Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 250003 times)

Offline chakku

• airi.su
Was there any further testing done with foams for damping or is the Silverstone stuff still the best bet?

Also fingers crossed I get my notification on Monday, ordered 25/11/17

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Was there any further testing done with foams for damping or is the Silverstone stuff still the best bet?

Also fingers crossed I get my notification on Monday, ordered 25/11/17

Silverstone is what I'm using on mine and I quite like it.

I have been editing the assembly/instructions video today and still have a few anodized cases to ship. Hopefully I'll have a chance to finish those up tonight, but there's a chance the last few (which I believe are all international, aerospace aluminum) won't get shipped until tomorrow (i.e., shipping Tuesday), depending on how long this video takes to edit together. ;)

Offline chakku

• airi.su

This stuff? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040JHMH6/

but there's a chance the last few (which I believe are all international, aerospace aluminum) won't get shipped until tomorrow (i.e., shipping Tuesday)

Hmm, my one was Tactical Black, I requested the address change last week and you did mention it would be shipping then, not part of that last batch?

Offline norbauer

Affirmative.

Hmm, my one was Tactical Black, I requested the address change last week and you did mention it would be shipping then, not part of that last batch?

I've probably already shipped it then and you should get the notification on Monday. If for some reason you don't get a notification on Monday, just send me an email to shop@norbauer.com and I'll investigate.  :D

Offline HotRoderX

Affirmative.

I've probably already shipped it then and you should get the notification on Monday. If for some reason you don't get a notification on Monday, just send me an email to shop@norbauer.com and I'll investigate.  :D

Does the silverstone stuff mute the thock are just the reverb? I like the thock

Offline chakku

• airi.su

Affirmative.

Thanks Ryan, I hope you enjoy your well earned rest in between shipments in the meantime.

Offline norbauer

Affirmative.

Does the silverstone stuff mute the thock are just the reverb? I like the thock

Oh, the thock is definitely still there. It just cuts down on internal case echo a bit, if that's a thing you notice (I generally don't ).

Offline norbauer

Thanks Ryan, I hope you enjoy your well earned rest in between shipments in the meantime.

Hehe. Thanks very much! I'll rest later this week. :)

Here is the assembly/unboxing video, by the way. Finally finished it up late last night.

« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2018, 08:33:37 by norbauer »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Nice video, Ryan!

You're not making the wait any easier!  ;D
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline Kerasan

Here is the assembly/unboxing video, by the way. Finally finished it up late last night.

WOW...  :eek:

I have only one question, is there also a custom cable or is it no longer included?

KMK Labs.

Offline norbauer

The pictured cable is included. However, on arrival of the production units, last week I did some testing and found a high functional defect rate on those cables. (Many of them simply don’t work when plugged in, despite the samples from the factory having worked perfectly.) So I scrambled to source another few hundred USB-C cables from a company here in California, which I have also included in the box, along with a custom-printed card explaining why two cables are included. The metal-ended cable you get may work, but in my experience it’s a bit of a crapshoot, but a backup cable is included just in case. My tests of those cables have yet to find one that doesn’t work.

Of course, the factory hasn’t offered a refund for all those (relatively expensive) cables with the high defect rate. And I didn’t have time to get identical replacements without holding the cases for shipment longer than would have been optimal. -_- Apologies to anyone who was particularly keen on the original cable. (I was too.)

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
The pictured cable is included. However, on arrival of the production units, last week I did some testing and found a high functional defect rate on those cables. (Many of them simply don’t work when plugged in, despite the samples from the factory having worked perfectly.) So I scrambled to source another few hundred USB-C cables from a company here in California, which I have also included in the box, along with a custom-printed card explaining why two cables are included. The metal-ended cable you get may work, but in my experience it’s a bit of a crapshoot, but a backup cable is included just in case. My tests of those cables have yet to find one that doesn’t work.

Of course, the factory hasn’t offered a refund for all those (relatively expensive) cables with the high defect rate. And I didn’t have time to get identical replacements without holding the cases for shipment longer than would have been optimal. -_- Apologies to anyone who was particularly keen on the original cable. (I was too.)

awww!!! I ordered an extra metal cable too :( so does that means I get 4 cables total now? and both metal cables might not work?

Offline norbauer

awww!!! I ordered an extra metal cable too :( so does that means I get 4 cables total now? and both metal cables might not work?

For the few people who contacted me to get an extra cable, I will be emailing you directly to figure out a good solution, but I was planning on just refunding folks for those.

Offline thelaughingman

For the few people who contacted me to get an extra cable, I will be emailing you directly to figure out a good solution, but I was planning on just refunding folks for those.

Not sure how "few" is that, but maybe you could test enough "few" metal cable and allocate working ones to those who ordered extra? So then that becomes 3 total cables: 1 metal - untested, might work, might not; 1 replacement; and 1 metal - tested, working. Otherwise I'll wait for your email as always :thumb:
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2018, 10:27:28 by thelaughingman »

Offline Kerasan

Sin for the inconvenience!  :'(

they are never good experiences...

however the video increases the hype  :p

KMK Labs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2018, 11:23:43 by Kerasan »

Offline child

Ryan, do you have a better estimate about powder coated cases? Although mine is anodized I did not realize I'll have to wait for powder coated ones if ordered via a proxy :(

Offline anorphirith

Of course, the factory hasn’t offered a refund for all those (relatively expensive) cables with the high defect rate.
hi, just by curiosity, do you have any recourse for this ? in the future how can you prevent this from happening ? there should be a way to keep these Chinese manufacturers in check

Offline Latto

Thanks for the awesome video. Does anyone know what kind of work will have to be done to get a 87U working in the WKL version? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline norbauer

Of course, the factory hasn’t offered a refund for all those (relatively expensive) cables with the high defect rate.
hi, just by curiosity, do you have any recourse for this ? in the future how can you prevent this from happening ? there should be a way to keep these Chinese manufacturers in check

Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, the only recourse really is to keep trying to work less frequently with Chinese factories. I'm still waiting on a reply from the cable factory to my video documentation of the issues with the first batch of cables, but I've encountered similar problems with other such factories in the past. Whenever I ask for a refund or replacement in such circumstances, their usual reply is "every product has a defect rate" and then to offer of some trivial discount on a future order. Obviously, this creates a bad set of incentives, so I've never taken a factory up on such an offer. One could technically sue them in China, but that would far exceed the cost of the cables. I could technically also have put in place a China-side inspection process (like I do on the housings and breakout PCBs themselves) to test the functionality of the cables, but a) it never entered my imagination that such a simple, standard component could have such a huge defect rate and b) again, it would add a lot to the unit cost.

In short, I just had to take the loss and do my best to fix the problem quickly on my own, which meant paying around $1500 to buy alternative cables and getting cards printed to include in the box to explain to folks why they're getting two cables.

I have a fairly good relationship with the factory that does the machining in China and, as most people know, I'm a very vocal supporter of free international trade. However, I find myself increasingly worn down by the prevalent culture of "quality fade" in China in particular (competing on low prices and then making up for it by increasingly and knowingly slipping in rejects). It's a well-known phenomenon that seems specific to the business culture of that country (which I've been reading about a lot lately) and not even something that generalizes to Asia more broadly.

I do my best to insulate people from all the quality problems associated with sourcing stuff in China (which is why I order far more units than I need and personally inspect everything by hand before it goes out), but it all takes its toll, which is why I'm currently working to try to arrange to machine the Heavy-6 (my next housing) here in California, even if it means things cost way more. My goal in my keyboard projects is to create everyday art objects of insanely high quality, and I sadly find myself increasingly feeling that vendors that are part of Chinese business culture to be incompatible with that objective.

Just to needle people who are blindly opposed to free trade, I put "Proudly Made in China" on my boxes, but I suppose I really should have put "A proud product of US-international collaboration," both since a fair amount of the work actually happens here in the US, and because while I'm all about the globalism, when it comes to Chinese manufacturing practices, it's not always a source of delight.

Fortunately, I fight these battles and take the hits on all this so you guys don't have to. :D I take care to make sure that stuff that goes out my front door is something I can be proud of, no matter where it was manufactured or what the defect rate coming out of the factory.

Ryan, do you have a better estimate about powder coated cases? Although mine is anodized I did not realize I'll have to wait for powder coated ones if ordered via a proxy :(

I'm still waiting on a confirmed timeline from the powder coating factory. Their quote said around a month from start of work, but they're currently sourcing all the various powders and tallying up the parts I sent them, after which that clock should begin ticking. :) If you'd like to switch to regular delivery, just send an email to shop@norbauer.com and I'll take care of it for you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 August 2018, 14:31:08 by norbauer »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Just unpacked my Norbaforce a couple minutes ago. I am pretty blown away on the quality of everything from the box to the hard anodization to the instructions and everything in between. Very happy customer here.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Just unpacked my Norbaforce a couple minutes ago. I am pretty blown away on the quality of everything from the box to the hard anodization to the instructions and everything in between. Very happy customer here.

wow, already! very jealous

can't wait to see pics coming in

Offline le_wraith

Ryan,

Is there any way for someone who got both anodized & powder-coated to pay extra shipping expedite delivery of the anodized?

Thanks!

Offline norbauer

Ryan,

Is there any way for someone who got both anodized & powder-coated to pay extra shipping expedite delivery of the anodized?

Thanks!

Yup, it's no problem. I saw your email and will get back to you as soon as I'm done with today's last batch of packing and shipping. :)

Offline typischt

Received shipping notification today. Really hyped!! :)

[...]

In short, I just had to take the loss and do my best to fix the problem quickly on my own, which meant paying around $1500 to buy alternative cables and getting cards printed to include in the box to explain to folks why they're getting two cables.

[...]

I'm sure that if you'd ask people, whether they would be willing to pay for the extra cable, a lot would not mind! I'd surely be willing to pay a little extra for that!

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker

Oof, lucky man!

Where are the pictures, doe?!  ;D
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline thelaughingman

I haven't got any emails, my order is anodized and with extra metal cable. Should I be worried now?

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit

Oof, lucky man!

Where are the pictures, doe?!  ;D

Still waiting on some stuff to finish the build I be doin. . . pictures would be ultimate potato.

Offline w0odyallen

Just got mine this morning!
The unboxing experience was a genuine delight.
The video was super helpful and made setting it up a breeze.
This is a thing of beauty. Made my favorite board even better  ;)
Here's the before and after shot.

PS for what it's worth, my metal cable works just fine
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2018, 14:18:10 by w0odyallen »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Sent you an email via shopify Norbauer, it might be good to check it out.

Offline le_wraith

Ryan,

Thanks!

Yup, it's no problem. I saw your email and will get back to you as soon as I'm done with today's last batch of packing and shipping. :)

Thank you!

Offline thelaughingman

I haven't got any emails, my order is anodized and with extra metal cable. Should I be worried now?

Got the email & refund for the extra cable just now. Ryan always comes through  :thumb:

Offline richard912

I received shipping notification for my hard ano black unit. Any day now . . .

Offline letze

• Here I am~
I received shipping notification for my hard ano black unit. Any day now . . .
Same here. Received it.
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline regionfree

Just received my Aero Alu unit. Still waiting for the Hard Anode Black :D

Offline richard912

Excellent instructional video there Mr Norbauer! Btw, how much of a gap is there between PCB and back cover of the case? Hope it will be able to accommodate a layer of dampening sheet

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
Christmas came early.

Offline salvanipour

Christmas came early.

Awesome! I have an anniversary edition as well with the red WASD, so it's nice to see what this will look like.

Offline Genuine.Senpai

Is there any reasonable chance that there will be another production run of these cases? I'm fairly new to the site and there is a handful of products that I wanted to grab, only to find out that they're well past their purchase time.

Offline thelaughingman

Is there any reasonable chance that there will be another production run of these cases? I'm fairly new to the site and there is a handful of products that I wanted to grab, only to find out that they're well past their purchase time.

Topre is discontinuing the RF R1 and goes with the RF R2 that doesn't work with this case so more likely than not there won't be another run. Having said that, CM discontinued the Novatouch a long time ago and Ryan just recently ran a 4th round of the Norbatouch for it. The moral story here is if you could find enough people to ask Ryan for another run then he might do it :)

Offline mmdango

Topre is discontinuing the RF R1 and goes with the RF R2 that doesn't work with this case so more likely than not there won't be another run. Having said that, CM discontinued the Novatouch a long time ago and Ryan just recently ran a 4th round of the Norbatouch for it. The moral story here is if you could find enough people to ask Ryan for another run then he might do it :)

I too would love another run :)

Offline norbauer

My current plan is not to do another run of these--certainly at least in the short to medium term. However, I do plan to have some in-stock extras available for shipment at some point in the coming month or two. (I think I'll wait until I have the powder cases back and put the extras all up at the same time.)

You can sign up on my email list to find be the first to know when those are available. (Based on all the inquiries I've gotten, I would expect them to sell out more or less instantly.)

Offline chakku

• airi.su
Topre is discontinuing the RF R1

I didn't realize they were discontinuing this in favor of the glorified Type Heaven! Better stock up on these because I can't imagine my board lasting forever, even if the Norbaforce case does..

Offline anorphirith

do you have a weight on the case ?
thanks

Offline thelaughingman

I didn't realize they were discontinuing this in favor of the glorified Type Heaven! Better stock up on these because I can't imagine my board lasting forever, even if the Norbaforce case does..

87u JIS layouts are already marked as discontinued on RF website as R2 JIS was released a while back http://www.realforce.co.jp/products/index_ended.html. So it's safe to assume that with R2 ANSI being released now, in a few weeks/months 87u ANSI would be discontinued as well.

Offline richard912

I'm all set since I have 2 units of RF87. One's been modded with KBDFan sliders while the other is stock. Both are 55g.

Offline Rumblehotep

I'm all set since I have 2 units of RF87. One's been modded with KBDFan sliders while the other is stock. Both are 55g.
Same here although both are stock atm, now I feel vindicated for my lack of self control months ago

Offline Dubbvis

Got mine today, looks/feels/sounds like a dream.

One issue, however. It appears that one side of my plate will not mount flush to the case. It feels like the mounting holes were not deep enough to fully accommodate the screws that were included. Unfortunately, I do not have any washers that would fit and I do not currently have access to tools that would let me grind/cut off enough of the screw to rectify the problem. So the left side of my board bottoms out against the screws and then rebounds up to click against the case housing after I remove the pressure of typing.

I'm talking about around 1-1.5 mm of wiggle so it's not huge, but it is noticeable.

Anyone else notice this? I can deal with it in the interim until I have access to one of the fixes that I listed above, and it's literally the only imperfection I can find.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2018, 22:49:45 by Dubbvis »

Offline norbauer

Got mine today, looks/feels/sounds like a dream.

One issue, however. It appears that one side of my plate will not mount flush to the case. It feels like the mounting holes were not deep enough to fully accommodate the screws that were included. Unfortunately, I do not have any washers that would fit and I do not currently have access to tools that would let me grind/cut off enough of the screw to rectify the problem. So the left side of my board bottoms out against the screws and then rebounds up to click against the case housing after I remove the pressure of typing.

I'm talking about around 1-1.5 mm of wiggle so it's not huge, but it is noticeable.

Anyone else notice this? I can deal with it in the interim until I have access to one of the fixes that I listed above, and it's literally the only imperfection I can find.

Well, that’s not supposed to happen. :) Send me an email over at shop@norbauer.com and let’s figure out a fix. I do have washers that are probably the exact size you need.

Offline awhitedev

Got mine today! Absolutely beautiful packaging... I'm super excited to put this together this weekend.  The only "issue" I've seen so far is that a screw appears to have gotten loose during shipping and it was rolling around in the case. It doesn't appear to have scratched or damaged the case though so it's all good!

Thanks Norbauer for your amazing work. You are awesome!

Offline norbauer

Got mine today! Absolutely beautiful packaging... I'm super excited to put this together this weekend.  The only "issue" I've seen so far is that a screw appears to have gotten loose during shipping and it was rolling around in the case. It doesn't appear to have scratched or damaged the case though so it's all good!

Thanks Norbauer for your amazing work. You are awesome!

hehe. My pleasure!

And, yeah, for some reason the assembly folks decided to be "helpful" and just very loosely screw in place the four flange screws rather than fully attaching them (since they have to be removed and re-installed by the end user), but the downside of this is that occasionally they can work loose during transit. Fortunately, though, as in your case, this is unlikely to cause any damage, especially since the parts of the case that are visible during actual use are all protected by being in direct contact with EVA foam.

Anyway, thanks again, and enjoy the install process. :)