Author Topic: FC980M GMK Keycaps  (Read 2506 times)

Offline HotRoderX

FC980M GMK Keycaps
« on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 23:59:50 »
I am looking for a board to use with my upcoming Terminal key set, my original plans has gone to crap. I decided to go with something a bit more retro in my opinion and am looking at the FC980M was wondering if the base set would fit with out issues? https://thekey.company/products/gmk-terminal_-r2 I am going to assume it would. I just want to get conformation before pulling the trigger on ordering the board.

Offline Gampela

Re: FC980M GMK Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 06:00:41 »
Since no one still hasn't answered I will. It says in the description that it covers 1800 layout, so you can pretty much assume that it will fit fc980m perfectly. But it never hurts to double-check that yourself. Let's see:

Delete and PgDn keys for R1 row, check
Split right shift, check
1u wide 0 key for the numpad, check
1u wide alt and ctrl keys, check
Regular 6.25u spacebar, check

Missing: 1u windows key and 1.25u fn key, but I think that you're supposed to use #! novelty keycaps for those.

Everything else seem to be standard.

Edit: I really recommend Leopold fc980m if you still haven't pulled trigger on that. Especially if you buy the newer PD version (stands for pbt doubleshot). Though you might not want to use those pesky GMK caps after using the originals. :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2018, 06:28:53 by Gampela »

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 02:37:51 »
Thanks for the reply, and ended up pulling the trigger on the FC980M. I ended up getting on with black MX switches. I gotta admit there super smooth and the sound it makes is pretty nice also. I know read they use a dampening mat in them. They got a nice muted thunk sound. The keyset is really nice also GMK and the one I took off the board. I am going to have to re purpose those keys at some point.

Offline Gampela

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 07:04:25 »
Good to hear you are liking them!