Author Topic: Switch Teardown - Kailh / Novelkeys BOX Navy switches  (Read 3860 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Switch Teardown - Kailh / Novelkeys BOX Navy switches
« on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 02:02:57 »
Got a bunch of these in the post, interesting stuff ^^ . Hope you enjoy the video! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
Re: Switch Teardown - Kailh / Novelkeys BOX Navy switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 13:40:04 »
This was a great video! I cannot wait for a review with a whole board of these.  I was wondering how they compare to Cherry MX Clears? If so then my next board will contain these switches.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 00:04:37 »
Looking forward to your review video on a board full of Navys! :thumb: I actually just bought 100 of these earlier for my upcoming build. The hype been intense around these switches & is looking like it's real so I took the plunge on a batch. Glad to hear you like them so far & I was also blown away at the how huge the tactile event is on the force curve from Hatta. Can't wait to get my batch & see what these switches are all about for myself! :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:14:35 »
This was a great video! I cannot wait for a review with a whole board of these.  I was wondering how they compare to Cherry MX Clears? If so then my next board will contain these switches.

BOX dark orange is closest to MX Clears (stock), based on the NovelKeys sampler (I've not tried Input Club's special switches), but it's not really that similar.  The bump on tactile Kailh switches is rather abrupt and usually close to the top.  Well-defined.  MX Clears have a long duration bump, so to speak: takes more travel distance to overcome the bump.  Can easily float around the actuation point with MX Clears, and bottoming out is cushioned.  BOX Orange (and Brown) are different from MX Clear (and Brown) in that the bump is close to the top, there's a significant amount of resistance, then right after the quick bump there's a smooth travel to bottoming out, which is not really cushioned.  I've only tried 45g Topre, but the style of tactile BOX switches reminds me of Topre, whereas MX switches don't.

Clicky BOX switches are seriously loud!  In comparison, normal Kailh Blue and light Green sound and feel kind of like vintage MX Blues: quiet and loose click.  BOX Navy and Jade are hardcore clicky :). BOX White is loud too, but feels amazing: soft and crisp.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 01:22:37 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 05:25:49 »

BOX dark orange is closest to MX Clears (stock), based on the NovelKeys sampler (I've not tried Input Club's special switches), but it's not really that similar.  The bump on tactile Kailh switches is rather abrupt and usually close to the top.  Well-defined.  MX Clears have a long duration bump, so to speak: takes more travel distance to overcome the bump.  Can easily float around the actuation point with MX Clears, and bottoming out is cushioned.  BOX Orange (and Brown) are different from MX Clear (and Brown) in that the bump is close to the top, there's a significant amount of resistance, then right after the quick bump there's a smooth travel to bottoming out, which is not really cushioned.  I've only tried 45g Topre, but the style of tactile BOX switches reminds me of Topre, whereas MX switches don't.

Clicky BOX switches are seriously loud!  In comparison, normal Kailh Blue and light Green sound and feel kind of like vintage MX Blues: quiet and loose click.  BOX Navy and Jade are hardcore clicky :). BOX White is loud too, but feels amazing: soft and crisp.
Thick clicks are definately loud, but whites and pale blues are not as loud as typical cherry switches. Side by side, my gateron greens are louder than my pale blues. My jades are the loudest clicky switch I own.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 12:15:18 »
Gateron is not Cherry, and are you talking about BOX White or non-BOX?  All the BOX switches I have, including White and Pale Blue, have louder clicks vs Cherry, non-BOX have comparable or softer clicks than Cherry (some are similar to vintage Cherry MX Blue).

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 20:17:00 »
Gateron is not Cherry, and are you talking about BOX White or non-BOX?  All the BOX switches I have, including White and Pale Blue, have louder clicks vs Cherry, non-BOX have comparable or softer clicks than Cherry (some are similar to vintage Cherry MX Blue).
Well, I assumed on the White switches, because I only have pale blues to go on. I guess it is possible the heavier spring makes them not as loud.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 21:26:40 »
I just got in a set of box Jades from Novelkeys, and from playing around with the bare switches, I can already tell these are going to be my favorite Cherry mount switch yet. Light and crisp, with a big tactile drop off and big double click sound. What's not to love?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:17:48 »
Well, I assumed on the White switches, because I only have pale blues to go on. I guess it is possible the heavier spring makes them not as loud.

From the single switch samples I have, it's BOX Pale Blue with the quieter click -> BOX White with slightly higher pitch very slightly louder, more clear click -> BOX Jade with significantly tougher and louder click but more muffled than -> BOX Navy with the loudest and most crisp tough click. 

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 00:01:12 »
I just got in a set of box Jades from Novelkeys, and from playing around with the bare switches, I can already tell these are going to be my favorite Cherry mount switch yet. Light and crisp, with a big tactile drop off and big double click sound. What's not to love?
Yeah, I am typing on mine right now. I love them. I love the massive drop in weight after the click, but that is something that might be more of a rare trait.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 06:06:11 »

I have yet to test the Navy switches out on a board but on my switch tester I agree they are seriously loud, I love clicking switches so this is my jam but I'm feeling they sound very much like clicking a pen. Overall sound wise I still am preferring Zealistotles but the Navy switches are quite a bit louder than them.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 19:55:55 »
If anyone wants to know, I recorded me typing on my kailh jades here, but my recording setup is not high quality, but it seems good enough. The mic is positioned between me and the keyboard, so the volume level is accurately reflected.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 21:54:07 »
Yeah, I am typing on mine right now. I love them. I love the massive drop in weight after the click, but that is something that might be more of a rare trait.
As far as I know, this is the first time we've ever had a Cherry compatible switch with real tactility that rivals buckling spring and Alps. It's a great time to be a tactile/clicky switch lover.