geekhack Community > Input Devices

IBM Labtec SpaceBall 3D (33L3252) Trackball

(1/2) > >>

bigpook:
Any one have any experience with this? It looks kind of cool.
From what I can gather it seems designed for use in 3D enviroments.
Would it still work as a "regular" mouse?

link

bigpook:
Thanks for the link, I saw that particular mouse in one of the links I was chasing down. But all the links I found were people selling them. Couldn't find any reviews on them though.
So this kind of mouse is specialized for CAD/CAM. I take it that is not an everyday Joe User mouse. I liked it because the ball is way out there, it looked easy to manipulate...

xyzzy:
I've found this review of the 3Dconnexion Spaceball 5000, which looks identical (except for the colors) to the IBM/Labtec one from the first post.

I guess the internals are the same, and it was just rebranded by IBM when bundled with their PCs?

bigpook:
Thanks xyzzy, that answers my question:

The Spaceball is not a substitute for the mouse, trackball or wacom tablet and is intended to complement the user’s usual input devices rather than replace them. The Spaceball workflow and feel is not at all similar to working with a mouse-plus-wacom combination.

Rajagra:
You might want to check out http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=336 for general purpose drivers for the new version of the hardware.

Without the hacked drivers it can only be used for 3D applications and Google Earth.

These are awsome devices looking for a purpose. A shame Logitech bought them out (?) then sat on the idea without developing it to its potential.

--- Quote from: bigpook;90010 ---The Spaceball is not a substitute for the mouse, trackball or wacom tablet and is intended to complement the user’s usual input devices rather than replace them.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: link above ---With a driver , SpaceNavigator don t “emulate” a keyb/mouse/Joy, but IS a keyboard , IS a mouse and IS a Joystick.
--- End quote ---

I don't have one myself so I can't say how true that is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version