reply #2360 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:14:44 »

You guys have any news? The last thing we heard was almost two weeks ago about "most" of the aluminum basic kits shipping out, and that invoices were going to be updated. How is that coming along? We're still completely in the dark about the Premium kits as well, and have been for nearly a month. A solid timeline and thorough explanation to what has and is happening would be incredibly appreciated.

Last we've seen from Juahenza was January 2nd. Seven weeks of absence and counting is a bit concerning. Is he still running the GB? Does he have any info for us?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2361 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 13:16:57 »

Yeh I'd try from bottom upwards basically. What controller does it use exactly? I'm assuming one of the megas? Might be worth speaking to the guy who made EasyAVR in this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0, seems to be really knowledgeable and helpful. Also, would it not be possible to just use flip and reload/use a different firmware?

Atmega32AU I believe? I'll send that guy a message.  I don't know how to use flip.

Offline Katanadog

« Reply #2362 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:18:42 »
Has anyone with the alu bottoms gotten a tracking number?

« Reply #2363 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:23:13 »
I certainly haven't

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2364 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:33:48 »
I certainly haven't

Neither have I.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
« Reply #2365 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:35:02 »
Nothing for me either, patience is running out at this point. Been so long without an update on something already made...

Offline ctzn_voyager

« Reply #2366 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:01:06 »
No tracking here either. Hope this doesn't turn into another Smart68 situation.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2367 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:33:04 »

Atmega32AU I believe? I'll send that guy a message.  I don't know how to use flip.

Pancake, have you tried any of this?

• Open EK switch hitter or some kind of program like that to identify keypresses
  • Connect your Exent and see if switch hitter receives ESC, TAB, Block Mayus, Left Shift, etc
  • Write that down and give us the results. Then open Bootmapper client, last version
  • Go here ( https://meckeyalpha.com/pages/guide-on-bootmapper-client#remap ) and follow the steps in Bootmapper Mode.
  • When hitting the keys while in bootmapper mode, see if the ESC, TAB, etc keys register properly (as in highlighting the correct position) or do anything else. Compare it with the other keys and post results. Screen caps if possible

You can also try to change ESC, TAB, etc. keys to just letters and open a notepad before connecting the board to see if it sends the keycodes when plugged in. I remember that happened to me once, but a reflash solved that.

Reading your last messages, it kind of seems you are shorting somehow the keys to put it in bootmapper mode, so toggle-in out of it with the bootmapper client should get your keyboard out of that state.

Hope this helps man

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #2368 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:34:43 »

What situation was that?

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2369 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:55:18 »

Hope this helps man

Not yet. I'll probably get around to it this evening sometime.

« Reply #2370 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 16:56:13 »

Hope this helps man

+1 this is a sensible troubleshooting step

Offline ctzn_voyager

« Reply #2371 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:45:06 »

What situation was that?

A GB from last year. Half the people got their boards, the other half, well, they never did. The GB runner has been MIA ever since. You can guess which group I fall into.

I've not had any other interactions with the runners of this GB, but it seems their reputations are quite strong around here so I'm not entirely worried.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2372 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:09:08 »

Hope this helps man

So I've effectively done this. I tested it a little bit just now and it confirms the results I've gotten before.

- On plugging in the keyboard, it outputs the row/col info for the ESC key (0,.14 or something). EK picks this up, meaning specifically it picks up that "0", ",",".","1","4" were "pressed."

- Toggling bootmapper off sort of lets me type normally. Like pressing "q" gives me an actual q, not row/col. My guess is EK would pick this up.

- I can in fact download and upload layouts from and to the exent, and typing confirms this. For example I can map "q" to the number "1," and type it out.

- Unplugging then plugging it back in puts me back into the row/col output state, but does retain the programmed layout.

- Left column remains unresponsive.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:10:50 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline dohmain

« Reply #2373 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:28:51 »
o

Hey, I just completed a repair of someone's EXENT PCB with a non-responsive left column.

https://imgur.com/a/rAk4a

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2374 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:05:14 »
o

Hey, I just completed a repair of someone's EXENT PCB with a non-responsive left column.

No ****. I've got pins that look similar on mine. I'm definitely gonna look into this.

Sadly, I don't think that's my problem. I'll touch up the joints anyway but I think contact is good everywhere on the MCU.

How did you end up discovering that?  Were you just looking at the microcontroller and saw the bad joints or did you somehow trace something back to that?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:16:40 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline dohmain

« Reply #2375 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:29:34 »
o

No ****. I've got pins that look similar on mine. I'm definitely gonna look into this.

Sadly, I don't think that's my problem. I'll touch up the joints anyway but I think contact is good everywhere on the MCU.

How did you end up discovering that?  Were you just looking at the microcontroller and saw the bad joints or did you somehow trace something back to that?

I started following the trace from the end of the column. Test for continuity at every via all the way up to the MCU. When I got to the MCU I noticed the lack of soldering and I didn't have any continuity at the pin, but had continuity if I probed the pad right in front of the pin.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2376 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:44:07 »
o

I started following the trace from the end of the column. Test for continuity at every via all the way up to the MCU. When I got to the MCU I noticed the lack of soldering and I didn't have any continuity at the pin, but had continuity if I probed the pad right in front of the pin.

I sort of understand what you just said but it would be a huge, huge favor if you could draw on the picture of my PCB a path of vias I should be testing along. It would really help me out.

Offline dohmain

« Reply #2377 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:57:36 »
o

I sort of understand what you just said but it would be a huge, huge favor if you could draw on the picture of my PCB a path of vias I should be testing along. It would really help me out.

Not that I don't want to help you out... but I've already packed everything up to ship. Also, I don't want to follow the traces again.

I assume you have a multimeter handy. Put that in continuity test mode and put one end to the column pin on the LCTRL position. From there just follow the trace to the next via and check for continuity. Vias are there to continue the circuit on to the other side of the board so look on the other side of the board and follow the trace from the same via to the next. And so on.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2378 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 04:11:04 »

So I've effectively done this. I tested it a little bit just now and it confirms the results I've gotten before.

- On plugging in the keyboard, it outputs the row/col info for the ESC key (0,.14 or something). EK picks this up, meaning specifically it picks up that "0", ",",".","1","4" were "pressed."

- Toggling bootmapper off sort of lets me type normally. Like pressing "q" gives me an actual q, not row/col. My guess is EK would pick this up.

- I can in fact download and upload layouts from and to the exent, and typing confirms this. For example I can map "q" to the number "1," and type it out.

- Unplugging then plugging it back in puts me back into the row/col output state, but does retain the programmed layout.

I can't be 100% sure, but this means to me that there's a short anywhere in the left column, thus putting it in bootmapper mode when plugged in, since you press the LCTRL when pluggin in to put it in bootmapper mode.

The left column was unresponsive at every stage of the troubleshooting? Even in the bootmapper client?

Also, to check continuity you need to put one terminal on a pad of a switch and the other terminal on a pad that should be at the end of the (visible) trace. There are some traces than go to a little hole, that's a via. It's only proposit is to follow the path to the other side of the board, so check connectivity at the via and the flip the PCB to continue. I can't provide a pic now, but I'll try this weekend.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2379 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 09:45:02 »
o

Wow.  Trying to stay positive about this GB until I get my board, but this news is worrisome.

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2380 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 12:20:34 »

I can't be 100% sure, but this means to me that there's a short anywhere in the left column, thus putting it in bootmapper mode when plugged in, since you press the LCTRL when pluggin in to put it in bootmapper mode.

The left column was unresponsive at every stage of the troubleshooting? Even in the bootmapper client?

Also, to check continuity you need to put one terminal on a pad of a switch and the other terminal on a pad that should be at the end of the (visible) trace. There are some traces than go to a little hole, that's a via. It's only proposit is to follow the path to the other side of the board, so check connectivity at the via and the flip the PCB to continue. I can't provide a pic now, but I'll try this weekend.

k. I'm gonna disassemble today.

Offline wtzll

« Reply #2381 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 19:55:46 »
Few days short of 3 months in to the year. Any ****ing news on the basic+alu bottom shipments or what's going on guys?
5975:JP

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2382 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 23:09:25 »
Yo so, I took my Exent apart. I.e. desoldered it again. PCB went back to working. I've no resoldered all the switches in and am currently typing on it.

So, fixed. **** knows what happened, probably a short somewhere like everyone was saying.

Anyway, thanks for the help though, much appreciated the advice.

Oh PS XDA Canvas looks absolutely incredible on it. I though ashen would be perfect for it but these might be even better.

https://imgur.com/a/q0p03
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 February 2018, 23:25:10 by PancakeMSTR »

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #2383 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 00:31:58 »
Yo so, I took my Exent apart. I.e. desoldered it again. PCB went back to working. I've no resoldered all the switches in and am currently typing on it.

So, fixed. **** knows what happened, probably a short somewhere like everyone was saying.

Oh PS XDA Canvas looks absolutely incredible on it. I though ashen would be perfect for it but these might be even better.

Looks great!  Glad you are up and working.  Woot!

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #2384 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:14:50 »

Oh man, I am really glad you got it working, sorry it was such a ****ing hassle. Really loving the Canvas set on it as well, gorgeous board!

Offline PancakeMSTR

« Reply #2385 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:39:20 »

Oh man, I am really glad you got it working, sorry it was such a ****ing hassle. Really loving the Canvas set on it as well, gorgeous board!

Yeah it was a real bastard. Lotta stress thinking I might have a dead PCB and no easy way of replacing it if it comes to that...

But yeah it's purring like a kitty now, green across the board.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #2386 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:30:56 »
It's pretty infuriating that Yuktsi is so active in the tgr910 thread and ignoring simple questions in this one.

Offline Traveler

« Reply #2387 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:47:10 »
Infuriating indeed. Makes me want to PM him to simply get an update or even hijack the thread. But that's rude and in the grand scheme of things two weeks of silence isn't terrible. I really hope patience pays off.

Offline Cerasis

« Reply #2388 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:03:07 »
It's pretty infuriating that Yuktsi is so active in the tgr910 thread and ignoring simple questions in this one.

Now if the actual group buy runner would go on here that'd be great too. 2 months MIA lmao
Bantam44 | M0116 | Miuni32 | EXENT | Un-novatouch'd Novatouch to be fixed

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #2389 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:22:54 »
Now if the actual group buy runner would go on here that'd be great too. 2 months MIA lmao

That'd be the best case scenario indeed. I mean I'm sure Sherry could provide us with an update regarding the GMK sets/switches and their shipping, as could Yuktsi far as the aluminium bottoms and their tracking, but the core of the issue really is the fact that Juahenza has Houdini'd again.

Be nice to hear anything at all, though. Kinda boring to sit and wait for sets that were produced like 5 months ago and a bunch of literal gateron blacks that are completely and entirely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2390 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 16:14:54 »

Very glad to hear you have a working PCB again :) Something was shorted on the left column definitely hahah

Offline gumeraser

« Reply #2391 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:12:07 »
So I just got a PM from Juanhenza...

He said that any GB participants who's kits have not shipped by Feb 22, 2018 (GB payment deadline 1 year anniversary) will have the option of receiving a refund. Holy crap! Good news! Unfortunately the PayPal fee portion of your payment will not be refunded though. So there's one down side.

PP refund randomly came in today :thumb: I haven't heard from juanhenza since that PM though. Good luck everyone else stuck here...

« Reply #2392 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:16:54 »

He said that any GB participants who's kits have not shipped by Feb 22, 2018 (GB payment deadline 1 year anniversary) will have the option of receiving a refund. Holy crap! Good news! Unfortunately the PayPal fee portion of your payment will not be refunded though. So there's one down side.

PP refund randomly came in today :thumb: I haven't heard from juanhenza since that PM though. Good luck everyone else stuck here...
To be honest I'd rather get my board, but either way I'd just like to know what's going on.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #2393 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:35:26 »

Frankly, after a year of financing the production of this board to "merely" receive a refund and then for them to turn around and sell them for more on Oco? I'd be highly pissed.

On a seperate note, I've been thinking about buying a newer larger 3d printer. If I got one big enough to print an EXENT bottom would there be any interest in a replacement printed 3d bottom?
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 19:54:27 by TerryMathews »

Offline Traveler

« Reply #2394 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 20:04:04 »

Curious, when did he send you that first DM?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #2395 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 20:26:24 »

Frankly, after a year of financing the production of this board to "merely" receive a refund and then for them to turn around and sell them for more on Oco? I'd be highly pissed.

On a seperate note, I've been thinking about buying a newer larger 3d printer. If I got one big enough to print an EXENT bottom would there be any interest in a replacement printed 3d bottom?

That's pretty cool of you to offer!

I guess those of us who have yet to receive the boards still needs to hang on and wait :(
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2396 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 06:35:44 »

I'd first like to see a prototype, since polycarb and the tipical plastics used for printing are quite different, but I definitely prefer a not-broken one over a damaged one

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #2397 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 08:18:16 »
I may be able to cast a few if there is a real need, have to get my kits in the mail first though...

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #2398 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 08:23:52 »
I may be able to cast a few if there is a real need, have to get my kits in the mail first though...

the birb man! didn't know you were waiting as well. If you have a premium kit I think we won't have casted bottoms in at least 3 more months

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #2399 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 09:56:18 »
No premo kit here,

Just a Silver base with brass weight and a black base with brass weight + black aluminum bottom.

Think i'm at least soon on the shipping docket.