Author Topic: When to eat while working shifts  (Read 2357 times)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
When to eat while working shifts
« on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 03:33:01 »
I've recently starte a job on shifts, first week was 6-2 which was fine - just have lunch and dinner a bit early.  This week I'm on the 2-10 shift and can't get my head around when to eat!

Yesterday I didn't eat enough early so ate a big meal too close to bedtime and now I'm not hungry, but if I don't eat lots now this will just repeat tomorrow.  The other side is if I eat a big meal for 'brunch' I'm not really going to be in any state to cycle ~16 miles as I hope to do long term.

I guess I could skip the big meal altogether and have three snack meals instead of lunch and dinner but wondered if anyone has any experience/advice?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Re: When to eat while working shifts
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 07:48:26 »
Just put an MRE in your pocket and eat while you work.  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline strider8

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 14:38:54 »
I second the meal replacement suggestion. Or just keep small snacks in a bag that you can eat throughout the day. I like Kind Bars and RX bars a lot.

These are the new generation of "MRE" that are actually healthy.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:37:08 »
I've recently starte a job on shifts, first week was 6-2 which was fine - just have lunch and dinner a bit early.  This week I'm on the 2-10 shift and can't get my head around when to eat!

I guess I could skip the big meal altogether and have three snack meals instead of lunch and dinner but wondered if anyone has any experience/advice?

I've had experience with this before, though when it comes to nutrition what is best tailored for me may not be what is perfect for you. But this is fairly general.
I ate a good meal right before leaving for work and small snacks 2-3 times during work. Protein shakes, granola bars, assorted nuts, A LITTLE jerky (heavy sodium), etc. You want protein and fiber. Protein rich snacks are important in keeping your hunger sated for longer, and fiber helps you feel full sooner.
Not sure when you sleep, but my rule is to not eat 2-4 hours before sleeping.
Hope this offers something helpful.

I second the meal replacement suggestion. Or just keep small snacks in a bag that you can eat throughout the day. I like Kind Bars and RX bars a lot.

+1
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:45:48 »
Don't eat..

Read Thinspiration magazines..

Call modeling agency..

Become a model..

Go to parties..

Do drugs..

Burn out..

Get sober..

Write a blog..

Do a TV appearance..

Ghost write a book about Recovery..

Finally, live on a ranch taking care of horses..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 17:16:43 »
Thanks for the thoughts, I'm not allowed to eat while working and wouldn't want to anyway as hands are dirty.

Half way through week two I've pretty much settled on eating my main meal at 11 which is early enough to cycle at 12:30 then sandwiches/fruit etc around 6 and a granola/breakfast bar at 8:30 - standard three meals a day, just backwards :)

tp4 - my weight is as low as it can go before people start moaning I look skinny (unintentional, my weight just varies between 145-190lbs) I'm too old unmaintained to be a model, I don't like parties, I've seen the mess drugs cause and I can't be bothered to write a blog or go on TV.  Other than these minor problems your plan is great!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 17:21:28 »

tp4 - my weight is as low as it can go before people start moaning I look skinny (unintentional, my weight just varies between 145-190lbs) I'm too old unmaintained to be a model, I don't like parties, I've seen the mess drugs cause and I can't be bothered to write a blog or go on TV.  Other than these minor problems your plan is great!

If Cucumber can be a Model.

ANYONE can be a model..

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:31:12 »

These are the new generation of "MRE" that are actually healthy.

FYI, nutritional bars are not "actually healthy".
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170