Author Topic: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL  (Read 59698 times)

Offline anon23

Re: [IC] Zambumon Verne: Custom TKL
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 02:06:08 »
I've already addressed why the quantities are limited.

Yeah, and I've read it loud and clear that you designed it for yourself and you can do whatever you please. I understand and respect that.
But still, I simply wished to point out that it is sad to see such a great board being limited then. No matter what the reasons are. I'm also waiting to see the price as I may not even be able to afford it anyway if price goes sky high.
Anyway, best of luck mate. It is truly a beautiful board. Though I doubt you need people to tell you that.
-

Offline vpr

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 16:09:42 »
So will the limited edition of a Nautilus Nightmares themed Verne be a seperate buy? Assuming it'll also be a raffle with limited spots (since 'limited edition' is in the title of it)? Will pricing be similar between the two versions?

Offline ipley

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 00:51:01 »
did not White Color option?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 06:14:32 »
So will the limited edition of a Nautilus Nightmares themed Verne be a seperate buy? Assuming it'll also be a raffle with limited spots (since 'limited edition' is in the title of it)? Will pricing be similar between the two versions?

Yes, it's an extra to the GMK set. It will only be made if the set gets picked up by Massdrop, so people that join the group buy could have matching keyboard and keycaps otherwise it won't be done. It's too early to discuss about it, let's go step by step and just focus on the 3 color options I'll offer.

did not White Color option?

That was a powder coat prototype, it would be extremly problematic for me to offer them because most units would be rejected.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 08:34:06 »
Great looking board. Sad that single layout plates are starting to regain popularity outside the hotswap crowd.

Probably one of the best looking boards out there, though there is no way i'll be able to afford it.

Good luck with the buy sir.

Offline Maxusy

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 07:32:11 »
can't you just add the hotswap sockets yourself? I don't see the issue.
b.face x2

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 12:00:15 »

people don't wanna put in effort

and they're asking about kailh hotswap sockets, not holtites or whatever other solution

Great looking board. Sad that single layout plates are starting to regain popularity outside the hotswap crowd.

Probably one of the best looking boards out there, though there is no way i'll be able to afford it.

Good luck with the buy sir.

single layout plates make for a better sound and typing experience since it allows the designer to put in more specialized relief cuts and keeps the switches from twisting too much (which happens if you're using plate mount switches with a swiss cheese plate)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Maxusy

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 18:00:07 »

and they're asking about kailh hotswap sockets, not holtites or whatever other solution

never used those but it looks like you can also install those yourself.. just takes a bit of soldering work, no? If anyone cares enough about the design, such a small thing really shouldn't be a big reason to not-buy it imo
b.face x2

Offline catamscott

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 18:30:22 »

never used those but it looks like you can also install those yourself.. just takes a bit of soldering work, no? If anyone cares enough about the design, such a small thing really shouldn't be a big reason to not-buy it imo

pcb's have to be explicitly designed to utilize the kailh hotswap sockets. spare hotswap sockets would only be useful if you're replacing one that broke off or something, but you can't just solder them to your average pcb and get hotswap capability

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 27 October 2018, 23:25:06 »
I like the roundness of this :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 00:07:22 »
I want the Classic bottom row layout (winkeyless) with regular (versus stepped) Caps Lock.
IMO, Caps Lock position should be flexible for both layouts.  Bottom row fixed I get it, but Caps Lock fixed only has downside.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2018, 00:10:05 by OracleKev »

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 12:34:59 »

A wild Jamón Red Verne has appeared!

Looks great with Chocolatier too.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 13:49:09 »
Show Image

A wild Jamón Red Verne has appeared!

Looks great with Chocolatier too.

Show Image

So gorgeous!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 14:52:34 »
I'm in (price dependent of course).
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Starston3

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 15:19:30 »
Show Image

Ooo. Nioce.

Debating between trying to get into this buy or wait/hope Nautilus Nightmare comes true.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 16:17:33 »
Show Image

Ooo. Nioce.

Debating between trying to get into this buy or wait/hope Nautilus Nightmare comes true.

I wouldn't wait for Nautilus Nightmares, for that set it will probably take a year or more to get done, if it gets done.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 07:41:04 »

To those attending Mechanicon this Saturday: I will be bringing this prototype so you can try the board.  :p

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 07:45:23 »
Show Image

To those attending Mechanicon this Saturday: I will be bringing this prototype so you can try the board.  :p

Wish I could be there just to experience Verne! Have fun!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 31 October 2018, 07:53:07 »
Show Image

There's the posibility that one of the prototypes will be at the Bay Area meetup, on November 10th.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 13:29:42 »
Very interested. It's right down the middle of the fairway for what I'm looking for.

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 13:31:01 »
Show Image

There's the posibility that one of the prototypes will be at the Bay Area meetup, on November 10th.

Want to come to Canada?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 01 November 2018, 14:40:33 »
Show Image

Want to come to Canada?

I'm not the one going to the US.  :))

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 15:59:00 »
Received mine on Saturday, delivery guy was an odd fella. Thanks for the smooth GB!

JK, very honored to have received one of the protos. My pictures can't do it justice, but it was a pleasure to build. Fixed layout is so nice, and I really like this one being without a weight insert. Love the ano, and spot on gray color! Shame about the PCB being hidden inside the body, it's the most beautiful PCB I've seen yet (check OP for pics of it)

I'm bringing this unit to the bay area meetup on Saturday, so you can inspect it closer there if you are attending.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:01:53 by Oblotzky »

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:00:38 »
Received mine on Saturday, delivery guy was an odd fella. Thanks for the smooth GB!

JK, very honored to have received one of the protos. My pictures can't do it justice, but it was a pleasure to build. Fixed layout is so nice, and I really like this one being without a weight insert. Love the ano, and spot on gray color! Shame about the PCB being hidden inside the body, it's the most beautiful PCB I've seen yet.

I'm bringing this unit to the bay area meetup on Saturday, so you can inspect it closer there if you are attending.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

WOW

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:24:08 »

single layout plates make for a better sound and typing experience since it allows the designer to put in more specialized relief cuts and keeps the switches from twisting too much (which happens if you're using plate mount switches with a swiss cheese plate)

To clarify on that, when you mention relief cuts: In what manner, and for flex only or also to improve sound? Personally I'd argue that fixed layout plates in fact for the most part sound worse (fixed spacebars for example without cuts between the stabiliser and switch in my opinion sound much worse having tried both on the same board - though sound is always subjective)

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:34:43 »
ugh please just sell me one already ill pay anything.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:36:50 »

To clarify on that, when you mention relief cuts: In what manner, and for flex only or also to improve sound? Personally I'd argue that fixed layout plates in fact for the most part sound worse (fixed spacebars for example without cuts between the stabiliser and switch in my opinion sound much worse having tried both on the same board - though sound is always subjective)

Relief cuts on those areas that are covered by the aluminum (between the escape and F row, arrow cluster and navigation cluster... etc). These should help improving sound.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:38:48 »

its definitely just for sound

more material = less flex
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:42:16 »
ugh please just sell me one already ill pay anything.

I don't have a Jamón Red prototype yet. It shouldn't take a lot of time to get it.

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 16:42:21 »

Sorry when I mentioned flex or sound I meant the reasoning for the relief cuts, not for fixed over universal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 21:56:52 »

Sorry when I mentioned flex or sound I meant the reasoning for the relief cuts, not for fixed over universal.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

relief cuts are a sound thing

but also they're kind of a meme, i love em but i don't think they actually do anything

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 06:31:57 »
Verne at the Bay Area meetup last Saturday!

Credit goes to /u/plebtheturtle

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 13:25:50 »
those rounded edges  :thumb:

Offline toby

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 08:46:10 »
the blue for this is very much like the nautilus blue!

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 09:18:34 »
the blue for this is very much like the nautilus blue!

Goos observation.

Offline maximize

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 21:24:36 »
What a beautiful board. I fully plan to throw my hat in the ring! I haven't noticed any details on GB timing in the thread, though it seems like you have most details fleshed out already. What does your timeline look like, if you can share your thoughts? I understand that once you mention any dates, people will latch on to them, but I promise I won't! ;)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 22:18:43 »
What a beautiful board. I fully plan to throw my hat in the ring! I haven't noticed any details on GB timing in the thread, though it seems like you have most details fleshed out already. What does your timeline look like, if you can share your thoughts? I understand that once you mention any dates, people will latch on to them, but I promise I won't! ;)

i can tell you that once it goes to gb the lead time will be very fast

so stay in the loop on this

Offline maximize

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 09:01:56 »
I certainly will! Thanks for the advice.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:52:10 »
I certainly will! Thanks for the advice.

Please, do not forget to fill out the form!

Offline gbchk

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 11:55:35 »
Any updates?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 19:44:52 »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 19:52:05 »
Smooooooth

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 20:13:22 »
Hot

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder

Offline monkt

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 11:39:43 »
Any updates?

Show Image

Oh, my. That is....
Please post a photo from the front. I really need to see more of Serika with that red body. Really stunning.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 13:33:33 »
Any updates?

Show Image

Oh, my. That is....
Please post a photo from the front. I really need to see more of Serika with that red body. Really stunning.
I've already done that

Offline zeusinthesheets

• I like borgers
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 13:34:11 »
Any updates?

Show Image

Oh, my. That is....
I've already done that
That's quite beautiful!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RAMA Koyu Haze | SA Laser | Holy 🅱️andas

Offline zizard

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 15:37:55 »
Bit odd to have a tight spacing between the number row and function row, with a large unused margin above the function row.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 17:38:18 »
Bit odd to have a tight spacing between the number row and function row, with a large unused margin above the function row.

But I like it that way.

Offline Maxusy

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 18:06:09 »
I think it's nice to see you are putting so many 'unusual' features in this board that are new. It's not just some 10degree angle, few standard ano options, big brass weight and a cheesegrate plate with some ****ty logo on it.

It's got many unusual features which seem to reflect what you think of as important, such as having a fixed plate and slightly different gaps. Good stuff  :thumb:
b.face x2