Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING  (Read 104473 times)

Offline zslane

It's pretty dry this time of year in Los Angeles, and I've not experienced any static discharge from my powder-coated cases. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
for now, i've added shelf liner to the whole bottom and sorbothane washers in the corners.  seems to make it happen at least less often.  i'm probably going to try a bigger sheet of sorbothane.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
for now, i've added shelf liner to the whole bottom and sorbothane washers in the corners.  seems to make it happen at least less often.  i'm probably going to try a bigger sheet of sorbothane.

put it on a desk mat with a rubber bottom, should make it harder for the keyboard to ground

although, just speculation
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline energyd

Just realized that I got the R2 RR case instead of R2.5, is that the left over from last round?

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Just realized that I got the R2 RR case instead of R2.5, is that the left over from last round?

They're all made from the same pool of parts at the powder coater, as they got a running start on r2.5 by coating the few remaining r2 components before they started using the r2.5 milled parts, which arrived a bit later. The parts from those two rounds are all made to the same specs and no effort was taken to keep them separate, so I don't believe that any distinction is meaningful.

In some of the powder coated cases you can see a residual imprint on the interior of the laser-engraved country of origin label, which is perhaps what led you to this conclusion if you got one of those, but this is just because I ordered extra anodized cases (which are required to have the laser engraving), knowing that some would not pass my QC checks due to anodizing spots and would instead go to powder coating to be refinished. This was true of both rounds, however, so even if you saw the residual imprint on the interior, it isn't a clear indicator of which round it came from. It's also (FWIW) not a sign of any defect, as the powder coating refinishing process is completely effective and quite rigorous.

Offline energyd

They're all made from the same pool of parts at the powder coater, as they got a running start on r2.5 by coating the few remaining r2 components before they started using the r2.5 milled parts, which arrived a bit later. The parts from those two rounds are all made to the same specs and no effort was taken to keep them separate, so I don't believe that any distinction is meaningful.

In some of the powder coated cases you can see a residual imprint on the interior of the laser-engraved country of origin label, which is perhaps what led you to this conclusion if you got one of those, but this is just because I ordered extra anodized cases (which are required to have the laser engraving), knowing that some would not pass my QC checks due to anodizing spots and would instead go to powder coating to be refinished. This was true of both rounds, however, so even if you saw the residual imprint on the interior, it isn't a clear indicator of which round it came from. It's also (FWIW) not a sign of any defect, as the powder coating refinishing process is completely effective and quite rigorous.

Thanks for the explanation! The case itself is flawless, I'm just curious. One thing I noticed though is that the board could move a little inside the case when I hold and move the case back and forth. I guess it can be resolved by putting some foam-rubber cushion?

Offline norbauer

Thanks for the explanation! The case itself is flawless, I'm just curious. One thing I noticed though is that the board could move a little inside the case when I hold and move the case back and forth. I guess it can be resolved by putting some foam-rubber cushion?

My pleasure. :)

Yes, the play between the plate and case is intentional tolerance to account for observed manufacturing variances in the CM plates. However, many people tend to do just as you suggest: a bit of shelf liner or other foam will hold it firmly in place (and also has an added effect of improved acoustical qualities).  :cool:

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Any idea when the remaining powder coated cases are looking like they'll ship  ;D

Offline HighNoon

Any idea when the remaining powder coated cases are looking like they'll ship  ;D

Was just thinking about this. C'mon enigma gray and astrophysical purple!

Offline deterouni

Was just thinking about this. C'mon enigma gray and astrophysical purple!

Also waiting on a grey.  I am also a replacement from the r2 gb.  Its been a really long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Offline TheEerieCold

I was also wondering. I believe he was out of town last week so hopefully he can get us an update today.  ;D
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

I was also wondering. I believe he was out of town last week so hopefully he can get us an update today.  ;D

Yup, just arrived back in the Bay Area late last night. I'll be catching up on emails and stopping down at the powder shop later today. Please stand by for a further update soon. :)

Offline zslane

Its been a really long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Ryan's cases are definitely worth the wait. Having said that, knowing they are worth it in the end does not really ease the discomfort associated with the really long waiting period, so I feel your pain.

Hell, I'm still waiting for Round 6 keycaps that I ordered nearly 2.5 years ago. Will they be worth it in the end? To me, absolutely, but the interminable waiting still drives me insane, and I hate it with the white hot intensity of a million suns.

Offline norbauer

Its been a really long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Ryan's cases are definitely worth the wait. Having said that, knowing they are worth it in the end does not really ease the discomfort associated with the really long waiting period, so I feel your pain.

Hell, I'm still waiting for Round 6 keycaps that I ordered nearly 2.5 years ago. Will they be worth it in the end? To me, absolutely, but the interminable waiting still drives me insane, and I hate it with the white hot intensity of a million suns.

The wait time for a Ferrari is two years. I say embrace the pleasure of anticipating getting an ultra-rare niche weird thing that other less patient people can't readily have. :) When I participate in pre-orders and group buys (both inside the keyboard world and in other domains), this is how I like to think about it anyway. Since the realities of ultra-small-scale manufacturing mean there's not much that can be done about it anyway, might as well try to view the proverbial glass as half-full.  :cool:

Offline arhetue

Realized I never posted pics of my round 1 custom anodized cobalt blue - Ryan, I don't recall but was this the only/first blue housing?

Here it is, my Norbauer custom anodized brushed blue v1 housing; holding a silenced, lubed, 55g domeswapped novatouch; using Dangerzone with a Junktown Esc

https://imgur.com/a/XdiQp

Offline norbauer

I spoke with the powder coater yesterday and while I was away in NYC last week they did manage to finish up some more cases. However, they still have a few more enigma gray cases to finish, so I'm waiting for the full batch to be ready before I drive there to pick them up. I encouraged them to make that this week, but we'll see. :rolleyes:

Realized I never posted pics of my round 1 custom anodized cobalt blue - Ryan, I don't recall but was this the only/first blue housing?

If it was from Round 1, it was probably among the first couple, yes. I had actually forgotten that I did blue in the first round at all! Your setup looks awesome.

Offline zslane

Space Station White Norbatouch (silenced) + Plum Numpad w/ MT3 /dev/tty keycaps:

188570-0

I'm still getting used to the Hi-Pro dishing, but overall I have to say that this is the best feeling and sounding keyboard I own at this point. It's a match made in keyboard heaven.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
Space Station White Norbatouch (silenced) + Plum Numpad w/ MT3 /dev/tty keycaps:

(Attachment Link)

I'm still getting used to the Hi-Pro dishing, but overall I have to say that this is the best feeling and sounding keyboard I own at this point. It's a match made in keyboard heaven.

Did you do anything special in terms of lubing the sliders?
I find my SA profile keys tend to stick a bit right at the top :(

Offline zslane

I did not lube the sliders, no. They were already slightly lubed from the factory. I did, however, lube the stabilizer arms under the plate. I have not noticed any scratchiness or sticky slider behavior.

Offline Peiweisgreat

Dang the astro purp cases would be last haha. Probably because of the low number of orders, but I can smell the sweet sweet norbatouch goodness from here. Super excited to finally be getting my case in soon. Might give me a reason to start using my novatouch again haha.

Offline zslane

These Norbauer cases really enhance the performance of a Novatouch. I think it's because they provide such a rigid platform for the board, and so the resulting tactility feels more pronounced than when the board sits in its (more flexible) plastic case. Plus, with the shelf-padding I put in the bottom of the case, lots of extraneous noise is deadened, and the experience of typing on this keyboard with really thick, high-profile PBT keycaps is absolutely sublime.

Offline TheEerieCold

Dang the astro purp cases would be last haha. Probably because of the low number of orders, but I can smell the sweet sweet norbatouch goodness from here. Super excited to finally be getting my case in soon. Might give me a reason to start using my novatouch again haha.
I am just as excited for my astrophysicial purple, I've got some serious plans once it arrives.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline MajorKoos

I did not lube the sliders, no. They were already slightly lubed from the factory. I did, however, lube the stabilizer arms under the plate. I have not noticed any scratchiness or sticky slider behavior.

Got ya.  That gives me hope.
I'm assuming a thin lube?

Offline zslane

I use Krytox GPL 205 for lubing stabilizer arms.

Offline regionfree

Noticed that the plate of the novatouch is thinner than the leopold and realforce plates, and thus produce a higher pitched sound. The topre housings could also be removed from the plate without damaging the housings.

Would be nice if we could get replacement plates for this.

Offline MajorKoos

It looks like there are a few cases left in the store?

Offline TheEerieCold

Correct, I believe those were the leftovers that he said he would have done at the same time as the rest. Looks like only purple and tan are left though.

Offline MajorKoos

Correct, I believe those were the leftovers that he said he would have done at the same time as the rest. Looks like only purple and tan are left though.

I grabbed the last gray one - couldn't wait.

Has anyone done a drawing of the plate for the Novatouch yet?
Thinking of brass...

Offline HighNoon

Any update on the remaining powder colors?

Offline norbauer

Got all or most of the enigma grays today, and some whites. I'll pack those up tomorrow.

Offline strigif0rm3s

Got all or most of the enigma grays today, and some whites. I'll pack those up tomorrow.
What about the "extra" retro refrigerators (i ordered late) Did they ship? Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline deterouni

Oh man so excited! Thanks for the consistent updates. It's extremely refreshing.

Offline flyingalbatross1

Got my shipping notification today, Engima Grey winging it's way to the UK!

Now i've got to go and get another CM Pro S because I gave my original one away  ;D

Just in time for XDA Godspeed which should be arriving soon-ish as well.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
I love Royal Wrinkle- any plans for round 3? Would Royal Wrinkle be available?
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:14:33 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline TheEerieCold

There will be no more rounds, this was the last one.

On that note, are the purple cases the last batch to be done? Only asking as that was the remaining color that was purchasable on your website up until earlier this week. I'd love to have mine before the end of the month but we are at the mercy of the shop it seems.

Offline norbauer

There will be no more rounds, this was the last one.

On that note, are the purple cases the last batch to be done? Only asking as that was the remaining color that was purchasable on your website up until earlier this week. I'd love to have mine before the end of the month but we are at the mercy of the shop it seems.

Honestly, the extras that were available on the online store isn't an indication of anything, really, other than the numbers I somewhat randomly allocated at the outset. We are indeed at the mercy of the shop, but I talk to them multiple times a week and I know they're doing their best. I'd expect purple to be up next month, as Galaxy Console and RR are before it, and they seem to be going at the rate of one color batch per week on average these days. I'm going to go down to the shop next week to film the Galaxy Console coating and will of course post footage here once I have a chance to edit it together. Once you guys see how much work and care goes into powder coating these cases, I think you'll appreciate why it takes a while. :)

It's one of my favorites too, but I'm sorry to say that I have no r3 planned. My working plan is to do designs from now on as sort of one-time limited edition type affairs. Not only is it more creatively satisfying for me to be able to tackle different types of projects rather than what can sometimes feel like just running a production assembly line, but it also allows me to serve a wider array of desires and people--plus, I feel it kind of makes the cases I do make a bit more rare and special. As I've always said way back to the IC for r1, my goal is not to make commodities or to try to maximize number of sales but to try to create some cool and super-niche objects that might not otherwise exist.

Offline MoebiuS451

On its way !  :thumb:

Ryan, can you provide the repartition of colors made on each round ? Seems that there was no Ferrari motor red at all ?
The picture was a mockup or a pre-serie ?

Offline HighNoon

Ryan, can you provide the repartition of colors made on each round ? Seems that there was no Ferrari motor red at all ?

IIRC it was an available color in R2.5 but no one ordered it.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

IIRC it was an available color in R2.5 but no one ordered it.

only pexon, but yeah
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline energyd

(Attachment Link)

agree, only thing I'd like to have is programmability

Offline millifoo

I'm going to go down to the shop next week to film the Galaxy Console coating and will of course post footage here once I have a chance to edit it together. Once you guys see how much work and care goes into powder coating these cases, I think you'll appreciate why it takes a while. :)

Oh, excellent! Can't wait to see this!

Offline macclack

• Macclack
Got my space station white case yesterday. I had high expectations for the quality of these cases, but I totally underestimated. They're suuuuper well-made. Nice job Ryan.  :thumb:

Offline adsfqwer

It's one of my favorites too, but I'm sorry to say that I have no r3 planned. My working plan is to do designs from now on as sort of one-time limited edition type affairs. Not only is it more creatively satisfying for me to be able to tackle different types of projects rather than what can sometimes feel like just running a production assembly line, but it also allows me to serve a wider array of desires and people--plus, I feel it kind of makes the cases I do make a bit more rare and special. As I've always said way back to the IC for r1, my goal is not to make commodities or to try to maximize number of sales but to try to create some cool and super-niche objects that might not otherwise exist.

I totally understand your position. Making the same things forever wouldn't be very satisfying. I just signed up to say these cases are cool AF and I hope it inspires someone else to carry the torch.

Damn, I step out of the keyboard game for a bit and I miss this *and* dev/tty MT3  :eek:

Offline HighNoon

https://imgur.com/gallery/hREQe

Got my enigma grey R2 replacement case yesterday! Long wait but it was worth it. Perfect match for GMK Carbon. Thanks Ryan!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 17:14:23 by HighNoon »

Offline zslane

Got my enigma grey R2 replacement case yesterday! Long wait but it was worth it. Perfect match for GMK Carbon. Thanks Ryan!

Nice!

I think Carbon looks great matched up with a dark gray case. I'm looking forward to setting up the same thing when my SA Carbon (r2) keycaps arrive and I can put them on my tactical gray case.

Offline deterouni

Hey Ryan. I got my grey case in yesterday, and I absolutely love it!  Thanks for doing this, and be a complete professional throughout the whole process. Your an amazing GB runner and the community is lucky to have you. Cheers!

Offline norbauer

Hey Ryan. I got my grey case in yesterday, and I absolutely love it!  Thanks for doing this, and be a complete professional throughout the whole process. Your an amazing GB runner and the community is lucky to have you. Cheers!

Thanks so much for the kind words and for supporting my project, guys. I'm so glad you got the cases and like them! :)

Offline MoebiuS451

Received it yesterday !

Newton compliant

With miTo XDA PBT keycaps.
It was worth the wait !
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 06:30:17 by MoebiuS451 »

Offline zslane

That looks fantastic!

You know, I always wondered what the larger screws were for; it never occurred to me that they were meant to help secure the board to the bottom section.

Offline aspenc4

[GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING
« Reply #349 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 05:34:27 »
Ryan, thanks so much for your work on this; it’s the epitome of perfect as far as I’m concerned.

https://imgur.com/a/PFaK8