Author Topic: [GB] Alpine Winter (Shipping Replacements)  (Read 2272604 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Alpine Winter (Orders sorted, pics posted)
« Reply #550 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 09:08:08 »
I definitely think the HHKB layout is an incredibly aesthetically pleasing layout because of its symmetry, much like the WKL layout on vintage boards or TKL customs.

The actual HHKB isn't even symmetric though!  :P  (speaking mainly of the bottom row, which is usually adapted to be symmetric for MX boards)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #551 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:07:50 »
Good news. As expected, SP is going to make good on the spacebar error and get them shipped out to me ASAP. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what "ASAP" means, but probably a couple of weeks.

Of the 96 orders placed, 49 are on hold waiting for the corrected spacebar add-on packs. Surprisingly, only two of those people have contacted me so far about shipping their partial orders early. If you want me to box up your partial order and send it out with the others this week, PM me ASAP. Just know that you will be responsible for separate shipping charges for the spacebars once they arrive.

Any news on when shipping will occur?

...I can start shipping those orders early this week.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #552 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:31:51 »
Cool! Thanks for the update NJBizzle!

Offline axtran

« Reply #553 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:36:46 »
Any word on when you'll know how many extras you have? :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #554 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 13:41:36 »
I don't have any extra sets. They are all accounted for.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline axtran

« Reply #555 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 14:35:46 »
I don't have any extra sets. They are all accounted for.

Aww okay, thanks.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #556 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 15:18:58 »
The shades are a little brighter than I expected from the renders, but I'm not complaining.

Also, I'm guessing that you will not be needing any help with sorting, looks like you have it under control.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline taropaste

« Reply #557 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:46:48 »
The shades are a little brighter than I expected from the renders, but I'm not complaining.

I agree. They are a bit brighter.

Does you guys have any tips on removing ALPS keycaps? I've already removed them once on my v60 but it was a bit of a pain with the stabilizers. I used a wired keycap puller and just yanked them out. Took a bit of force and I think I might have broken the puller. Am I doing it wrong?  :-[

Thanks in advance!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #558 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 21:50:50 »
Wiggle and pull wiggle and pull.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #559 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 22:39:46 »
Wiggle and pull wiggle and pull.

It took me a moment to remember I'm on a keyboard forum

Offline childofthehorn

Re: [GB] Alpine Winter (Sorting & packing this weekend!)
« Reply #560 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 10:39:22 »
Just Beware that the screw holes can snap even while in use. I am guessing that there was a defect in the original plastic piece around there since the others are fine. Mine never left the desk and I only noticed as the feel changed a touch.

I got the HHKB plate but I wasn't sure when I could find a specific case for it, but that looks really good.
I've had this acrylic TEX case for a while, this is the first build I've used it with that I actually like.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #561 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 09:18:35 »
Good news. As expected, SP is going to make good on the spacebar error and get them shipped out to me ASAP. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what "ASAP" means, but probably a couple of weeks.

Of the 96 orders placed, 49 are on hold waiting for the corrected spacebar add-on packs. Surprisingly, only two of those people have contacted me so far about shipping their partial orders early. If you want me to box up your partial order and send it out with the others this week, PM me ASAP. Just know that you will be responsible for separate shipping charges for the spacebars once they arrive.

Any news on when shipping will occur?

...I can start shipping those orders early this week.

Excellent! I'm excited to get mine =)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 January 2016, 14:53:21 by merlin64 »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #562 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:26:24 »
Hey all. The group buy gods struck my whole family ill this week (including me) so I didn't pack or ship any orders.

The good news is, the replacement space bars came in. According to the job slips, two of the three missing sizes were produced around the same date as the others, but must have mistakenly been left out. The third one was produced on the 13th and then they expedited the shipping to me.

This means that even if you contacted me about shipping a partial order, I now have all the parts here to ship your order in full and save you the extra shipping. So orders will be packed up and shipped in join order.

My family is mostly recovered now, so I hope to get some orders packed this weekend and shipped out next week. I'll keep you all up to date. Sorry for the delay.

My boards:
More

Offline shoostep

« Reply #563 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 13:33:56 »
Thanks for the update, I am glad that you and your family are feeling better.

Offline Tyr

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:12:04 »
Awesome news and I hope you all feel better.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #565 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:19:12 »
Hey all. The group buy gods struck my whole family ill this week (including me) so I didn't pack or ship any orders.

The good news is, the replacement space bars came in. According to the job slips, two of the three missing sizes were produced around the same date as the others, but must have mistakenly been left out. The third one was produced on the 13th and then they expedited the shipping to me.

I'm wondering where they went if they were produced.  Did they go on strike and walk out of the factory?  Fall into an HVAC vent?  Hibernate for the winter?  There has to be a good story here regarding those spacebars.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #566 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 16:53:05 »
Those tools were probably just used on another projects so it was held back. No big mystery.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:11:28 »

I'm wondering where they went if they were produced.  Did they go on strike and walk out of the factory?  Fall into an HVAC vent?  Hibernate for the winter?  There has to be a good story here regarding those spacebars.
I didn't get a story, just a short message mentioning "confusion on the production floor." But they were dated late December, so I'm chalking it up to someone being on vacation before they actually left, if you catch my drift...

My boards:
More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #568 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 17:50:38 »
UPDATE: We got the add-on spacebars sorted into sets today, and boxed up about 50 orders that are now ready to ship this week. I couldn't exactly go in join order, because the boxes I've got on hand were too small for multi-set orders. I've got larger boxes on order now for the remaining orders. I honestly thought I had more time, then the spacebars arrived more quickly than expected. Those boxes will arrive some time this week and I'll start packing the remaining orders and get them shipped ASAP.

My boards:
More

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #569 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 21:04:48 »
Good to hear about your family, oh and the space bars as well

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #570 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 21:45:51 »
It looks like winter has finally arrived in CT so I can't wait for my AW set :) :)

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #571 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 09:28:27 »
Man, Now I have to build the keyboard! QC and Alps Blues FTW.

Still looking for an Infinity standard or hacker plate. Have Bent plate to trade, but more than happy to buy.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #572 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 19:14:52 »
UPDATE: We got the add-on spacebars sorted into sets today, and boxed up about 50 orders that are now ready to ship this week. I couldn't exactly go in join order, because the boxes I've got on hand were too small for multi-set orders. I've got larger boxes on order now for the remaining orders. I honestly thought I had more time, then the spacebars arrived more quickly than expected. Those boxes will arrive some time this week and I'll start packing the remaining orders and get them shipped ASAP.

Sweet!  Looking forward to matching keycaps.   :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Tyr

« Reply #573 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 03:37:06 »
UPDATE: We got the add-on spacebars sorted into sets today, and boxed up about 50 orders that are now ready to ship this week. I couldn't exactly go in join order, because the boxes I've got on hand were too small for multi-set orders.

Finally: a reason to feel good about only ordering one set.  ;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #574 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 15:33:48 »
I've been checking my mailbox every day for some Alpine brrrrrrr Winter!! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #575 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:38:48 »

Show Image

He might be holding off on the Dollies and Fn caps.  They're going out to him this weekend.  Each one is a bit different since I was playing around instead of aiming for identical caps.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #576 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 16:40:21 »

Show Image

He might be holding off on the Dollies and Fn caps.  They're going out to him this weekend.  Each one is a bit different since I was playing around instead of aiming for identical caps.

WELL THANKS FOR HOLDING EVERYONE UP....geeesshhhh...ugggghh

:D

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #577 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:23:48 »
It's not actually nubbinator's fault. It's just been a bunch of stupid little irritating things holding me up.

Firstly, as I already mentioned, I was sick last week. So this week I went on to Stamps.com to create my account (it's only free for the first 30 days so I didn't want to do it before I was ready to ship). That's when I found out that Stamps.com doesn't work on Linux. IT'S A WEBSITE GUYS. So I tried a user agent spoofer but still ran into issues. I tried a Windows VM but never got anywhere with getting the printer working. So I'm making arrangements to use the shipping scale and computer at work, but that restricts me schedule-wise. Who ever heard of a website that cares what OS you're using?

In the meantime, I got the bigger boxes in for the remaining orders, and I got about half of those packed up then ran out of bubble wrap. So I ordered more of that and it should be here on Monday.

Since most of the orders are sorted and boxed up, all that remains is weighing and labeling them. I'm trying my hardest to carve out the time to do that this week, but the evenings I had set aside for that earlier this week were wasted on the Stamps.com compatibility issue. And I have family obligations tomorrow and Saturday night.

I'm a bit frustrated because so far in this buy I felt like things were going so smoothly, and now all these stupid little uncontrollable speed bumps have come up and completely deflated my ego. Should I have anticipated the Stamps.com issue? Should I have done more to prepare while waiting for the caps to be produced, like estimating bubble wrap usage? Those don't sound like things a normal person would think to do. I guess just chalk it all up to lack of experience...

So I guess if I could get just one point across to you all, please just know that I am not just sitting on my hands over here. I'm working on getting these things out to you, and believe me it's on my mind all the time. You've all been incredibly patient so far, but I've been on the other side of the table and I know that while we all appreciate good communication, at some point you just want the stupid stuff to ship.

My boards:
More

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #578 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:30:09 »
You're not alone. If you can figure out how to ship first class from the stupid USPS login, please let me know. I hate their website. Hang in there bud, we appreciate you and your shipping efforts. :D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/Ż
    • Mashby
« Reply #579 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:44:28 »
digi is right, you are definitely not alone. Anyone who has had anything to do with running a group buy has been bitten by the shipping gremlins one time or another. For some reason, printing postage akin to printing money and all sorts of companies try to micro-manage that process through Java, printer drivers, etc. Had no idea an OS would be problematic.  :eek:

Stamps.com can definitely be faster, but I opted to just use USPS and save each label as a PDF. PayPal has tools as well that can save you from having to re-enter each address, but their Java implementation may be problematic. Don't know if that helps you or not, but it's what has worked for me in the past.

Regardless of what you do, the fact that you've been so transparent and communicated what's happening with the group buy makes all the difference in the world. Bumps in the road are to be expected and sharing that information with everyone involved allows for everyone's expectations to be managed. Thank you for providing an example of how well a group buy can be run.  :thumb:

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #580 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 17:44:31 »
There's no rush :)

**** happens and you've been a wonderful GB runner with zero hiccups so don't worry

Offline E3E

« Reply #581 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:16:59 »
You're not alone. If you can figure out how to ship first class from the stupid USPS login, please let me know. I hate their website. Hang in there bud, we appreciate you and your shipping efforts. :D

I know you aren't a big fan of using paypal, NJ, but this is a handy way to print labels and get things out; I use it all the time.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_ship-now

You can print first class labels this way.

Offline E3E

« Reply #582 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:18:39 »
I definitely think the HHKB layout is an incredibly aesthetically pleasing layout because of its symmetry, much like the WKL layout on vintage boards or TKL customs.

The actual HHKB isn't even symmetric though!  :P  (speaking mainly of the bottom row, which is usually adapted to be symmetric for MX boards)

This is a good point! The 7u WKL and HHKB-inspired layout is very symmetrical. The 6u is still pleasant though. Having a perfect copy of the HHKB's layout is pretty awesome. :D I can't wait to see some Alps HHKB builds!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #583 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 18:24:33 »
As one man you've still put together a faster buy than Massdrop can. I have no beef.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #584 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 19:32:06 »
It's not actually nubbinator's fault. It's just been a bunch of stupid little irritating things holding me up.

Firstly, as I already mentioned, I was sick last week. So this week I went on to Stamps.com to create my account (it's only free for the first 30 days so I didn't want to do it before I was ready to ship). That's when I found out that Stamps.com doesn't work on Linux. IT'S A WEBSITE GUYS. So I tried a user agent spoofer but still ran into issues. I tried a Windows VM but never got anywhere with getting the printer working. So I'm making arrangements to use the shipping scale and computer at work, but that restricts me schedule-wise. Who ever heard of a website that cares what OS you're using?

In the meantime, I got the bigger boxes in for the remaining orders, and I got about half of those packed up then ran out of bubble wrap. So I ordered more of that and it should be here on Monday.

Since most of the orders are sorted and boxed up, all that remains is weighing and labeling them. I'm trying my hardest to carve out the time to do that this week, but the evenings I had set aside for that earlier this week were wasted on the Stamps.com compatibility issue. And I have family obligations tomorrow and Saturday night.

I'm a bit frustrated because so far in this buy I felt like things were going so smoothly, and now all these stupid little uncontrollable speed bumps have come up and completely deflated my ego. Should I have anticipated the Stamps.com issue? Should I have done more to prepare while waiting for the caps to be produced, like estimating bubble wrap usage? Those don't sound like things a normal person would think to do. I guess just chalk it all up to lack of experience...

So I guess if I could get just one point across to you all, please just know that I am not just sitting on my hands over here. I'm working on getting these things out to you, and believe me it's on my mind all the time. You've all been incredibly patient so far, but I've been on the other side of the table and I know that while we all appreciate good communication, at some point you just want the stupid stuff to ship.

So from the looks of it, best case scenario, shipping sometime next week. Thanks for putting up with all the issues man, we appreciate it!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #585 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 22:13:09 »
Don't feel deflated about the stamps thing.  I went through similar speedbumps with my GB.  Remember the Paypal issues?  Remember how I still have extra stuff?  These things happen, and you can't plan for all of them. 

I'm sure everyone here is excited with anticipation for things to ship, but we aren't impatient.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #586 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 16:33:46 »
Dollies and Fns are in the mail.  There may be more than 5 sets that go out to people.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #587 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:07:33 »
I borrowed the postage scale from work this weekend and I've now got weights recorded for all the packages that are finished. Boxes are folded for the remaining sets and the bubble wrap should be here by Monday.

I've explored my options for shipping label creation and it looks like the best way is going to be too use the USPS web shipping tool. I can pull everyone's info from my Google doc and import it into the USPS address book, so no manual entry which is a plus.

After my family obligations are through tonight I'm planning to spend some time creating shipping labels. I see no reason that I can't have at least some of these sets in the mail on Monday.

I'm super excited to see what Nubbinator has come up with! I'll post some pics when they arrive.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #588 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:09:04 »
njbair, would you still want me to head up your way to help out?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:10:57 »
I appreciate the offer but the sorting is basically done. SP having all the base kits sorted and collated was a life saver.

We'll have to find some other excuse to hang out soon, though.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #590 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 17:13:10 »
Sounds good. Thanks for all your handwork! Really excited for this set

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #591 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 18:14:08 »
Dollies and Fns are in the mail.  There may be more than 5 sets that go out to people.

I appreciate the offer but the sorting is basically done. SP having all the base kits sorted and collated was a life saver.

We'll have to find some other excuse to hang out soon, though.

You guys are the heros Alps enthusiasts need  :thumb:

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #592 on: Sat, 23 January 2016, 18:51:38 »
Great news njbair.  I can't wait to see these out in the wild. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #593 on: Sun, 24 January 2016, 18:22:44 »
Phew! Finally caught up with all the happenings with Alpine Winter!

NJ you been a great GB leader so far, actually being absent I didn't realize anything went wrong haha, but you handled that really fast and well!
Really appreciate all the effort you've put in to making this GB great  :thumb: Excited to see these puppies coming in! It doesn't usually snow in California, but it's about to!

Now I gotta read through BlueNalgene's thread to figure out why I was sent an ALPS to Cherry MX insert haha.

Edit: As I was peeing I realized DUH it snows in California! I meant to say it doesn't snow in the Southern California :P

« Last Edit: Sun, 24 January 2016, 18:30:05 by Muffinbottoms »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #594 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 22:56:48 »

Nubs! by Nick Bair, on Flickr

My boards:
More

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #595 on: Mon, 25 January 2016, 23:12:54 »

Show Image

Oh man! Those are fantastic.

Offline braidn

« Reply #596 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:16:28 »
So fantastic! And from the background it looks like you got the stabs to work Nj?

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #597 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 07:21:27 »
Show Image

So awesome! I kinda like the soulless dead eyes of the centre one  :D

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #598 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 08:20:32 »
So fantastic! And from the background it looks like you got the stabs to work Nj?
Not with the stock Matias wires. I bought a wire bender and some 1mm music wire from a local hobby supply shop and bent my own stabs.

My boards:
More

Offline braidn

« Reply #599 on: Tue, 26 January 2016, 09:00:54 »
Not with the stock Matias wires. I bought a wire bender and some 1mm music wire from a local hobby supply shop and bent my own stabs.

Do you have some pictures of the finished stabs? What wire bender?