Author Topic: Realforce 87u Caps Lock Oddity?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline haydoselefantes

Realforce 87u Caps Lock Oddity?
« on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 16:54:02 »
I have two Realforce 87u's.  A stock variable force that I use at work, and an all-45g EK edition dome swapped to BKE ultra-lights at home.  I've noticed a weird caps lock behavior on both of them: it only works about two thirds of the times I hit it. 

I posted about this earlier in another thread.

I can feel the key spring back up, and I can hear the thock, but it doesn't register.  You can hear the sound on these videos.

The variable from the office yesterday:

The all-45g w/ BKE ultra-lights at home today in slo-mo:

Am I only person to whom this has even happened?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Realforce 87u Caps Lock Oddity?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 May 2018, 16:56:55 »
Are you bottoming out?

Topre reads an actuation as a number between 0 and 1, whereas Cherry style is 0 or 1. What's probably happening is it's going just short of the actuation value.

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 02:20:44 »
Are you bottoming out?

Topre reads an actuation as a number between 0 and 1, whereas Cherry style is 0 or 1. What's probably happening is it's going just short of the actuation value.

No, not bottoming out. I was forgetting how the capacitance works on Topre switches. Thanks for the reminder.

I suddenly realize that the APC in the Realforce RGB would probably take care of this for me.  I wish the TKL version would come out already.

Offline 00

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 02:22:11 »
Are you bottoming out?

No, not bottoming out. I was forgetting how the capacitance works on Topre switches. Thanks for the reminder.

I suddenly realize that the APC in the Realforce RGB would probably take care of this for me.  I wish the TKL version would come out already.

Topre offer an R2 TKL with APC
It's like, dude, you gotta re-evaluate
Your perspective and your priorities, because
You started doing this because it was ****ing fun, you know?
It has to be fun
Otherwise, you're just torturing yourself, you know?
You're... you're just stuck inside your own ****ing head

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 18:12:17 »
Topre offer an R2 TKL with APC

I’m still holding out hope we’ll see this rgb tkl with mx sliders in ANSI.

Offline ag36

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 May 2018, 19:38:42 »
I wonder if it will come before R2 ansi.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 May 2018, 15:00:15 »
I guess if I had the same problem on an FC660C, I could try using APC on hasu's contoller.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 June 2018, 18:10:57 »
well, did you test this on Mac? If so you should try on other OS's, I mean decent one.
I remember that Mac OS ignores fast tap of CapsLock as a design, it needs 100ms or so between press and release. I think this is .. ****ty decision by Apple.

EDIT:
For reference for Mac CpasLock issue:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/390

EDIT2:
I tested FC660C(with original Topre controller) on Linux(unbuntu 16.04) and CapsLock works reliably to me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 June 2018, 18:39:26 by hasu »

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 June 2018, 21:50:45 »
well, did you test this on Mac? If so you should try on other OS's, I mean decent one.
I remember that Mac OS ignores fast tap of CapsLock as a design, it needs 100ms or so between press and release. I think this is .. ****ty decision by Apple.

EDIT:
For reference for Mac CpasLock issue:
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/390

ED
I tested FC660C(with original Topre controller) on Linux(unbuntu 16.04) and CapsLock works reliably to me.

Thanks for the info, hasu!  This was on Mac. Come to think of it, I’ve never noticed this caps lock behavior on Windows, but I only game on Windows. I only use a real OS for real work 🙂