Author Topic: [IC] Artisan Case  (Read 1170 times)

haytorious and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
[IC] Artisan Case
« on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 23:55:51 »
189649-0

189621-1

Hi Geekhack,

This is a small pet project that I've been developing for some time and wanted to start up an interest check thread to garner feedback and advice from the community.

Interest Check Form

The concept

A 5x7 (35 slots) artisan storage and travel case.

The final product will include

• 1" Thick Urethane Cast case
  • 3/16" Polycarbonate Lid (cut by water-jet)
  • 4 x Nylon threaded thumb screws
  • Foam insert to secure artisans of all sizes during travel
  • Custom packaging

Design Considerations

Thumb Screws vs Magnets - this has been a point of considerable debate among those that have provided feedback so far. The base of my decision centers around not having an elegant way to secure magnets without the use of epoxy, and not being able to tighten down the lid securely. Additionally, the catalyst for this project was based on the lackluster feedback received from many members of the community on the current state of affairs in regards to artisan storage.

Urethane Casting vs Milled Aluminum - another point of differentiation here is the choice to go with a urethane casting vs milled aluminum. I have identified a local precision parts shop in Atlanta that will be producing the prototype, and if all goes well will be where I'll have these produced at scale. Their mold making process dictates a max run size of 25 castings per mold, which opens up some interesting possibilities for different types of resin effects, colors, and opacities.

Cell Size Dimensions

These dimensions are based on feedback from multiple members with the goal being to able to accept 95% of artisan shapes and sizes.

Cell Height: 0.813"
Cell Width: 0.828"
Cell Length: 0.828"
Cell Wall: 0.375" (to allow for easy grabbing w/ fingers)

Design Development Album

Version 9.0 Render

188936-2

188969-3

188904-4

Version 9.1 Prototype

189508-5

189510-6

189512-7

189514-8

Next Steps

Next week I will be receiving a prototype milled from 1" acrylic, bead blasted to mimic the urethane cast aesthetic. Will post those pics as soon as possible along with a google doc questionnaire to gain some wider feedback on magnets vs thumb screws, materials, costing, and overall interest.

Thanks!

hayt

« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:35:24 by haytorious »

Offline iArson

Re: [IC] Artisan Case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 23:56:31 »
:thumb:

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 00:00:33 »
You have my attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Amnesia

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 04:56:17 »
Interested.

Online LightningXI

• PPD
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 06:40:52 »
Can't wait for this, knowing how hard you've worked on the design. :thumb:

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

WANTED: Keebs, Clacks, and Other Goodies

More
Duck Octagon | Duck Blackbird | Duck Lightsaver v3 | Duck Lightpad | HHKB Pro 1 | HHKB Pro 2 | VE.A | X60 HHKB | FJELL | Revo 60% custom | SKCM Salmon Hasu64 | Uniqey Q100| Realforce 87u 55g | MIRA |

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 08:09:38 »
Lot of progress man, excited to see the prototype, keep up the good work!

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:40:00 »
Please take a minute to fill this out :)

Interest Check Form
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 11:48:18 by haytorious »

Online iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Elevated Elder
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 12:30:09 »
Filled out

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 14:48:47 »
Dimension Drawing added:

188906-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 February 2018, 15:59:07 by haytorious »

Offline Peiweisgreat

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 23:49:14 »
This looks like a really cool project will definitely be following updates, but it looks like a bit of a pain to open up the case. I may be wrong about that altogether though, but I don't know if I would pay for a case that I deemed to be a chore to open.

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 February 2018, 10:32:23 »
This looks like a really cool project will definitely be following updates, but it looks like a bit of a pain to open up the case. I may be wrong about that altogether though, but I don't know if I would pay for a case that I deemed to be a chore to open.

Thanks for your feedback! I have left 3/32" edge height tolerance for lifting the lid out, along with a bit of wiggle room in the nesting which I'm hoping will be enough to make the lid easy to remove. Regarding the thumb screws, they are really only needed for traveling, and do not need to be used at all in order for the case and lid to be functional for home storage.

New Render:

188941-0

Offline DillonHightower

• Formerly DillonHighsmith
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 06:36:04 »
I feel like for the price the case should be larger. Other cases lately have offered led lighting / metal housing with PCB for roughly same price.

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:59:00 »
I feel like for the price the case should be larger. Other cases lately have offered led lighting / metal housing with PCB for roughly same price.

What cases are you referencing that includes those?

Online iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Elevated Elder
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:18:12 »

What cases are you referencing that includes those?

There is a aluminium case group buy right now run by bas1c.

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:21:05 »
Yea, i'm aware of that one, clear versus aluminum is subjective? I guess i'm more asking what case out there includes at least 2 out of the three mentioned features (led lighting, metal housing, PCB)?

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:28:05 »

I don't disagree on the pricing or the size. Once we can accomplish this initial batch of 25, I would like to switch focus to a 7x15 (105 slot) case.

Regarding aluminum and PCB, going with a high-quality urethane casting was a deliberate choice that I feel will be a more natural fit for displaying resin cast artisans.

Basic also has a good option for a case, albeit it's $120 for 20 slots, and it's sizing will most likely not accommodate larger Artisans such as Keywoks, Bruces, or Kosmos.

I'm personally not interested in incorporating any sort of PCB or lighting. At that point might as well put your artisans on a keyboard.

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 11:24:34 »
Iím interested.  I completely agree with the necessity of not needing  all the extra stuff , but it was just a price comparison moRe or less. the Bigger option would just suit  me more. Maybe a poll for a vote?

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:12:07 »
but for real lol, I've never seen an artisan case with LEDs / pcb? Link?

Offline DillonHightower

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 05:14:04 »
but for real lol, I've never seen an artisan case with LEDs / pcb? Link?

pmed

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 13:55:31 »
Quick update - I've received the CNC milled prototype and couldn't be happier with the outcome. The bead blasting gives it a lovely frosted aesthetic and the machine shop did a great job with the details.

I will be revisiting the lid to explore other options besides water-jet cut polycarb, as the edging is quite rough and frayed. Next step will be to order a laser cut acrylic lid with a polished edge.

189516-0

189518-1

189520-2

Bottom panel indent detail (for stacking)
189522-3

Online sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:28:38 »
Quick update - I've received the CNC milled prototype and couldn't be happier with the outcome. The bead blasting gives it a lovely frosted aesthetic and the machine shop did a great job with the details.

Show Image

Yo dawg, I heard you like artisans!

That casted urethane looks really good. Interested, especially with the possibilities when produced at scale  :cool:
So, logically, ALL of the time between NOW and SpaceRock, is the Test..

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 14:36:02 »

Show Image

That casted urethane looks really good. Interested, especially with the possibilities when produced at scale  :cool:

Thanks man! The prototype is actually clear acrylic CNC milled and bead blasted w/ fine glass beads.

The urethane casted version should look almost identical, however, I'm still searching to see if I can find cheaper quotes for scale CNC milling as an option.

Online sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:13:01 »

Show Image

Thanks man! The prototype is actually clear acrylic CNC milled and bead blasted w/ fine glass beads.

The urethane casted version should look almost identical, however, I'm still searching to see if I can find cheaper quotes for scale CNC milling as an option.

Oh, oops! Good to hear that it would look almost identical though. You'd be looking for something local too, right? I may have a contact but is in PA.

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:19:17 »

Show Image

Oh, oops! Good to hear that it would look almost identical though. You'd be looking for something local too, right? I may have a contact but is in PA.

Oh cool!

I'd really love to stay local, or at least MiUSA in order to expedite lead times considerably, and I'm having fun working with the shop and getting involved in the process.

Please can you PM me the details of your contact in PA?

Online sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 15:47:26 »

Show Image

Oh cool!

I'd really love to stay local, or at least MiUSA in order to expedite lead times considerably, and I'm having fun working with the shop and getting involved in the process.

Please can you PM me the details of your contact in PA?
I'm sorry, he had been milling acrylic for a while but I think on a much smaller scale than what you may be looking for. He said he doesn't have any full-scale experience.

>"I'm having fun working with the shop and getting involved in the process."

I bet this would be a lot of fun, sounds like a good shop. Best of luck in getting some lower quotes. Oh, and magnets rather than thumb screws intrigues me!

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:21:51 »
189531-0

Offline pshofosho

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:23:46 »
(Attachment Link)

Confirmed. Comes with a Mummy, thanks Hayt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online haytorious

• Apprentice
    • Wish List
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:56:20 »
189556-0