Author Topic: Teensy 2.0 + USB cable, $11.34 shipped  (Read 5592 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Teensy 2.0 + USB cable, $11.34 shipped
« on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 20:48:39 »
Here's a cheap way to convert that Model F-XT or make that 122-key terminal board programmable:

1 Set Teensy 2.0 USB Keyboard Mouse AVR Board ISP U Disk Experiment for Software

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Teensy 2.0 + USB cable, $11.34 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 21:26:29 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 April 2018, 21:33:52 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 21:36:20 »
Looks a little different-- the reset button, for example-- from the ones I've seen.

It is intriguing because there's a huge gap in the market above for Pro Micro for a cheap controller for battleship boards and fullsize conversions that need more pins.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 21:48:18 »
Fake.  Component layout doesn't match a Teensy++ 2.0  (which is what it's trying to be) and it's using the exact box shown on the counterfeit ID page.

Plus, it's from China.  Worth a couple bucks more to get it from PJRC or a certified reseller.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 April 2018, 21:49:07 »
I concur - fake.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 07:24:07 »
Too bad, that would be a good price. But it is certainly not a 2.0, which is what Soarer's firmware is based on.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 05:00:12 »
I'm not sure I know what you mean by "fake", or how important that is.

Of course I didn't think it was actually made by the original Teensy developer. They're not trying to conceal the fact that it's being made and sold from China. Apparently they've just built a Teensy 2.0 equivalent, the same way any experienced electronics hobbyist could—and they can offer it more cheaply because their costs are lower. Does it really matter, as it works the same?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 07:13:10 »
Does it really matter, as it works the same?

Teensys use a custom bootloader which is smaller, so any firmware designed for the Teensy rather than the raw ATMega chip won't work on a fake.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 07:33:31 »

Of course I didn't think it was actually made by the original Teensy developer. They're not trying to conceal the fact that it's being made and sold from China. Apparently they've just built a Teensy 2.0 equivalent, the same way any experienced electronics hobbyist could—and they can offer it more cheaply because their costs are lower. Does it really matter, as it works the same?

Do you know it works the same?  Do you know the quality of the components and manufacturing of the hardware matches what PJRC makes?  Do you know if it has recent and correct firmware?

Teensy is a brand name, made by a specific company with a known reputation behind their product.   This might be "Teensy compatible" or "Teensy-like" but it's not a Teensy.

It might work fine.  It might not.  But it's not a Teensy.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 03:59:58 »
You need to buy the DIN socket too (and a few wires and a bit of solder).  I made my first Soarer's converter by hand but since then I've been happy with the ready-made adaptors sold on Ebay, for about $35 more.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 06:27:31 »
Oh well, guys, I was just going from the description. For such paltry dough, maybe someone should just buy one and compare it with the original. I'd do it myself if I had time for such a project.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 06:43:19 »
Personally, I have always used genuine Teensy 2.0 with PJRC's and Soarer's firmware and they have always worked perfectly.

The item in the photo looks like a "++" or some other variant which may or may not work with firmware intended for the "2.0"   
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 08:27:03 »
Yes, it's a counterfeit, not just a clone, as the listing claims that it's a "Teensy USB development board"). It's a situation similar to the "Pro Micro" ripoffs that are all over ebay as well.

It does purport to use the same chip as the Teensy++ 2.0, a AT90USB1286, though in none of the pictures was the chip clear enough to read, which is another red flag for me.

Definitely a deal if it works, but I'm still not sure I'd be inclined to roll the dice when a legit one is only twelve bucks more.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 April 2018, 08:29:33 by xmagusx »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:00:22 »
It does purport to use the same chip as the Teensy++ 2.0, a AT90USB1286, though in none of the pictures was the chip clear enough to read, which is another red flag for me.

Ha, "red flag", is that a China joke?  :?)

Here's the best I can do with enlargement and contrast enhancement:

Make any difference? You guys know more about this than I do.

Yes, it's a counterfeit, not just a clone, as the listing claims that it's a "Teensy USB development board")...

Is "Teensy" an actual trademark? If so, the developer hasn't bothered to indicate that anywhere. I suspect it's no more a trademark than "Soarer's Converter"—yet all kinds of people have built and sold those "by name", and as long as they've worked as expected, no one's objected. Calling this a "Teensy 2.0" is just a way of making its purpose clear to peeps who'd be interested in such a thing.

Definitely a deal if it works, but I'm still not sure I'd be inclined to roll the dice when a legit one is only twelve bucks more.

Depends on how you see it—you could also say the other ones are twice as much.  ;?) 

Anyway, I've seen people here take chances on new keyboards whose quality was unknown, that involved much more dough than this. So I just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone was intrigued enough to pursue it for the price of a lunch. See ya later!

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:09:05 »
Is "Teensy" an actual trademark? If so, the developer hasn't bothered to indicate that anywhere. I suspect it's no more a trademark than "Soarer's Converter"—yet all kinds of people have built and sold those "by name", and as long as they've worked as expected, no one's objected. Calling this a "Teensy 2.0" is just a way of making its purpose clear to peeps who'd be interested in such a thing.

You suspect wrong.  Teensy is trademarked.

It takes about 30 seconds to do a search on the trademark database.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=login&p_lang=english&p_d=trmk   Do a basic word search on "Teensy"

Anyway, I've seen people here take chances on new keyboards whose quality was unknown, that involved much more dough than this. So I just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone was intrigued enough to pursue it for the price of a lunch. See ya later!

There's a difference between a no-name keyboard using known switches and a keyboard trying to pass itself off as another manufacturer.

Please change the title of this thread.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:11:21 by E TwentyNine »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 18:27:33 »
Tangentially, can anyone verify firsthand that a Teensy ++ 2.0 flashes with the same PJRC firmware and works with Soarer's Firmware without further modifications?

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 19:28:32 »
I think there's a specific image they make for the Teensy++; I've used it on a GH-122.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.