Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 181166 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:46:18 »
Due to popular demand, I will look into how I can offer Cherry-style Icon+Text mods as well.

Yes, well, that demand is coming from folks who lack a singular affinity for the original Space Cadet keyboard, and place Cherry legend conformity above the spirit of the tribute you're paying. However, you've already compromised the OG aesthetic by using corner legends, so I suppose offering Cherry-style mod legends is only one more step up that slippery slope. If you do decide to do this, I would request you put them into their own kit so the cost burden is shouldered only by those who insist on having them.

Cherry-style modifiers will come second in priority, so for example as a 10-key addon kit.

Offline unmuscular_michael

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:47:28 »
YES, PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN

Offline hansichen

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:49:17 »
Icon + text is ugly.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:50:48 »
Icon + text is ugly.

People want what they want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but no worries, like I said it will be optional.

Offline zslane

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:50:57 »
I don't use cylindrical keycaps, but I will absolutely have to have this set. It is Space Cadet after all...  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 15:53:09 »
The price asked by gmk for the alphas (50 keys) is this: 38 USD/set MOQ 150 sets

This is the price as a standalone set. When made as an addon, the price will be considerably lower (at least 20% lower).

i got a quote from GMK last month and it was more than this

The molds have been shared between sets because gmk decided to invest in them. There is no IP because they haven't been paid in full by the group buy leader.

Source? Please link something to prove the validity.

In the Massdrop forum about Redsuns GMK you'll find that the molds are shared between Laser and Redsuns set, and there are threads about gmk investing in them in the Laser forum too.

those are not novelties

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Myoth

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:03:29 »
Due to popular demand, I will look into how I can offer Cherry-style Icon+Text mods as well. I have various ideas on how it could be done, I will investigate how it plays out with pricing. But since this is still a very young IC, don't expect an answer in the coming week or so, just note that I have heard you and will pursue options.

Will you make the ISO enter with a black legend too ? this would be really nice

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:05:25 »
The price asked by gmk for the alphas (50 keys) is this: 38 USD/set MOQ 150 sets

This is the price as a standalone set. When made as an addon, the price will be considerably lower (at least 20% lower).

The molds have been shared between sets because gmk decided to invest in them. There is no IP because they haven't been paid in full by the group buy leader.

In the Massdrop forum about Redsuns GMK you'll find that the molds are shared between Laser and Redsuns set, and there are threads about gmk investing in them in the Laser forum too.

those are not novelties

Your quote was higher because you don't live in europe? How many caps did your set include?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:09:26 »
Due to popular demand, I will look into how I can offer Cherry-style Icon+Text mods as well. I have various ideas on how it could be done, I will investigate how it plays out with pricing. But since this is still a very young IC, don't expect an answer in the coming week or so, just note that I have heard you and will pursue options.

Only the bottom rows are black in the original, Return (both ANSI and ISO) are above those rows.

Offline Myoth

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:11:38 »

Only the bottom rows are black in the original, Return (both ANSI and ISO) are above those rows.

Oh yeah right, my bad  :-[

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:11:54 »
Been waiting for this anxiously. Very very very interested.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline Petch

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:17:21 »
Love the colours but don't really care for the alpha legends. I'd rather it was like Laser with a standard alpha set and an extra alpha set with the legends, rather than another set of the same but in blue

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:18:21 »
Looks great with text only modifiers.  Definitely in for base + blue alphas as is.
keyboards.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:38:28 »
Love the colours but don't really care for the alpha legends. I'd rather it was like Laser with a standard alpha set and an extra alpha set with the legends, rather than another set of the same but in blue

Again, Oblotzky is simply trying to stay faithful to the original design, but in cherry profile. If you want normal Latin alphas, this is not the set you're looking for. Not trying to put your idea down, but it wouldn't be space cadet without these alphas.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:52:19 »
This really is going to be the keyset of the year. Great to finally see this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 16:56:39 »

those are not novelties

Your quote was higher because you don't live in europe? How many caps did your set include?

what?

GMK's prices are the same globally (I've verified this with others), and that's the pricing I got for a 50 key alpha set, like you mentioned.

You confuse me sometimes, giorgio.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:25:30 »
Perhaps a dumb question, but if you're doing all new molds for the alphas, why not orient them as on the original space cadet with alternate symbol directly above letter, instead of diagonal with letter upper left and symbol lower right?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:26:52 »
Perhaps a dumb question, but if you're doing all new molds for the alphas, why not orient them as on the original space cadet with alternate symbol directly above letter, instead of diagonal with letter upper left and symbol lower right?

Putting the primary legend in the top left and secondary in the bottom right is a design pattern established by Cherry for their profile I do not intend to break.

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:28:00 »
Voted for Base set on Massdrop, Anyway no vote option for Novelties?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:31:17 »

Addon kits are of little importance for MD polls, seeing the number of potential buyers of the main kits (base and ergopreonic) is the part that matters the most.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:37:41 »

I can't imagine they'd run this set without offering them. Most GMK sets run with some kind of novelties set so I wouldn't worry.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 17:55:22 »
I guess I know what my tax refund will be used for. Very excited to see this come to fruition.

Offline zslane

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:02:49 »

My guess is that GMK Space Cadet is what we imagine Tom Knight would have created had he put his legends on a modern Cherry-profile keycap family.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:08:30 »
Looks great.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:11:32 »

those are not novelties

what?

GMK's prices are the same globally (I've verified this with others), and that's the pricing I got for a 50 key alpha set, like you mentioned.

It can't be a difference of more than 10%.
They aren't the same. Don't make me talk about VAT for example.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:28:00 »
Voted. I was just looking for Space Cadet caps, and the timing is perfect. Definitely excited for this!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:37:51 »
More

those are not novelties

what?

all GMK quotes are without VAT

i was quoted $44 (after converting from euros, since all GMK quotes are in euros) for 50 keys, which is a difference of more than 10%
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:42:59 by Puddsy »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 18:38:35 »

what?

Please explain.

Prices are the same no matter where you are. VAT is added after if you have to pay VAT.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 19:05:58 »
I'll join for sure. Prefer the text only mods  :thumb: Will also get blue alphas

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 19:51:22 »
Yessss!  I normally prefer icon + text but damn you Oblotzky, just like with Oblivion, I don't mind text only on this.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 20:49:36 »

My guess is that GMK Space Cadet is what we imagine Tom Knight would have created had he put his legends on a modern Cherry-profile keycap family.
I doubt it, because the symbols on the space cadet keyboard were placed where they were to indicate the proper chorded use (e.g. super-a = symbol above a, just like shift-1 = ! on a PC keyboard). The Cherry "corners" method was for alternately  interpreted symbols by the attached computer; something like Cyrillic sublegends for a computer that's set to Russian language. But I understand why esthetically it's being presented this way for this set. Ultimately it doesn't really matter since the symbols are just decorative anyway.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 20:51:31 »
Q: Colevrak kit?
A: Due to the secondary APL legends, a Colevrak kit would need 20+ new molds made as well. With Colevrak kits having an MOQ of 100 and only ever having reached that number once with Laser, we're talking about a 30euro (40-45$ or so) extra, making the kit cost 80-90$.

Are we talking that if we add a Colerak kit, it would cost 40-45$ alone? Or the Colerak kit costs 80-90$ alone? If it's 40-45$, IMO that is not a very high price, considering the previous Colerak kit costs some price at the same level.

This keyset is the set of this year to me personally. Almost perfect except there is no Colevrak kit.

As a Dvorak user, I don't mind to pay more to get this kit up and running. The Space-Cadet theme is rare, the Colerak kit in such a theme is rarer, due to the APL legends. If there is a small chance to get it there, please think twice before putting it away.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:14:09 »
For real - GMK can do that?
I'm in  :thumb:
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:21:14 »
A: Due to the secondary APL legends, a Colevrak kit would need 20+ new molds made as well. With Colevrak kits having an MOQ of 100 and only ever having reached that number once with Laser, we're talking about a 30euro (40-45$ or so) extra, making the kit cost 80-90$.

Are we talking that if we add a Colerak kit, it would cost 40-45$ alone? Or the Colerak kit costs 80-90$ alone? If it's 40-45$, IMO that is not a very high price, considering the previous Colerak kit costs some price at the same level.

This keyset is the set of this year to me personally. Almost perfect except there is no Colevrak kit.

As a Dvorak user, I don't mind to pay more to get this kit up and running. The Space-Cadet theme is rare, the Colerak kit in such a theme is rarer, due to the APL legends. If there is a small chance to get it there, please think twice before putting it away.

Probably a lot more than $50 on its own. My guess is above $75.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
[IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:44:51 »
How many GMK sets would be ahead of this on Massdrop line?

Plan on buying as many base kits and add-ons as I can afford (admittedly, that’s likely only 2 full kits..)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 21:55:42 »
Wow, just wow.
Any chance to do the side prints as well?  Small greek letters?

Offline soba

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 10 February 2018, 23:59:22 »
in!

Offline alphabirth

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 02:12:11 »
Really rad set!  I'd be interested to see a symbols-only option too.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 04:42:22 »

The 40-45$ would be EXTRA to have the new molds made, added on top of the current cost of 43$ per DC kit as seen in Red Samurai, we're looking at a 80-90$ TOTAL. Sure there are some nuts that will have no issue with paying that, but faaaar from 100.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 05:31:39 »

The 40-45$ would be EXTRA to have the new molds made, added on top of the current cost of 43$ per DC kit as seen in Red Samurai, we're looking at a 80-90$ TOTAL. Sure there are some nuts that will have no issue with paying that, but faaaar from 100.

Got it. I'm cool with this absence of DC kit in this GB. Since the APL legends are exclusive to this theme, even if the DC kit happens in this GB, it doesn't share the molds for any other later GMK GBs like the previous plain DC kit. It doesn't help any other later GMK GBs for the DC users even though it's not much money for 100 DC kit in total, which is around 8000$ and I could pay that actually. Let's see how it will be going without the DC kit for now. If there is enough interest, maybe we could have some extra GB for the DC users in the future, like the Colevrak extension for SA Oblivion maybe? Or an extra plain alpha and DC kit GB in blue-grey theme without the APL legends, which is a compromise to avoid to the molds cost.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 05:38:23 »
even though it's not much money for 100 DC kit in total, which is around 8000$ and I could pay that actually.

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 05:53:11 »
God, that makes me want a Signature Plastics SA R2 sooo bad.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 06:55:06 »
Oblotzky, have you thought about adding the side/front symbols too?

This:

I seriously would love to see this happen. I'm aware this will increase the cost to get the extra symbols front printed but this is the extra detail I'd love to see happen. Since it's done on Massdrop, I think its fair details to add.

Also, it'll be great to see super/win novelty keys to be included in the Symbols kit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 February 2018, 06:57:21 by Owl- »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 07:36:04 »
Oblotzky, have you thought about adding the side/front symbols too?

This:
Show Image

I seriously would love to see this happen. I'm aware this will increase the cost to get the extra symbols front printed but this is the extra detail I'd love to see happen. Since it's done on Massdrop, I think its fair details to add.

Also, it'll be great to see super/win novelty keys to be included in the Symbols kit.

I'll have to see how pricing is as it is. Also what do you mean by Super/Win keys for Symbols kit? Super Meta Hyper are already in the base kit, considering adding 1x Meta and 1x Hyper in 1.5u if pricing allows it.

Offline Petch

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 07:43:57 »

Again, Oblotzky is simply trying to stay faithful to the original design, but in cherry profile. If you want normal Latin alphas, this is not the set you're looking for. Not trying to put your idea down, but it wouldn't be space cadet without these alphas.

I could say it's not space cadet without centered legends on spherical caps with the additional front printed legends.

It already isn't space cadet, and never will be.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 08:11:33 »

I could say it's not space cadet without centered legends on spherical caps with the additional front printed legends.

It already isn't space cadet, and never will be.

The point is to pay tribute to Space Cadet, whether or not it "isn't and never will be" is irrelevant. Oblotzky is one of like 3 people I expect to stay true to the concept so I can safely say it won't ever happen.

Plus if it theoretically did happen it'd impair sales terribly, there's abslolutely no way regular alphas in the base kit would sell anywhere near the number this will (unless there's a huge number of Massdrop normies). Maybe an argument made for having it as a secondary alpha kit but I think the blue version is much more interesting than that so I'm glad this is the way it is.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 08:15:56 »

Greek front legends would look so cool! Could they be pad printed to save costs? Since we won't ever be touching the fronts anyway.

Offline JDT79

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:11:39 »
Can't wait! Probably buy both sets.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:42:48 »
Pad printing if ugly tho.
keyboards.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:56:55 »
Pad printing if ugly tho.

Who said anything about pad printing tho.