Author Topic: Hello Hello  (Read 1619 times)

Offline ThereminGoat

Hello Hello
« on: Tue, 25 December 2018, 10:11:39 »
Hey All,

So I've actually been lurking-at-large for a bit of time now on GeekHack as well as Reddit, and I figured I should finally introduce myself!

My name is ThereminGoat (or TehMeeper if you know me on Discord) and I've been actively buying mechanical keyboards for about 3 years now. My interests in mechanical keyboards actually stemmed from a wrist/hand injury that made it extremely painful to do things like typing and writing for more than 30 seconds. A couple years down the road and here I am still buying stuff so I can say I'm probably addicted at this point. My current boards/keycap sets are as follows:

Anne Pro V1 (Cherry MX Brown) - My first love
Ducky One (Cherry MX Speed Silvers) - Christmas Gift
Vortex Race 3 (Cherry MX Blues) - First Meetup buy
Datacomp DFK192 (Alps SKCM Whites) - Pickup from old job
Planck with Hotswap Sockets (I technically don't know I'm getting this tonight for Christmas so shhhh)

GMK Nautilus
GMK Laser
Blank Rainbow Gradient Set (Amazon)
MT3 Godspeed (Can't wait for this to show up - SA Godspeed is what got me interested in fancy keycaps)

Additionally, since I won't be able to spend nearly as much during the upcoming months due to school costs, I will be focusing on my budding switch collection and trying to fill in some of the gaps of the stuff that I have. I always appreciate any help when it comes to getting hands on the rarer stuff, so if anyone out there sees this and wouldn't mind selling some my way please let me know!

For those of you who are here, please tell me what boards you all have and/or what your first one was since I always love hearing what everyone else out there has! Merry Christmas to all of you who see this today and I hope that your New Years is great as well!

- Goat

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Hello Hello
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 06:11:39 »
Hello and welcome!  :) hope your hands are ok using mechanical keyboards!

Offline ThereminGoat

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 11:29:25 »
hope your hands are ok using mechanical keyboards!

Actually much better off now because of them! As much as I have to use computers any more for school its a blessing that I came across them when I did.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 January 2019, 16:13:00 »
It saddens me a bit to think I went over a decade into my hardcore PC hobby before getting into mech boards. Then, realizing how the boards should outlast most actual computer systems made me really understand how misguided I was in my computer hobby where simple PC specs were the main concern (understandably though).

So I'm still using a Varmillo v87mn with MX Browns that I've had for over two years. I've tried many of the exotic swtiches, Model F being my favorite "typist" design. However, MX Browns are better designed for overall computer use like gaming, web, office use so I just come back to it as my default switch. I do have a special love for my "early black alps" linearized Dell at101 though, it does highlight how scratchy modern MX switches are since the Alps can be buttery smooth. You could say my main love is actually thick PBT+MX Brown then since the thick PBT caps dampen the scratchiness effect a bit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 January 2019, 16:15:47 by ThoughtArtist »