Author Topic: IBM 3278 review (beam springs)  (Read 5387 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
IBM 3278 review (beam springs)
« on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 10:17:15 »
A lot of people have been waiting long for this one, but here it finally is: a beam spring review! Hope you enjoy it, this was quite a keyboard :D .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sheepz

Re: IBM 3278 review (beam springs)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 11:51:59 »
beautiful sound!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 17:48:09 »
Now I never want to try beam springs because it will just make everything else feel awful.

Way to make SKCM Blue feel like MX Blacks.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:01:42 »
I've been waiting for someone to do a video on a 3278 for quite some time. Brilliant review mate :thumb:

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:18:17 »
Now I never want to try beam springs because it will just make everything else feel awful. Way to make SKCM Blue feel like MX Blacks.
Nah. Beam spring switches are neat, but nothing magical. Personally I like both clicky Alps switches and Model Fs better. Among similar switch designs, I like the Alps and Marquardt versions better.

Beam spring keyboards do have the best keycaps ever though.

Chyros: counting the solenoid sound when comparing volume is totally cheating. I could put a giant solenoid in a little metal box inside a rubber dome board if I wanted to
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:35:31 by jacobolus »

Offline dante

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 December 2016, 18:30:24 »
Thank you for taking the mystery out of these!

Offline hanoipho

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 January 2017, 07:12:03 »
Thanks for your review! :thumb:

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 16:21:49 »
Are we sure about the 92 millisecond response time? Whatever it is shouldn't be different than the model F with an xwhatsit I wouldn't think since the chips used and the sensing is the same?

I have a friend that can type over 100wpm and my beamspring keeps up just fine, so I don't think typing speed should be an issue, but I don't have science to back it

Never really tried it for gaming though.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 19:03:43 »
Are we sure about the 92 millisecond response time? Whatever it is shouldn't be different than the model F with an xwhatsit I wouldn't think since the chips used and the sensing is the same?

I have a friend that can type over 100wpm and my beamspring keeps up just fine, so I don't think typing speed should be an issue, but I don't have science to back it
I think you're misinterpreting the thing. What I mean is that after a keypress, the switch physically takes a very long time to pop back up, leading to long actuation periods. This has nothing to do with the converter, Under no conditions was I able to make a switch actuate for LESS THAN 92 milliseconds. This is not a delay, it's an activation period. If you're trying to make small adjustments, such as in shooters, roguelikes, or really anything that requires precision movement, this is an immediate loss, because it's not possible.
Check my keyboard video reviews: