Author Topic: In-stock hotswap options  (Read 4376 times)

Offline toxiniscold

In-stock hotswap options
« on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:02:01 »
Hey guys, super beginner into the custom keyboard world and want to start my first build using a hotswap pcb. The only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger on a build is that it seems like almost all of the hotswap 60-65% options are almost always sold out whenever I look on kbdfans and similar sites. Does anybody have any recommendations on readily available hotswappable pcbs 60/65/TKL sizes? Looking for just the PCB or entire keyboard kit in the ~200 range. Thanks!

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
Re: In-stock hotswap options
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:43:53 »
We've got the HS60 in stock and ready to go - https://mechboards.co.uk/product/hs60-pcb/

Offline toxiniscold

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:45:53 »
Would the HS60 be compatible with something like say a TOFU case?

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:54:18 »
Hey - Yea it is - just might need some insulation tape over the standoffs so stop shorting (it's like that on most metal cases)

Offline t4keheart

• In search of that perfect switch...
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 20:10:17 »
Well, I got the GMMK TKL, which is a decent board imo. Got it primarily for the hot-swap switch feature, to try out new switches on.
Other than that you've got the massdrop ctrl, alt on amazon, the cheapo $60 kits, the tofu on kbdfans, lots of options.
Durgod Hades - Box Jade
Durgod Taurus (white) - MX White (Milk)
Drop ALT (high profile) - Halo Clear (soon to be Zealio)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 22:11:24 »
GK64 is in stock.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 21:18:52 »
When my entire new office got into mechanical keyboards, the GMMK took over, one got a drop.

Most of us like large keyboards (Which I'm in shock about because I've been very alone on that in shops for awhile now.) So almost to a T they were all fullsize, though Drop guy of course could only get a TKL design.

I'm very happy with them. The lighting on the GMMK is killer too.

If anyone knows of other ones with amazing lighting like this, I'd be interested in knowing about them as well, the Keyboard virus is still spreading in my office, even though we are all working from home right now.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline tixohojkro

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 04:20:03 »
Would the HS60 be compatible with kroger satisfaction survey something like say a TOFU case?

i too have the same doubt, anybody help me out.! 

I tried what was instructed but, having problem. can anyone tell me what should be done?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 02:05:57 by tixohojkro »

Offline envyy24

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 04:54:22 »
I dont know what are you looking for specifically, because gk61 and gk64 are almost always available. GMMK is a very good beginning board too. hotswap on paper sounds good but until you use it then you may find out that it is not perfect.

Some switches (gateron yellow comes to mind) come off very easily, when you are just pulling the keycap off for example. And hot swap sockets dont last forever, you can only swap in and out for so many times. So yeah, you can put two and two together here.

Plus, it is very easy to mess up and bend a pin or two while inserting, and yeah that can damage the socket.

Im not saying hot swap is bad, all I am saying is invest reasonable amount for a hot swap and try out many switches until you find your best match. Then solder that **** in a normal pcb.

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 07:53:50 »
+1 for the GK64. Readily available and cheap as hell. If you're into using the RGB though and reprogramming keys and macros, I'd look somewhere else, since the software support for the GK64 is a nightmare. I'd personally take a look at any of the new KBDFans 6x hotswap boards that support QMK, or any QMK board for that matter, which should be like $10-20 more expensive than a GK64, but worth it in the long run.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 12:04:02 »

If anyone knows of other ones with amazing lighting like this, I'd be interested in knowing about them as well, the Keyboard virus is still spreading in my office, even though we are all working from home right now.

If you like hotswap, you might want to consider the Monstargear products:

https://www.monstargears.com/51

They are behind in stock because of the Corona, but hopefully things smooth out over there.

KBDFans has the KBD67, which is a nice keyboard for the price and has HS, but the layout on the HS version has an unusual backspace layout. And the waiting period is too long.

They also have a new 75% coming out, that also has hotswap.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 15:26:56 »

If you like hotswap, you might want to consider the Monstargear products:

https://www.monstargears.com/51

They are behind in stock because of the Corona, but hopefully things smooth out over there.

KBDFans has the KBD67, which is a nice keyboard for the price and has HS, but the layout on the HS version has an unusual backspace layout. And the waiting period is too long.

They also have a new 75% coming out, that also has hotswap.

ooh, appreciate the recommendations, I'll take a look.  :)

I can already tell that the Yellow keyboard on the top is something I'd want to own.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow