Author Topic: WTFreak... Glossary of terms please  (Read 2338 times)

Offline kennedyjf

WTFreak... Glossary of terms please
« on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 23:21:50 »
Hello everyone. I am very knew to the world of Mechanical Keyboards and to Geekhack. I have been in the forums for the past week and I immediately noticed there is an entire new language in the world of mechanical keyboards. I have done my best to look up the technical terms that I am reading about but it is the non-technical terms that give me trouble. For example:

Stabs
Potato Photo (Photato)
Puppers
Clacks

I looked these up but nothing made sense in context of keyboards.

Could you guys help me understand what these mean?

I will update this list as I think of things.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
Re: WTFreak... Glossary of terms please
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 23:43:23 »
Hey there and welcome!

Stabs = stabilizers. These are used in keys that are 2u or wider. A wire based contraption which makes it so when you press on one side of the key the entire key depresses inserted of just one side. These come in many varieties but there are two styles for cherry style switches. Costar and cherry

Potato = a photo that had such bad quality that everything just looks like a potato

Puppers... I have no idea. Maybe cute puppies?

Clacks = artisan keycaps made by clack factory. Usually referring to the clack skull, but there are other sculpts as well. https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Clack_Factory

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 05:49:14 »
Hey there and welcome!

Stabs = stabilizers. These are used in keys that are 2u or wider. A wire based contraption which makes it so when you press on one side of the key the entire key depresses inserted of just one side. These come in many varieties but there are two styles for cherry style switches. Costar and cherry

Potato = a photo that had such bad quality that everything just looks like a potato

Clacks = artisan keycaps made by clack factory. Usually referring to the clack skull, but there are other sculpts as well. https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Clack_Factory
All correct, even the guess :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kennedyjf

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 08:13:01 »
Hey there and welcome!

Stabilizers!!! That makes sense now. I was thinking stabs like a key stab, as in knife stab lol. Potato makes 100% sense but I have seen some pretty decent photos here labeled as potatoes. Maybe folks just being modest or my standards are just really low haha. Anyway, thanks again.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 08:28:52 »
Hello everyone. I am very knew to the world of Mechanical Keyboards and to Geekhack. I have been in the forums for the past week and I immediately noticed there is an entire new language in the world of mechanical keyboards. I have done my best to look up the technical terms that I am reading about but it is the non-technical terms that give me trouble. For example:

Stabs
Potato Photo (Photato)
Puppers
Clacks

Thanks in advance.

Nice try, RIPSTER... ///

What a clever disguise.. !!

The most complex Ruse..

Offline kennedyjf

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 09:31:00 »

Stabs
Potato Photo (Photato)
Puppers
Clacks

Thanks in advance.

Nice try, RIPSTER... ///

What a clever disguise.. !!

The most complex Ruse..

Show Image

I’m so confused! Lol.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 10:19:44 »
Ripster was a member who was banned here long ago. And then he got banned at the Deskthority forum not long after.
He has made a few attempts at coming back with new usernames (called "sock-puppets").
He tends to "hold court" over on Reddit.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:19:38 »
Puppers, slang for puppies. May be confused with doggos, dogges, woofers, boofers etc. here's an infograph on the subject. If you are interested in learning more there's a cool dog newsletter, opening up on dec again :D https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80184.0

« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2018, 11:29:59 by Signature »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline kennedyjf

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 00:02:09 »
Puppers, slang for puppies. May be confused with doggos, dogges, woofers, boofers etc. here's an infograph on the subject. If you are interested in learning more there's a cool dog newsletter, opening up on dec again :D https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80184.0

Show Image

Haha awesome. Thanks for the reference.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 00:13:36 »
The whole Potato thing started because people would say things either looked like they were recorded/taken with a "potato". Basically it meant you could count the pixels that the picture/video had and everything in it was up for interpretation to what they actually where due to the lack of resolution. Nowadays, it is just a way of saying a picture is either low quality, out-of-focus/grainy or both.

Offline kennedyjf

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 00:14:33 »
Thanks for the history! That makes since.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ