Author Topic: Port Forwarding (Desperate)  (Read 4596 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

Port Forwarding (Desperate)
« on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 04:38:35 »
So I'm trying to play Quake with an old buddy, but we have been up for 3 hours together trying to get it to work.  One of us hosts, the other types our IP address to join, nothing.

Here is my IP information:119329-0

Here is my static IP input:

Here is my router port forwarding settings:119331-2

Yet when I go to canyouseeme.org and test to see if that port is open, it says that it is not.

What are we supposed to do?

Offline 3K

Re: Port Forwarding (Desperate)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 04:45:55 »
Tried to deactivate the firewall on host / client side?

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 04:48:42 »
I think Virtual Server isn't what you're looking for
Might be the Special Applications tab

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 05:24:03 »

Yes.  I wish that was the problem.

According to port forward, virtual servers is how to do it.  Went to special applications tab, gave similar options, put in same information, still doesn't work.  canyouseeme.org does not see me in any of the ports I "forwarded."

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 05:33:25 »

Yes.  I wish that was the problem.

According to port forward, virtual servers is how to do it.  Went to special applications tab, gave similar options, put in same information, still doesn't work.  canyouseeme.org does not see me in any of the ports I "forwarded."

I had an ISP change recently, and I ran into a portforwarding problem for my Wii U. Turns out I had all my ports (minus needed ones like 80 and 443) for security. I had to request for them to disable their security in order for my games to connect to others.

Have you had any other issues with games that would lead you to portforward?

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:08:02 »
I had an ISP change recently, and I ran into a portforwarding problem for my Wii U. Turns out I had all my ports (minus needed ones like 80 and 443) for security. I had to request for them to disable their security in order for my games to connect to others.

Have you had any other issues with games that would lead you to portforward?

Well, the only game we're attempting to play at the moment is Quake 1.  If he comes to my house, he can just punch in my internal IP and connect, but the port is definitely blocked if he punches in my external IP from his house and the connection is rejected.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 13:13:04 »
Mmmmm... Long are the old days of this.

Unfortunately ISPs are pretty strict about this now.

I don't think this is going to work thorough a NAT.

You will need to contact your ISP. If this was on LAN you would be fine but since now you trying to do this through a WAN things get complicated.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:04:46 »

You will need to contact your ISP. If this was on LAN you would be fine but since now you trying to do this through a WAN things get complicated.

So you're saying I'm doing this correctly, but Comcast has implemented new rules that bypass whatever I'm doing?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:26:49 »

So you're saying I'm doing this correctly, but Comcast has implemented new rules that bypass whatever I'm doing?

so while your home router may be configured to accept certain packets from that port, Comcast's gateway may reject those packets.

It is usually a good idea to use ports that are dedicated for that service/game as most ISPs will implement this on their ACLS.

Reading that thread I posted form reddit, they stated some specific ports to use for the service.

Its a huge vulnerability for ISPs to allow all TCP/UDP traffic on all ports.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 15:36:48 »
so while your home router may be configured to accept certain packets from that port, Comcast's gateway may reject those packets.

It is usually a good idea to use ports that are dedicated for that service/game as most ISPs will implement this on their ACLS.

Reading that thread I posted form reddit, they stated some specific ports to use for the service.

Its a huge vulnerability for ISPs to allow all TCP/UDP traffic on all ports.

So basically we may just be out of luck completely unless I can somehow get through Comcast customer support and find someone able/willing to even know what I'm talking about.  Yay.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:07:51 »
I would use qtracker to both join the same empty deathmatch server (theres tons of empty q1 servers).

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:57:36 »
Easiest way I get things like this connected to each other when they're being fickle is to throw both in the dmz on each side, respectively.  Now, your desktop will need to be hardened as it will be exposed to all sorts of junk coming at it from the Internet, but the connection to the other system should work fine too.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:12:56 »
I don't think you need to define a static IP address. I encountered quite a few problems with AOE2 and UT99 on LAN and over the internet and we just used regular IPs and connected to each other direct. We never used virtual servers or forced static IP addresses.

*shrug*
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 22:15:39 »
I don't think you need to define a static IP address. I encountered quite a few problems with AOE2 and UT99 on LAN and over the internet and we just used regular IPs and connected to each other direct. We never used virtual servers or forced static IP addresses.

*shrug*
If you bypass routers and just connect the computers direct, it will pretty much always work.  But this may not be an option for those that have multiple computers that need to stay online, hence using the dmz setting in the router.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 01:58:08 »
If these computers are physically separate and connected via the internet, you are at the mercy of the respective internet service providers.  If they are blocking the port/s you need, you will need to contact them to unblock them (if they even allow that), or maybe they provide a web interface to customise your account's firewall.

One of the guys at work was trying to send email through our corporate server but couldn't.  After quite a lot of troubleshooting, he discovered that his ISP blocked the respective ports in and out.  He was able to disable the blocking via their web interface, and everything worked after that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 03:27:54 »
We actually did get Quake working eventually, but co-op was absolutely terrible.  You could just respawn infinitely, making for zero challenge.  Quake is either single player or deathmatch, it seems.

We went back to Doom after a single level :-/.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 06:37:55 »
Ahh, packet delays were probably too much.  I remember running across this even on a busy local lan back in the day.

Doom was always much more tolerant of such things.  Too bad the multiplayer changed the monsters on each level.  It was fun going through levels as a team.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2016, 06:53:01 by SamirD »