Author Topic: Good PC speakers - purchased Ruark MR1 MarkII  (Read 18457 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Good PC speakers
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 05:47:28 »
speaker reviews are notoriously bull-sh%&

Like that it has optical, but that can be done much cheaper with a breakout dac as well.

Optical is really important for PC audio, when the framerates go high the gpu electrical noise goes bzzzzzzrealllighhnnn...

Offline jamster

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 06:31:43 »
Going to agree here- the vast, vast majority of speaker reviews are total bull****. Terribly vague, subjective rubbish that don't benchmark speakers against anything commonly known- e.g. 'these speakers are wonderfully clear, have good imaging and separation' means absolutely nothing.

For me to take a speaker review even semi seriously, the author would need to be providing measurements of frequency response at the bare, bare minimum. And not just posting the graphs from the manufacturer, but taking the measurements himself. This is a super low bar, it is something that is very easy to do, even at home.

I have not heard them, so could be completely off base here, but those Ruarks are also exactly the kind of product I have learned to shy away from. The way they are promoted, the way the emphasis is on bluetooth, lifestyle, textured fabric grilles*, then casually slipping in "75mm woofers". Are they really that small? For over $300?

If I had to get something quickly without too much research, that was not too pricey, I'd just fall back on something non-fancy like KRK Rokits.

* I like grey, textured fabric grilles, just not as a key selling point for speakers. I went and retrofitted grey textured fabric to my grille frames.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 06:33:24 by jamster »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 06:43:26 »
Tried and true Ghetto box is the klipsch promedia 2.1  .

Ghetto line 2, A-Jones Pioneer BS22 Satellite + SW-8MKS Subw, or Polk PSW10 Subw

After that, you get into Shenanigans (up and down unclear)

The audio industry did it to itself when it ran out of low hanging fruits for their engineers to solve, now everyone is hauckn' koolaid spiked w/ snek oil.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 08:00:57 »
So far is like - I find something, ask you guys, then you guys slam it and I end up stunned and indecisive. Which is GOOD! :)
I mean, I have no idea anything about those all speakers specs etc
All I check is the size, look, frequency (to get the lowest I can get for the size I pick) and price.

Those Ruark look amazing, have lowest Hz I can get for that size, but are for some reason very expensive - unless thats the prices you pay nowadays for speakers and I dont know that...

What I'm looking for is the small speakers, lets say max 13cm wide , 2.0 set, £300 max.

All I found so far are Kanto YU2, Audioengine A2+ and those Ruark MR1.
I'm starting to think I may not find anything to replace my HK Soundsticks...
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 08:03:55 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 11:27:14 »
Draw pictar of the room and table and possible positions.

Offline jamster

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 19:55:35 »
The Ruarks might be fine... I'm just wary of they way they are presented. Are you going to be listening to whatever you buy first, or are you ordering sight unseen?

13cm is a very tight constraint to be working with... I am not convinced that there really is anything that 'good' out there with such limited sizing. I also have very tight space constraints, so all I want is some kind of ability to hear Youtube or whatever without reaching for the headphones- I have three computers, two with a single cheap as chips Edifier connected and run as mono, one with a Dell soundbar attached to the screen. For 'good' sound I just put on the headphones.

This guy does some good reviews of small speakers. He's not a prolific reviewer, and some of the products are dated. But he's one of the few reviewers gets into proper critical breakdowns of the products. He's a bit blunt and sarcastic, but I think those are good qualities in a technical reviewer. http://noaudiophile.com/reviews.php

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:27:22 »
Going to agree here- the vast, vast majority of speaker reviews are total bull****. Terribly vague, subjective rubbish that don't benchmark speakers against anything commonly known- e.g. 'these speakers are wonderfully clear, have good imaging and separation' means absolutely nothing.

For me to take a speaker review even semi seriously, the author would need to be providing measurements of frequency response at the bare, bare minimum. And not just posting the graphs from the manufacturer, but taking the measurements himself. This is a super low bar, it is something that is very easy to do, even at home.

Charts can never tell the whole story because it IS subjective.
Everyone hears differently and has different preferences so it's always subjective and that's without even taking into consideration musical taste, expected volume, etc...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline jamster

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:36:58 »

Charts can never tell the whole story because it IS subjective.
Everyone hears differently and has different preferences so it's always subjective and that's without even taking into consideration musical taste, expected volume, etc...

Audio preferences are subjective... but if you know how to read an FR graph then you can pretty quickly figure out how your subjective preferences are going to get along with a particular driver.

Same way that people have different preferences for temperatures. I look at the thermometer outside, it's 20C and I will be warm in shorts and a t-shirt, and know to tell my wife to bring a windbreaker, because she has different preferences.

Certainly, charts do not tell the whole story. And FR charts are ludicrously simple, there is so much that they don't even try to address. But they are such a low bar to pass that they should be included in any 'professional' review where the writer gets paid for it via writing fees or affiliate links.

Personally, I am not hugely experienced in audio, but having bought/tried/made some stuff, I have a reasonable idea of what to avoid when looking at FR graphs. They won't tell me if I will like something, but they could tell me if I am going to hate something so for me they are a good fast screening tool.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:40:33 by jamster »

Offline phinix

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 04 March 2021, 09:56:40 »
I had few responses from guys who have those Ruark speakers and they said these are amazing, very impressed with the sound, bass etc for this size.
One suggested that these sound much better than Audioengine A2+.
So far they growing on me, I really love the look of them and hope they will sound amazing too.
I got a discount from local shop for these, £299 from £329. Still expensive, but if I sell mine, I will have funds for them.
So far, first on my list.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:15:35 »
I got a nice offer for new set of Ruark MR1 Mk2 for £230 :D (brand new is £330).
Its a returned item by client, practically new, still has 2 years warranty.
So tomorrow ill be listening of a nice music through them :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 10:27:59 »
They are in!!!

Plugged them in, optic cable.

Wow.. I love how they play vocals and higher tones (sorry, I'm not an audiophile or music expert) - Feels like other speakers never played some tones at all.
I recently bought LG CX48 as my PC monitor and didn't use my Harman Kardon soundsticks again, just used built-in speakers. Horrible.
But now it feels like even compared to soundsticks, these play a lot more sounds.

Weird. Awesome. Weirdly awesome :)

I was a bit worried that they won't have enough bass for me. I don't listen to techno or bass full music, but wanted to make sure they will "draw" all levels.
I'm impressed how such small speakers have this much punch. Enough for music, movies and games.

I'm a heavy listener, heavy metal etc but lately (read - I'm getting old) started to appreciate other music - I love blues, jazz, old rock. Tomorrow is my 41st birthday and I bought these for myself. LOVE IT :D

Now listening Billie Holiday - All or nothing at all - amazing how you can hear all instruments.

Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells' Live at the BBC 1973 - mmm.... I would love to buy a turntable and listen to some vinyl, but don't have space for it. Some day...

OK, here you can now see how small my room is - this is why these Ruark speakers are biggest I could use.

264306-0

264308-1
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2021, 11:31:41 by phinix »

Offline jamster

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 21:55:47 »
They are in!!!

Wow.. I love how they play vocals and higher tones (sorry, I'm not an audiophile or music expert) - Feels like other speakers never played some tones at all.
I recently bought LG CX48 as my PC monitor and didn't use my Harman Kardon soundsticks again, just used built-in speakers. Horrible.
But now it feels like even compared to soundsticks, these play a lot more sounds.

I was a bit worried that they won't have enough bass for me. I don't listen to techno or bass full music, but wanted to make sure they will "draw" all levels.
I'm impressed how such small speakers have this much punch. Enough for music, movies and games.

I'm a heavy listener, heavy metal etc but lately (read - I'm getting old) started to appreciate other music - I love blues, jazz, old rock. Tomorrow is my 41st birthday and I bought these for myself. LOVE IT :D

Now listening Billie Holiday - All or nothing at all - amazing how you can hear all instruments.

Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells' Live at the BBC 1973 - mmm.... I would love to buy a turntable and listen to some vinyl, but don't have space for it. Some day...

OK, here you can now see how small my room is - this is why these Ruark speakers are biggest I could use.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Very nice!

It's interesting with better audio gear you can hear totally new stuff appear in familiar music.

What is that PC case, is that the one made by some enthusiast guy in Poland or Hungary?

Offline phinix

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 03:43:29 »
They are in!!!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Very nice!

It's interesting with better audio gear you can hear totally new stuff appear in familiar music.

What is that PC case, is that the one made by some enthusiast guy in Poland or Hungary?

Yes, made in Poland, DR ZĄBER SENTRY 2.0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Good PC speakers - purchased Ruark MR1 MarkII
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 18:42:53 »
Just replaced my very old Antec Soundscience Rockus 3D's that have been getting an increasingly loud hiss over the past year. It became so bad I had to really crank the volume because the hiss was actually overpowering the audio, and it happened so gradually I only really noticed when someone else brought it to my attention. The silence was deafening  :))

I've replaced them with the much loved Klipsch THX 2.1s, and they are obviously already much better speakers. No wonder they have become a trope for go-to multimedia speaker recommendations from those who know. Plus I got 'em for under $100 brand new, which is crazy considering they are $180 speakers.

Quite pleased with these thus far  :thumb:

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 20:32:47 »
I used to have a pair of KRK Rokit5 G3 back when I was using monitors, but due to space constraint, I'd had to let it go and replaced it with an LG soundbar. Back when I was looking for a pair of studio monitors, the JBL LSR305 was the 'go to' pair, I couldn't find a pair in stock at the time, so I went for the Rokit instead. IIRC, I ran my Oppo HA-1 from my PS via a USB cable, the Rokit5 G3's were hooked up to my Oppo via RCA in unbalanced mode, I could have been using Balanced mode as the Oppo does have Balanced output.....can't remember now.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 08:46:42 »
My speakers continue to collect dust now (Kanto YU2's) since I got a pair of Phillips SHP9500's for $50 USD new.  So far loving the set.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 09:22:20 »
much loved Klipsch THX 2.1s, and they are obviously already much better speakers. No wonder they have become a trope for go-to multimedia speaker recommendations from those who know. Plus I got 'em for under $100 brand new, which is crazy considering they are $180 speakers.

The promedia 2.1 ?

Offline phinix

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 08:45:09 »
My Ruark are freaking amazing.
Best speakers I could pick for this size and price.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 09:03:54 »

ruark + 15" suboofr..  phinix needs this.

Offline phinix

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 09:36:33 »

ruark + 15" suboofr..  phinix needs this.
Show Image

nah :P

I really dont need woofer. For my desktop purposes its more than enough.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 20 February 2022, 11:25:15 »
much loved Klipsch THX 2.1s, and they are obviously already much better speakers. No wonder they have become a trope for go-to multimedia speaker recommendations from those who know. Plus I got 'em for under $100 brand new, which is crazy considering they are $180 speakers.

The promedia 2.1 ?

Yeah, the THX versions not the remakes though. From what I've read, they sound much more neutral than the new ones.