Author Topic: Is my Leopold 750R's spacebar abnormal?  (Read 4499 times)

Offline choc

Is my Leopold 750R's spacebar abnormal?
« on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 09:55:42 »
Just received my new Leopold 750R, :) but its spacebar behaves differently on the right side and left side. O_O
Here are two sample videos:

TL;DR:
1.Pressing the spacebar on the right side sounds more metallic/sandy than on the left side. (The difference is more noticeable in real life than in the video. - -|||)
2.Also, this spacebar's right side is looser, and rattles more than the left side(which hardly moves in gentle touch).

Is it abnormal for a Leopold 750R(Version 2)?
I'm still new to the keyboard world and a little bit worried about this. :(

Thanks in advance!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Re: Is my Leopold 750R's spacebar abnormal?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 12:53:58 »
Since Leopold only uses Cherry stabilizer I'll assume this is Cherry stabilizer.

My guess is that the right side stem mold somehow is smaller than the left side so it's loose when you put on the keycap.

What I'd do is take off the spacebar, cut a small square of plumbing tape and put it over the +.  Then put your keycap back on.

It should tightens the connection and see if it helps.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Entropia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 15:40:14 »
I have a FC980M and I had never noticed this, but yes, doing the same that you do in your video, my spacebar behaves very similar. I wouldn't consider this a defect. I always hit the spacebar with my thumb on the left part of it, and it feels ok. By, the way, I have it flipped. Have you tried it? It's so much more comfortable to use! When I received my keyboard I spent also some days worrying about the feel of the long keys, trying to find out if they felt more or less mushy or more or less scratchy. Cherry stabs make long keys behave a bit different from the rest. And keep in mind that these stabs are clipped, which mean they are better than most of the stock Cherry stabs that most of keyboards have. Moreover, remember that spacebars are the week point of many highend keyboards. Look, for instance, many Filco users complain that their spacebars rattle a lot, simply by touching it with your finger. Another example, the expensive Topre keyboards also have spacebars that sound and behave very differently from the rest of the keys (and to put things worse, they are made of abs, unlike the rest of the keys, which means they will get shiny after some months of use. Others have keycap sets with warped spacebars, because they are difficult to produce correctly with PBT plastic. So, don't worry so much and and enjoy your brand new keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 May 2017, 15:45:33 by Entropia »

Offline choc

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 20:20:20 »
Since Leopold only uses Cherry stabilizer I'll assume this is Cherry stabilizer.

My guess is that the right side stem mold somehow is smaller than the left side so it's loose when you put on the keycap.

What I'd do is take off the spacebar, cut a small square of plumbing tape and put it over the +.  Then put your keycap back on.

It should tightens the connection and see if it helps.  :)

Yea, it's Cherry stabilizer. Good method, I'll have a try.😆 My main concern is should it be considered as a defect? Or, it's relatively common as a Leopold these days? I've heard that Leopold's build quality is one of the best, and it seems right, as least on the whole.😏

Offline choc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 20:28:55 »
I have a FC980M and I had never noticed this, but yes, doing the same that you do in your video, my spacebar behaves very similar. I wouldn't consider this a defect. I always hit the spacebar with my thumb on the left part of it, and it feels ok. By, the way, I have it flipped. Have you tried it? It's so much more comfortable to use! When I received my keyboard I spent also some days worrying about the feel of the long keys, trying to find out if they felt more or less mushy or more or less scratchy. Cherry stabs make long keys behave a bit different from the rest. And keep in mind that these stabs are clipped, which mean they are better than most of the stock Cherry stabs that most of keyboards have. Moreover, remember that spacebars are the week point of many highend keyboards. Look, for instance, many Filco users complain that their spacebars rattle a lot, simply by touching it with your finger. Another example, the expensive Topre keyboards also have spacebars that sound and behave very differently from the rest of the keys (and to put things worse, they are made of abs, unlike the rest of the keys, which means they will get shiny after some months of use. Others have keycap sets with warped spacebars, because they are difficult to produce correctly with PBT plastic. So, don't worry so much and and enjoy your brand new keyboard.

"flipping", okay, I'll have a try. 😁 Don't know how hard it is to produce a straight,c consistent feeling spacebar until you point it out. I'm so lucky that my Cherry MX 6.0 has a perfect spacebar.🍀

Offline fatum

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 12:38:45 »
I have the same keyboard and the same issue - did you manage to fix this?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 12:53:44 »
"flipping", okay, I'll have a try. 😁 Don't know how hard it is to produce a straight,c consistent feeling spacebar until you point it out. I'm so lucky that my Cherry MX 6.0 has a perfect spacebar.🍀

Woah, emoji support on geekhack is back.

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:33:24 »
I've seen this on many boards both mechanical and membrane. Membrane boards have this "issue" a lot. Never really taken one apart to see why pressing on either side creates a different feel and or sound but I have noticed it.