Author Topic: [IC] GMK Solar Red  (Read 23688 times)

Offline upas

[IC] GMK Solar Red
« on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:01:21 »
Hey everyone,
Upas here from CannonKeys. And I've finally decided to design my own GMK set:

GMK Solar Red
featuring glow in the dark keycaps!

The green plastic will glow in the dark

>> Please fill Google Form for Feedback <<

Background:
I'm a casual sneakerhead - I don't get crazy with it (I leave getting crazy for keyboards), but I really do appreciate the design that goes into a lot of sneakers.

This keyset is inspired by one of my favorite sneakers - the Nike Air Yeezy 2 - specifically the "Solar Red" Colorway.
This shoe costs an unreal amount of money.  If you think Keycult and TGR aftermarket prices are bad... you should check out these sneakers's aftermarket prices.
Because of this, I've never owned a pair, but it was one of the first sneakers I really wanted when I was first getting into that hobby.
Similar to keyboards, these sneakers were a limited release - only 5,000 pairs were made. So after missing out on release day, aftermarket prices were already high - and they've only risen since.
One of the standout features of this shoe were that the soles would GLOW IN THE DARK.

In any case - I wanted to design a keyset to pay homage to that sneaker and this is what I came up with. I'd like to introduce GMK Solar Red!

DevastatingTKL by CannonKeys

This set features something we've only seen in one other GMK set (to my knowledge) - glow in the dark keycaps.
You might be familiar with the Glow in the Dark plastic that looks kinda milky, then turns a faint green-yellow when exposed to UV light.
We're going to go for that same glow effect on the green plastic, reminiscent of the sneakers.

Because we're using this special plastic, either the price, or MOQ, or both, may be higher than usual.
To mitigate some of the cost concerns, I'll be using stock colors for the black and the red (CR and RO2 respectively).

Kits:
I'm offering a large base kit, with basic 40s/ortho support, a spacebar kit, and a BRED kit.
Borrowing from the sneaker world, BRED simply means "Black and Red" - for those of you who prefer the classic look.

Base Kit featuring 40s and Ortho Support

Spacebar Kit for Split Space and Alice Support

BRED kit for the classic Red on Black look

Other Comments:
I'm not planning on running a deskmat or novelty kit for this set, but if it seems like that's something people really want, I'd be willing to consider it.
This shoe was released around Kanye West's "Glow in the Dark" Tour. So novelty kits would likely be based on sneakers and elements from that tour.

I'm waiting on a quote from GMK and will be updating this thread with MOQ/Price when we know more.

There are currently no vendors (other than CannonKeys) lined up or estimated timeframe

Special thanks to Rensuya, Minterly, Abec13 for early feedback on this!

Renders:

DevastatingTKL (Dark Grey) by CannonKeys:

Chimera65 (Demonic) by CannonKeys:

Adelie (Red) by Abec13:

>> Please fill Google Form for Feedback <<

Keep up with me here:

« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:03:46 by upas »

Offline upas

Re: [IC] GMK Solar Red
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:01:46 »
Reserved
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:05:45 by upas »

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:05:19 »
very cool and unconventional! i really dig this. i hope you can get the red nice and vivid as show. i would personally for sure get the bred kit too.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:08:46 »
I have GMK Demonic sitting near me (also RO2 on CR), and I'm one of a few of us who were on Donutcat's failed GMK Forge GB (before the other failed Forge GB) which was P3 on CR. I love the colors. Initially I'd thought P3 red (handarbeit, Ceresia) would set you apart from Demonic, but R02 is really the red you want....

Offline fropsie

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:10:21 »
yesyesyesyesyes. Should I say yes one more time? yes. this is bootiful. Love the theme

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:11:16 »
Looks interesting. Will consider it! Does it have a 2u shift in base?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:13:05 »
I just discovered the air yeezy 2 red october. Sneaker themes could provide more source material than Konosuba and AtLA

Offline upas

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:20:28 »
I have GMK Demonic sitting near me (also RO2 on CR), and I'm one of a few of us who were on Donutcat's failed GMK Forge GB (before the other failed Forge GB) which was P3 on CR. I love the colors. Initially I'd thought P3 red (handarbeit, Ceresia) would set you apart from Demonic, but R02 is really the red you want....

RO2 has this bright vibrance that I really like. I think it fits the set and inspiration best. You're right on the money ;)

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:24:23 »
Nicely done Upas, accents are a great hit!

Offline pengoot02

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:27:25 »
naisu
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:33:10 by pengoot02 »

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:30:57 »

RO2 has this bright vibrance that I really like. I think it fits the set and inspiration best. You're right on the money ;)

This is mostly me trying to justify buying it anyways despite owning the same colors! I got some metaverse stuff for accents for it. Maybe someone would want demonic aftermarket...

Offline upas

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:45:13 »
I've already got a few comments and questions about the R2 accent Esc - it's not a mistake, that's there for 40s compatibilty.

You'll notice the base kit forces you to use some accent keys - that's why the BRED kit exists.

Offline urbantheii

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 19:56:03 »
This is great, I am in

Offline upas

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:04:23 »
Looks interesting. Will consider it! Does it have a 2u shift in base?

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

At the moment it does not, but please leave feedback in the form linked in the top of the thread!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:22:57 »
Drop the numpad 00 and add an F13. Add an Alice B to the spacebar kit. Really unconventional inspiration for a keycap set; I like it! Though I'm not sure if I'm quite sold on the aesthetics yet.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:28:10 by konstantin »

Offline upas

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 20:41:33 »
Drop the numpad 00 and add an F13. Add an Alice B to the spacebar kit. Really unconventional inspiration for a keycap set; I like it! Though I'm not sure if I'm quite sold on the aesthetics yet.

I may drop numpad 00 to add F13, but I'm not 100% sold on the idea. It'll depend on IC feedback.

I am probably not going to add the extra Alice B - many keys work in that spot, and I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible.

Offline dannyny

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 21:18:24 »
after the first pic i was like Hmmmmmm yeezys?? then second pic i was like ahhhhh ok. looks good, a few sneaker inspired keycaps popping up.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 21:33:31 »

I may drop numpad 00 to add F13, but I'm not 100% sold on the idea. It'll depend on IC feedback.

I am probably not going to add the extra Alice B - many keys work in that spot, and I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible.

i also added my support for dropping 00 and adding F13 in the IC form although i was a bit rude

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
[IC] GMK Solar Red
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 03:32:38 »
I'm interested in all 3 kits for a complete keyset!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 03:34:47 by William_S_Jones »

Offline Ultimatum

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 05:35:02 »
Nice

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 06:18:28 »
This cyanish accent doesn't harmonize with the strong black and red, I'd adjust it to not cut so harshly using color theory

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 07:09:05 »
Wowy, this is actually kinda sick, love the inspo behind it  :thumb:

Offline onefivenine

• Project Keyboard LLC
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:00:20 »
This cyanish accent doesn't harmonize with the strong black and red, I'd adjust it to not cut so harshly using color theory

It's green.

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:13:46 »
This is literally my dream gmk set that i didn't know I needed.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:18:02 »
p sick

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:23:37 »

It's green.

And likely not even always green, GITD plastic is whitish most of the time (i.e. when not in the dark).

Offline upas

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:52:10 »

It's green.

And likely not even always green, GITD plastic is whitish most of the time (i.e. when not in the dark).

So I talked to GMK about this - we want to make the base plastic green (like in the shoe), and still have it glow.
When it's not glowing, it should still be green. When it's glowing, it'll look like a more saturated green.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 10:54:16 »
So I talked to GMK about this - we want to make the base plastic green (like in the shoe), and still have it glow.
When it's not glowing, it should still be green. When it's glowing, it'll look like a more saturated green.

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 11:26:41 »
Thanks [mention]upas [/mention]

This is a beautiful set! Looking forward to seeing what the price comes out to for this set. Mainly, interested in how a number pad kit will affect the price too if it possible. Again, great job on this set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 12:35:22 »
pretty sick

would prefer a glow/red spacebar kit separate and black bars in the base

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:38:01 »
pretty sick

I support this.
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline dallman5

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:41:57 »
I dig the concept but I really don't get yeezy solar red vibes at the moment. I know you're trying to do stock colors, but to me the red on the solar reds feels much more neon, bordering on pink in most pictures I've seen compared to RO2. I also feel like there's almost too much red in the set at the moment, since solar reds are basically an all black shoe with pops of gid green and neon red. Although, I'm not really sure the best way to reconcile that. 

As another person who has spent too much time ogling at sneakers I can't afford, this is a super cool concept and I'm really excited to see where it goes!  :thumb:

Edit: I wouldn't mind seeing some Kanye novelties personally
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 April 2020, 13:44:33 by dallman5 »
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:28:49 »
Yeah. Kanye novelties. Grabbing the mic from someone on stage. Texting Forbes that they didn't say he made enough. Singing about scooping poop. Straight classy.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:34:49 »
Yeah. Kanye novelties. Grabbing the mic from someone on stage. Texting Forbes that they didn't say he made enough. Singing about scooping poop. Straight classy.

wew

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:53:29 »

wew
;D just keepin it real.

Offline PHRANKL1N

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 21:40:09 »
As a sneakerhead as well, I am definitely in for this one!  Looking forward to it.   :thumb:

Offline dantambok

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 22:23:18 »
i wish the black arrows were in the base kit as well   :(
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline werc

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 07:32:34 »
Cool set. Really like it.

I would love to also see WASD offered as glow in the dark too. Any possibility for this?

Offline chakkii

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:10:45 »
This looks cool, not sure if its just the current renders etc, but in real life the shoes "red" is way more pinkish. So i would try to match that color instead of just red.

Offline satolas

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:36:09 »
Nice set for the Gamers out there :-)
We need nice novelties as well.
edit: It would be interesting to have WASD novelties keycaps as well if you do a novelties kit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2020, 17:38:27 by satolas »

Offline BuddhaBen

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 20:47:37 »
If I can get a MAJA, I am definately picking this up to go on that board.

Offline cns187

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 10:19:24 »
any updates on this? 

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 19:50:09 »
Just popping in to say that I love this and will for sure buy into it!

Offline upas

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 12:14:15 »
any updates on this?

I don't think there was enough interest, so this probably won't run.

Offline rexorapter

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 00:27:35 »
What a bummer. Was looking forward to clean red set

Offline ZoomBoy

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 06:22:46 »
What?! Come on! Glow in the dark keys, everyone!!

Offline menuhin

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 10:47:53 »
pretty sick

+1
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ufoken

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 19:49:03 »
Glow in the dark might be kinda hard. I love the set and I'll settle for a good color match of that greenish yellow. need more yeezy colorway sets.

Offline ZoomBoy

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 08:15:23 »
Any updates? Still have hope this can be produced.

Offline krzank

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 02:54:56 »
Definitely with BRED kit.