Author Topic: [IC] Geek Hackathon - Various Keyboard Contests - Taking Suggestions  (Read 49098 times)

Offline RocketGruntJake

• Brb, gotta grow some flowers
GEEK HACKATHON

What is Geek Hackathon?

Geek Hackathon right now is just an idea for some fun keyboard related competitions to be held at Keycon 2017. The idea is to come up with a few competitions that anyone can take part in at Keycon this year. Hopefully we can collectively come up with 4-6 events that encapsulate several aspects of this hobby we all love so much.

Events

Cap Off

This will be a competition where the entrants are all given a word and have 30 minutes(or any agreed on amount of time) to sculpt an artisan that fits with that word. The Winner will be chosen by everyone at Keycon by vote based on a few categories. Hopefully we can make molds for the caps made and cast a few as giveaways for the day!

Tenkeyless Dress Up

Classic keyboard competition where entrants are timed putting keycaps onto a tenkeyless board. Winner is the one who does it fastest. Mistakes add a set amount of time. Etc. We would probably want a cheap donor board and some tai hao caps.

Artisan Examination

This would be a sort of trivia where you have to identify artisans based on pictures. If we want a hard mode we can include the colorway. This would a more relaxed competition that would be fun for all.

Your Ideas!

We need more ideas of fun competitions to round out Geek Hackathon! Lets hear your ideas in the comments!

Prizes

Of course we would have prizes for the winners, this could be a group effort or I can cast some kind of trophy cap specifically for the event just for funsies. This can be a part of the discussion about making Geek Hackathon a reality!

Thanks for checking out this post. Once we get some good feedback I'll create a google form to narrow down events and gather some more information!

-RocketGruntJake

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Geek Hackathon - Various Keyboard Contests - Taking Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 20:58:10 »
I really like the idea for Cap Off and Tenkeyless Dress Up! For the Cap Off, I think we should throw in some kind of handicap like sculpting on our non-dominant hand with a toothpick or a seashell or something silly like that.

Offline Avalai

• Instagram
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 22:53:43 »
1 - Bingo: Get a list of some uncommon caps/boards/other that people will be bringing, and make a bingo sheet out of them.

2 - Crowdsourced sculpting: pass around a sculpt and let everyone add 1 thing, such as a line, adding a piece...

3 - There was a mention of a soldering contest, which is cool, but would take a bit more planning that I'm not knowledgeable enough to source.

I'm pretty sure I had a couple of other ideas, maybe they'll come back to me when I'm less tired. I like the suggested ideas above as well.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:02:42 »
Blindfolded artisan keycap identifying would be fun

The same thing could be done with switches where we put a random selection of stock switches into a switch tester with keycaps so you can't see the stems.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:04:56 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 April 2017, 23:17:50 »
I love all of these ideas :)  can we do them all

Offline Encabulator

[IC] Geek Hackathon - Various Keyboard Contests - Taking Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 00:11:55 »
What about a keyboard Identification contest? Either images or the real thing will be shown with the stickers and logos blocked off.

Blindfolded switch/keycap profile guessing, The first person to identify the switch, profile and keycap material of said keyboard wins.

I say for prizes cast limited edition artisans with a medal/trophy on it with a number/color correlating to their performance (1st Gold with a little #1 maybe GHATON somewhere on there)

Or how about for a bit of fun the classic "Guess the amount of X in the jar" But with switches or keycaps.

Keyboard jeopardy! Just normal jeopardy but with keyboard categories. (Contestant "I'll take ALPS for 300" Host:"What type of switch is found in a dell at101?"

Just some stupid ideas I had :(
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 00:13:41 »
Scavenger hunt for boards/artisans. A couple of us can compile a quick list once there are a fair number set up and print it out. Completed form gets a raffle entry into some giveaway

Offline AlexAtPanc

• Panc Interactive
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:55:09 »
I'd be interested in sponsoring another hand-wire race. I think that went over well the last time it was on a stream; would be cool to do it live, assuming the facilities permits that kinda thing.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 13:01:03 »
Dress up with qwerty, dvorak and colemak rounds.  Workman layout for a tie breaker.

You could reduce the time for each of the rounds by partially populating the boards before the start.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline flameray

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:39:39 »
I have a g710+ and some miami taihao keycaps that I don't need

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 10:58:19 »
I have a g710+ and some miami taihao keycaps that I don't need

That could be the perfect board!

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 11:00:11 »
I'll be creating a google form in the coming days that will include several of the possible events to gauge interest. I will be adding some more details for each of these proposed events in the form and in the OP. SO stay tuned. The response seems well so I'd like to go forward with creating a few events for the day at Keycon!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 18:52:59 »
I'll be creating a google form in the coming days that will include several of the possible events to gauge interest. I will be adding some more details for each of these proposed events in the form and in the OP. SO stay tuned. The response seems well so I'd like to go forward with creating a few events for the day at Keycon!

Thanks jake!

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 19:52:21 »
Look forward to it!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 23:38:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:58:47 by alienman82 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 April 2017, 21:12:48 »
I would suggest something like blind switch guessing?  guess what switch you are using?  I dunno

i would win this
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 10:28:59 »
I would suggest something like blind switch guessing?  guess what switch you are using?  I dunno

i would win this

Challenge accepted :0

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 11:07:57 »
TKL Dress up sounds like a lot of fun. Also having a scavenger hunt or a keyboard bingo type deal would be pretty fun too.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:45:09 »

i would win this

I was going to suggest this. I have Reds from 8 different vendors, Blues from 7, Blacks from 7, Browns from 6, and a bunch of others switches. I'd have to make a testing board for people to play on, but it could be fun.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 17:23:27 »
head to head Mario Teaches Typing? is that a thing?  :))
-Dana

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 19:48:17 »
Fake artisan ID?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 20:14:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 12:55:20 by alienman82 »

Offline KACHAKEYS

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:45:14 »
Im new here, so Hello!

Definitely going to attend, and bring some goodies with me, and would love to check out the keycap contest!

May I suggest some form of trivia game? Perhaps something like getting stills from movies/tv shows with mechanical keyboards and trying to identify them?
Or maybe something like a Switch tester game where you have a switch tester in a box and you are allowed to press the switches and you have to guess which is which by feel alone?

-Kacha

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:16:19 »
Alrighty, we should start to finalize what contests are going to take place here and how they're going to be run.  Jake, would you m ind prepping that form you mentioned?

Offline RocketGruntJake

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 09:05:33 »
Alrighty, we should start to finalize what contests are going to take place here and how they're going to be run.  Jake, would you m ind prepping that form you mentioned?

I'll have that done by the end of the day today!
I'll bring in all the suggestions from the thread, we can decide on maybe 4 or 5 different events to run throughout the day. All can be decided by the form.

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 09:06:55 »

I'll have that done by the end of the day today!
I'll bring in all the suggestions from the thread, we can decide on maybe 4 or 5 different events to run throughout the day. All can be decided by the form.

Thanks so much for your help on this Jake.