Author Topic: Keyboard not powering through thunderbolt ports  (Read 924 times)

Offline SauceismyBauce

Keyboard not powering through thunderbolt ports
« on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 23:10:57 »
Hi, I recently built my new CA66 keyboard. Everything has been great except I've been having troubles powering the board when I plug into thunderbolt ports. I have seen this on both my macbook pro and HP Elitebook 840. If I plug into a usb-A port everything works fine. If I double-dongle it by going usb-C to A back to C into a thunderbolt port the board is working and it shows up as a USB 2.0 device in the OS. I have tried multiple usb-c/usb-c cables, re-flashing the firmware and finding a solution for this online but have come up empty handed. My guess is the computer just doesn't recognize the device unless to goes through a usb-a connector.

I ask all this because I was wanting to order a custom cable from Mechcables. I was hoping to escape the dongle and get a usb-c to usb-c cable but I am not confident it will work. Does anyone know if there is a way to ensure/make a cable that will advertise itself as a USB 2.0? Or should I just get a regular usb-C to usb-A cable. Is there something else that I am missing?