Author Topic: Touch Typists Question?  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Pavilions

Touch Typists Question?
« on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:05:03 »
Touch typist I want to know when you type do you raise your fingers, or do you keep them touching the home row and drag them to the top and bottom row? I saw people who really type fast they keep their hands and fingers on a higher level without resting on the home row, while me in my case I keep them resting on the home row and raise them a little bit to reach the other letters, I'm asking this because I think I'm doing it wrong, especially when I type on a laptop keyboard I keep doing a lot of mistakes.

Offline bengeek

Re: Touch Typists Question?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:23:20 »
For casual typing, I keep contact with fingers on both hands - both hands resting on a wristpad - it's sloppy, I know. If I'm in a typing speed test, I still keep a finger or two on both hands barely touching, but no wristpad - that's a no no. I'm not a speed demon - I'm around 60-70wpm.

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:27:37 »
While typing, my fingers are hovering over the keys slightly. When not typing, for instance while thinking of what to type next, my fingers will typically rest lightly on the home keys. This results in 80-90 wpm speeds for me.

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 12:52:19 »
While typing, my fingers are hovering over the keys slightly. When not typing, for instance while thinking of what to type next, my fingers will typically rest lightly on the home keys. This results in 80-90 wpm speeds for me.

Yes, I think your way is the right way, I need to keep doing what you do.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 15:30:08 »
it sound like you're stretching to reach the keys. the idea is to float your hands over the keyboard (as you've observed with fast typists)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 16:59:35 »
rest your hands on  awef jio'

That is the proper home row, 

asdfjkl' is NOT how the fingers normally rest.

While typing, if you're after SPEED,  keep your wrist in the same plane as the top of your knuckles.. and raise the entire arm slightly above the keyboard..

You wouldn't type like this all the time, this is only for typing test/games

Offline Pavilions

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 04:25:03 »
rest your hands on  awef jio'

That is the proper home row, 

asdfjkl' is NOT how the fingers normally rest.

While typing, if you're after SPEED,  keep your wrist in the same plane as the top of your knuckles.. and raise the entire arm slightly above the keyboard..

You wouldn't type like this all the time, this is only for typing test/games

Is it possible to do this method on a Laptop keyboard? or should I follow this method on a desktop mechanical keyboard? Thanks.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 August 2018, 09:03:18 »

Is it possible to do this method on a Laptop keyboard? or should I follow this method on a desktop mechanical keyboard? Thanks.

Works for all flat keyboards..

But if on a laptop , where the desk may be MUCH higher than your elbows, nearly to your shoulder,

Obviously raising your hands above it is not practical.

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 20:36:40 »
Touch typist I want to know when you type do you raise your fingers, or do you keep them touching the home row and drag them to the top and bottom row? I saw people who really type fast they keep their hands and fingers on a higher level without resting on the home row, while me in my case I keep them resting on the home row and raise them a little bit to reach the other letters, I'm asking this because I think I'm doing it wrong, especially when I type on a laptop keyboard I keep doing a lot of mistakes.

I float my fingers and raise and lower for each keypress. Occasionally I will touch F and J to ensure my fingers are centred over home. I don't type particularly fast (haven't done a speed test for years because I don't care).

I've never really thought about this until seeing this post. And reading this post, and thinking about how I type, has completely messed up my accuracy!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 03:51:39 »

I type 100–120 wpm. I can usually transcribe what someone says in real time, if they don't speak too fast.

I do hold my fingers over the home row, and am always in contact with it to some extent—but only to maintain an awareness of the keyboard as a whole. I don't drag my fingers to the other rows; I raise them just a tiny bit, only as much as needed to reach the other keys without dragging.

Dragging wouldn't be efficient. You'd constantly be negotiating the ups and down of the keys's depressions, and wasting time and effort overcoming friction against the keys (no matter how slight; it'd add up).

At the same time, raising your fingers any more than necessary is also wasted time and effort. So, in mechanical terms, it's a matter of developing a feel for keeping your moving fingers just above the keyboard.

That said, though, if you want to reach your typing potential, I think you need to let go of such intellectual concepts.

As a pianist, I can express this even better in relation to piano technique. To play the piano smoothly and naturally, transcending technical limitations, requires you to let go of the idea of the keyboard as a collection of separate keys, and think of it more as a single, music-producing thing. You can then address it in the smoothest, most organic way. You focus on your intention to play, and consciously move your upper body, arms, and—to a lesser extent—hands, but not your fingers. This leaves your fingers to do their subtle work as "quietly" (efficiently) as possible, without conscious interference.

When you speak, you don't stop to think of each word you're saying, or how it's spelled. You express thoughts.

Similarly, good pianists focus on the music they want to create, not the notes they're playing. They express musical ideas.

The same way, good typists focus on what they want to express, not which keys they're pressing. They type the way people speak.

If you focus on the ideas you're expressing, your body does whatever its need to do to keep up with you. Physically, our bodies are much wiser than our conscious minds, and perform much better when they're allowed to do so without our minds wading in and trying to control them.

My piano teacher used to say: "Trying to control your fingers is like sending the Chairman of the Board down to the assembly line." It's true about nearly everything we do—typing, too.

You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Dude, really? You're still wasting everyone's time—including yours—with this silly crap? You need to get out more.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 12:18:48 »
In the end it's all just muscle memory. Your conscious brain doesn't think in terms of characters, but rather words and phrases, and your fingers (the muscle memory) take care of the individual keystrokes automagically without you really thinking about it. If you want good, fast, accurate touch typing technique, then you have to drill it into your muscle memory properly (a slow tedious process to be sure, but it works). If you don't do that, then all you'll ultimately be doing is burning bad technique into your muscle memory, and you'll be stuck with that forever.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 13:48:49 »
Once the muscle memory is ingrained the next challenge is remembering how to spell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB